Glasgow south cat 4 road race 27may

charlie p

I've entered too.

As a general comment, it might be an idea to pool rider info and perhaps identify races which those having a bash at racing this season are likely to be looking to enter, e.g. Charlie, Billy, Davie B and myself will probably be looking at vet and cat 4 RRs and APRs, and make block entries.

Evidently this is possible to do on the BCF website, however not sure how things work if someone gets a start but needs/wants to withdraw. Would possibly increase our chances of having more presence in races. Thoughts gents.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark

did not know we could put in block entry. no idea if that gives us a better chance.

The vets races are:-

sandy Wallace cycles 3rd June

Dundee wheelers 18th June

Kinross 9th sept

The b races are GlAsgow south 27th may

Edinburgh road clubb 16th June ( but will give this a miss as day before vets race)

Arthur Campbell 7th July

Stratton struggle 22july

Cheers

Charlie

Something for discussion at some point anyway. My thinking regards increasing chances of getting a ride is that if someone spots a race entry is open then they could in theory block enter 6 or 7 of us early doors, rather than a piecemeal scatter gun approach. One thing I did note on Saturday was that riders from the same club generally had consecutive numbers.

Charlie, I'm up for giving most of these a bash, only way I'm goning to learn and hopefully improve. Will give my diary a glance first, but haven't anything of a longer term nature of note planned, with the exception of Italy.

• 1 month later...

Al,

It was over suscribed (120 entries) and the organiser used the criteria that those that had raced previous BC events were given priority - he acknowledged this was hardly ideal but there is little else to go on especially with 4th cats where selection via performance (results) is a bit difficult. If you have at least Silver BC membership you automatically have a "proper" race licence and 4th cat status but not sure about the Bronze.

I have half a mind to recce the course - perhaps Thursday p.m. - I know this clashes with the chaingang but I can't do it on Saturday. If anybody else is interested let me know.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just seen this on Braveheart.

Well I've been totally overwhelmed by the amount of withdrawls (17 to date) and have now exhausted the reserve list

Apologies to those who were rejected, I feel bad now that I have spaces which could have been taken by folks wanting to race

If you live locally, are a CAT4 and fancy a race tomorrow drop me an email/PM through Braveheart

1st come 1st served,

If you get a response from me then see you tomorrow. Please bring licence and entry fee

Steve

Good luck to those that are riding.

Quick race report. 3 started, Davie B, Charlie and myself, with only 2 finishing the course - Well done Charlie and Davie. A hot but breezy day stiff head wind up the A77. No idea about placings but I reckon Davie in 30 - 40 place at a guess, might have been higher. No idea how Charlie faired. As for me, the legs literally stopped working mid lap 2. Was going ok, sitting comfortably in the bunch then the legs got switched off.

The pace was no greater than a Thursday bunch run and tended to drop right down up the A77 into the head wind. I got dropped on a climb which shouldn't have given me any trouble and just couldn't catch on. TT'd at 30 -35mph to catch the bunch at the left hander off Stewarton Road. Got to within 15 metres of the backmarkers but nothing left in the legs to close the final gap. Trying to keeping 12mph :shock: on the A77 had me chewing handlebar tape. For me the race was over and continuing would have been daft. The old legs are undoubtedly still tired from last weekend, as I felt just as lethargic on Thursday and after 20 miles was done. I'll probably sign up for this one next year with fresher legs as the course suits the skinnier type. Any tips on recovery and putting the legs back together out there would be welcomed.

Again well done to Charlie and Davie for going the distance. A week of proper rest beckons me thinks, with a turn out at Millport in the balance. Wish I had opted for a gentle meander around Loch Katrine with a coffe and lunch stop!!!!!!!

M

PS Happy Birthday Charlie,

• 2024 Subscriptions

Well done everyone. Don't worry Mark. You have just come through a period of very intense training and riding. If you are racing you need to do less mid week and make sure you are full rested. If in doubt, use your heart rate monitor to check your resting pulse. If it is elevated, back off cos you're either sick or not fully recovered.

See you Tuesday?

Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done you 3 guys, great to hear you're getting in about it.

Mark - introduce me to a road racer who hasn't had a rubber leg event like you had today and I'll lend you my pink unicorn who does great massages. We have ALL been there. It can hit any time.

Suggest you sit in a stone cold bath for 5 mins covering the legs if there is muscle soreness. If overall body knackered then rest till Thus/friday have a spin then maybe hit Millport. One of the biggest worries cyclists have is resting, don't, 4/5 days rest will never lose you any fitness.

Hope to see y'all at Millport

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well another doing for me. Do not know why I do this route as too hilly for fat boy. Anyway started ok nice run down a77 in middle of bunch turned left into colinton rd and still ok then the dreaded stewarton rd . Negotiated the first 2 climbs and still in bunch then we had the quarry hill which is longer . I knew if I hung on I would be ok till clung hill but not a bit of it 3/4 way up noticed I was now at rear of bunch then there was a small gap then bye bye. After that I had the delights of a solo tt into headwind along a 77 so not so easy now . Thought of jacking it in but then noticed the 2 pedal power riders behind me so eased up and went round with them. The pedal power lassie was goosed so me and the other fella did a 2 up tt for the rest of the race.

Not many positives for me but hey I am 53 today and about to have a glass of Pinot and a burger. Will see nutritionist tomorrow

And I could have gone to loch katrine. I am an idiot