Callendar Park 7/10/12

Kenny Christie

• Committee

Hoping to be there. If I can afford it.

Cyclocross has the highest cost/ride ratio of anything I've done.

Current projected costs are about £1.50 per kilometre including:

entry fees, fuel, gear breakages, cow bell replacement, Flandrian flag washing and artisan hipster beer purchase.

Last year I managed to ride 2.5 races and now I am looking at deep section carbon tubs and new lightweight brakes (that might actually work). This will increase costs to about a tenner per lap.

I must be completely insane.

See you in the mud.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions
Hoping to be there. If I can afford it.

Cyclocross has the highest cost/ride ratio of anything I've done.

Current projected costs are about £1.50 per kilometre including:

entry fees, fuel, gear breakages, cow bell replacement, Flandrian flag washing and artisan hipster beer purchase.

Last year I managed to ride 2.5 races and now I am looking at deep section carbon tubs and new lightweight brakes (that might actually work). This will increase costs to about a tenner per lap.

I must be completely insane.

See you in the mud.

Alan

PAH, THAT'S NOTHING!

At last weekends (shh, Triathlon) fellow racer avoided common approach of mtb and went for cross bike

Carbon trek, 60mm carbon tubs, carbon bars and stem, topped off with Ultegra Di2

Imagine stacking that :angryfire

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Jann, you can indeed do cx on an MTb but today was defo a cx bike course.

Absolutely gorgeous route in the grounds of Callendar House. Very fast combination of grass and track with only a couple of obligatory dismounts plus, in my case, an unplanned dismount using the patent McLean "lock up and slide" method.

Yes cross season is here folks! Like the fat, drunken uncle at the family wedding who is great fun for a while but is really a bit tiring and you just wish he would go away by, say, December.

Time to grow a goatee and get that Belgian flag tattooed on the back of your neck ( just kidding. Jets, do NOT do this, unless your name is Mulholland in which case it would be funny).

Big turnout today in hot sunny weather. Hamish McLaren was right up there for most of the race and on for a podium in the youth C event but lost a couple of places in a crash, probably due to his coaches spending too much time watching Eurosport instead of helping the guy.

Danny Mulholland managed to avoid all his coaches' useless advice and rode a very strong race in the Youth A and B event which is now very scarily fast. Not sure on place. Some of the sixteen year olds will be raving with the vets next year and all you 40 something's are going to get your backsides kicked; hard.

Massive respect to Adam who was expecting to join the U12 race but was too old and had to race in the Youth AB instead. He dug really deep to finish the race on the full adult course :shock: On his penultimate lap he crossed the line 5 seconds ahead of the leader's finish so had to complete another lap. Well done.

Vets race included a goatee'd and tattooed Martin, Davie, James and me. I developed a new pain in my jaw muscles due to a permanent rictus of pain but I did not go any faster. No idea of results. I got lapped by the usual suspects.

Oor Kenny was in the seniors race with a few Commonwealth athletes. Looked impossibly fast. Cannot wait to see some mental lap times.

One of the highlights was a little vw van with a proper expresso machine for PED infusion. Just lovely.

Anyway, sunshine, massive crowds, cowbells, mud, what more could we ask for?

I am working on the Auchentoshan weekend but I am sure someone else will be stupid enough to ride it.

I am going to hose myself down now.

Ciao

Just sat down after cleaning my bike, as Alan said the weather was glorious so not much in the way of clean up required. If only there were a prize for cleanest bike...

It seems Sven Nys has nothing to worry about this season after all. It would appear that cooked breakfasts/kebabs/beer and little in the way of riding your bike does not constitute a worthy training plan, meh. I wasn't last today but not far off it. Hoping to ride into some form. Haven't hurt like that for a while so hoping it will get faster. I was akin to a burst ball at the end, lost loads of places on the last two laps.

Great to see the Johnstone ably represented in the old yins race. :grin: Believe it or not I've still got four years to go! A hard paper round etc.

Well done to the Jets as well!

Surely there are more seniors lurking on here. Give it a go, its great fun and a proper workout to boot.

Auchentoshan next. :uzi

Hard but fun, probably the best course I've ridden.

Kenny's point is well made - give it a go, it can be great racing even if your not very good at it. Goodness knows where I finished but had a race within a race with 3 other riders which was absolutely brilliant and came down to a last lap duel. Much smiling and shaking of hands, with complete strangers(!) at the end.

Best fun I've had on the bike this year.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

excellent course - fast and open. Continental style too.

James MacLaren and I had a great race for the JW lanterne rouge - he unfortunately crashed on the final lap robbing us of a 2 up sprint at the finish.

I started the race with my rear light switched on thinking I was going to be at the back of the race, but with over 130 riders there were even one or two I could get in front of.

Sadly will be missing the ravine of death at Auchentoshan as we're heading for the Kingscavil hill climb. Danny's hoping he can keep up his run of form and Lewis is going to make his return to competition. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !