• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm likely to be out for this-rode it last year and loved it despite

Having to get off & push on C11. Have a 28 on cassette now so

Better equipped.

TBH the climb before that was steeper and harder.

Most of the roads are quiet and the scenery was stunnin although

My recollection may be through rose tinted glasses as it was

One of the few nice days last summer.

Question-do you think it would be appropriate/feasible to have

An earlier start as I would like to be home for 3pm.

I will be riding from clubrooms to get the mileage up to the hundred mark.

• Members

Folks, I still can't get used to the fact that we're talking about this run six days in advance, before we have any idea what the weather's going to be like. However, as it's clearly up for discussion and lots of people are looking forward to it, I've been thinking about where we might go and the miles involved.

I normally get the train out to Gourock for Dunoon runs and then cycle back to Glasgow if it's not chucking it down. That's normally enough for the ton: you can easily do 75 miles on the quieter, more scenic roads across the water without subjecting yourself to the delights of the A8 first thing in the morning.

The link below shows the route we took two years ago (more or less.) I've added in a detour over the Whistlefield on the way back to the ferry for extra miles. No C11 in this route, but the road surfaces it takes in are better quality and the run is plenty hard enough with three big climbs.

http://tinyurl.com/7k85oms

Wherever we decide to go on the day, a lot of people will find riding over there quite testing. You may find yourself wishing that you had taken the car out to Gourock by the time we're done. ;-)

Richard

Forecast for Sunday fine sunny with 30 % chance of light rain we need to post early to see who is up for it re route I would prefer the circuit that includes C11 but don't really care that much either way

Paul cafe stop or not my preference would not due to stop on way over and back but will go with the flow

how about early depart for 0900 ferry

Earler start the better for me.

Have unfinished business with C11 but happy to go with the majority.

Hoping to get home for 3 and I'm sure we can manage it if we put a shift in. :grin:

My personal pref is for Richard's route as my winter bike has 25 on the back. Would prefer to do C11 on the Boardman with 28 at rear.

I will probably drive to the ferry (or somewhere a few miles away) as Richard's route is 70 + anyway.

So are we agreed on the 09:00 ferry?

We won't get Chung out if there is no chance of a bacon roll unless he is prepared to make the sacrifice!

Yes for 9am ferry though I'm happy to go earlier-it is daylight at 6.30am now!

We should maybe see how the day goes RE: the need for a lunch stop.

Who all manning up & riding to ferry? Billy will, I'm sure.

It'll be up t'mill an hour before we went t'bed to put in a 28 hour day before breakfast style start for yours truly and others from this part of the glen. What time the depart from Miller Street for the 9 am ferry?

Ignore last question, have re read thread and duly note the brigadier's post - 08.15. :shock: Given the early start I'd vote for a cafe stop; these are still bunch rides not races. I think my scrawny frame might need feeding by midday regardless of what I eat on the road 'cos I've got less reserves. Those that don't want to stop can continue riding, those that do wish to can. That said I'd rather the bunch stay as a group. Not bothered what route we do.

M

Mark

That would be for the 0930 ferry would have to leave before 0800 to get the 0900 ferry so we would need a decision asap

C11 is not that steep % wise just longer than normal hills so show of hands required

Simple question 0900 ferry or 0930 ferry

Would prefer 9am ferry but consensus seems to be for 09:30 so I'll accept that.

Grudgingly. :angryfire

Mark, it's light at 06:30 so you wouldn't need lights. Albeit Ayrshire does stay darker for

longer.

I'll ride down if someone keeps me company.

I would like to catch the 2:34pm home from Gourock, so I can catch the cup final, is this

feasible or can one of the drivers drop me back in Paisley?

Hincapie,

We in Ayrshire are further west by comparison, so yes technically sunrise is delayed somewhat. I'll be heading for the clubrooms on Sunday (in the dark along the scary track :shock: probably on my own :shock::shock: ).

My objection is to getting up at an ungodly hour especially on the Sabbath just so you can get home to watch the footie. Record it on a didgibox man! It'll be a one sided affair anyway with a whip round at half time for ra paupers from the southside. Guarantee you'll get home, showered and settle down in front of the box with a nice wee cup of tea with 2 half naked digestives (plain chocolate ones) and be asleep 10 minutes in, same as I am every Sunday pm.

Anyway I'll drag ma scrawny butt and wee greetin' face Ya-a-aawwnnn oot its bed excruciatingly early at the weekend just for you. There you happy now. Still gonna be the 09.30 ferry :icon_mooning

I assume it'll be the track to Port Glasgow, down the Clune and along to Gourock.

Haw, Oneill, I don't care for your tone!

Refrain from your lairy Ayrshire posturing. Us city cyclists are generally a genteel, sensitive type. Unused to the rough,

gauche ways of you tractor boys in Ayrshire.

09:30 it is then. Anything to avoid conflict.

n.b. no pejorative football talk, please. Some people may

take offence. I defend anyones right to take offence.

George Annan (bread)