Pasta Training March 18 Dunoon ferry

Guest EPCC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Without wishing to bring the gaiety on this thread to a grinding halt, can we get some clarity:

(a) Originally posted as a "training run" but now advertised as a club run - a clearer approach is maybe to estimate the pace out on the road and post that;

(B) What is the route - at least 2 options - one of which appears to be hillier and harder (which leads me back to A above - the purpose of run) Are we all sticking together or splitting based on preference?;

© What is the consensus re. cafe stop - the bunch have stopped at a place over the watter where it takes about an hour to get a bowl of soup and slice of bread. We are after all already stopping twice for the ferry;

(d) Though the weather will hopefully remain "fair" it is unlikely to be balmy so it is maybe not the best time of year for stop/start type runs - see also A, B and C above.

D

If the subject of 'cafe or no-cafe' is gong to cause a factional dispute then I am quite happy to batter round the trip without one.

I have a thermos flask that fits nicely into my bottle holder anyway and I can bring my own caramel shortcake!

Time for clarity Route is Richards with Darryls amendment.

It is a main bunch ride my preference is no cafe stop as we will be hanging about at the ferry .

So to get back on track who is leaving from club rooms and who are we meeting at the ferry Simples

• Members

My route was just a suggestion. No reason why we can't be flexible when we're out there, taking account of weather conditions, who's actually turned up, and how people are feeling. All I'd say is that if we are going over the water, I'd like to do the main chunk of the day's riding over there.

At the risk of repeating myself, the roads in the route I posted are hard. It's approximately 52 miles from the ferry to Strachur. There's 2,766 feet of climbing (843 metres) in that section alone. If you take Darryl's detour, you lose the flat-ish road along Loch Fyne and add another 487 metres of ascent over 21.5 miles (the elevation gain isn't evenly spread out over those miles!)

Given that this is going to be hard anyway, wherever we go, I think we should approach this as a club run, aim for 17-18mph on the rolling sections, regroup at the top of the climbs and try not to send people into the red in between the hills.

My worry is that if you bill this as some sort of eyeballs out training run, lots of people will opt out and do something else - people who are perfectly capable of completing the distance in a respectable time. Obviously you need a certain level of fitness for this ride - cyclists who are new to the club would most likely struggle. However, it would be a shame if capable, long-standing members felt they couldn't come along for fear of winding up in a paceline.

So maybe this isn't the route for a chain gang. But that doesn't mean that you can't get some sort of training benefit here. I guarantee that even if the only guys who turn up for this are the ones who have been turboing all winter and attending the Renfrew bunch, we are still going to be spread out all over the hills like plane crash victims. When you reach the top, there's nothing to stop you from going back down to find the slowest rider and tackling the climb again. You can take longer spells on the front, too, and a habble has to be fair game within six miles of the ferry/Johnstone.

I'm doing too much typing now and not enough cycling. I'll take the train out to the ferry on Sunday. See you all then. :-D

Charlie

Good could you Gi.d space to drop me at bow ad I am stuck for time on the return

Richard the hills are the training I also agree that its a hilly route and some sense so let's take the route you have posted . Then where we have options let's tale them on the day taking account of who's in the group weather and how we are feeling

I will find the hills hard enough so are we all happy the training is climbing the hills regtoup at top simple

Richard,

Well said.....I'm probably being pedantic but titling these as training runs is going to put people off and cause confusion, no offence meant to Billy.

Not that Billy would ever take offence, at least not outwith the confines of an Indian restuarant anyway ;-)

D

They are for main bunch hill climbing runs to practice climbing hills and eating pasta is this now clear

What a funny bunch you lot are always moaning and complaining there is no intention of eyeballs out in any of the posts

Just to confirm the training part is repeated hills the pasta part is a joke so why is this so complicated

Just post if you are going if not please don't offer any comments ( toys out of the pram rant like Indian restaurant)

Stoooopid!Ya-a-aawwnnn

• 2024 Subscriptions

Let's not get our knickers in a twist about this boys :grin:

If you ride all the way there and back, this ride will feel hard anyway. So no need to worry about whether it is training or not! But, of course, this kind of ride does come with a health warning - you need to be clear that you are capable :smash That does not mean we will be leaving slower riders, As has been said before, steady and then regroup at the top of the climbs.

As for cafe stop, I'm not bothered about one, but let's never say never! a quick expresso might just do the trick. As for my detour, I have to admit that I may have to do that anyway because I have to be home for 3.45 t the latest!

Must say I'm looking forward to this.

See y'all Sunday. I will be at the clubrooms at 8am.

Cheers

Richard,

You were doing so well until you stuck up for Billy.....points off for that :lol:

As it will seemingly keep him happy my stated intention is to ride down to the ferry so I can keep Mark company on the track.

Peace, and plenty of meat in their curry, to all.

D

I have no time constraints on Sunday. I intend to ride to the ferry via the clubrooms, Davie (if you pardon the pun) are you in the same boat? Whether my legs will see me cycle the full distance home remains to be seen. Steady pace (17-18mph) is ideal and not too bothered about the exact details as to the route. Would prefer a cafe stop but will go with the flow and not create waves. Will strap picnic hamper to bars if need be. I take Darryl's never say never approach. MacBagel, you can't still be sore about me eating your dinner at the Indian, me being a skinny 'n all. Look on the bright side, grumpy, it's one less curry you have to drag up the hills.

I did post previously that while these runs have a focus on preparation for Italy we do need to be sensible and gradually build the distance and number of climbs so as to not alienate those main bunch regulars and those aspiring to join us from the intermediate bunch who are not going to Spagland.

Alan, welcome aboard. You will need a reasonable level of fitness and endurance if you are looking to join us. That said don't let it put you off. You will find you will go further and generally faster in a bunch situation. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday. Davie let me know what you intend doing regards the to and from ferry bit.

M