Guest EPCC

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2024 Subscriptions

Morning All

This is just a suggestion for Sunday. We've had a lot of long runs over the last 6 weeks. I know some of you are also wanting to do some hills as well. However, given that some of you are racing quite soon, and as an alternative to the long run, why don't we do some race practice? I am suggesting that we have a ride over to the Barmill circuit and have a wee APR of our own. We could have 2 or 3 groups depending on numbers and it would give us all a chance to: a. work on speed b. work on group cohesion (as in all APRs this is important) and c. it is ideal prep for the JD memorial :grin:

Just a suggestion. What do you say?

I'm happy with D's suggestion. Would be good to see a good turn out to make the APR format work. No reason why bodies from the other groups can't turn up and have a go.

For those who are not in the know the Barmill circuit is about 8 miles of relatively quiet roads between Beith/Barmill and Dalry. The APR format is a handicap format and sees various groups, each group is made up of riders of a similar ability, set off at time intervals with the idea that the later groups attempt to chase down the earlier groups. The time intervals are engineered to give the earlier groups a fighting chance to keep ahead of the chasers, at the same time giving the chasing groups a chance to catch the one in front. Ideally all the groups should come together near the end of the last lap.

We had a bash at this last year and it was good work out but not too serious. Would also give the 30 milers and intermediate group riders a taste of a "race" environment and as Daryll suggests a chance to work on group cohesion. That's assuming these groups don't have other plans.

M

I jest. I would be up for it but I don't see anyone slower than me who is which is a worry.

More info please:how many laps?/start time?/estimated finish time? and can someone meet me

at clubrooms as I aint got a clue where Barrmill is.

• 2024 Subscriptions

I suggest a 10am start at Barmill. Probably should start from club room, but of course, people could meet us there. Charlie and George, 9am would be better, giving plenty of time for an easy ride up. I'll meet you at the club.

We can decide the number of laps and the exact format on the day according to how many turn up.

Please post here if you are up for this.

Oh ya dancer !

Sounds good guys. Will probably meet you there/paper shop at mini roundabout. Will pm my mobile number to Charlie in case of delays on either side. Davie B, RT cycles about 09.40 on Sunday for a gentle amble to Barmill.

M

Mark,

09:40 at RT's is fine - would suggest the general meeting place for the APR group is at the start / finish line, for those who don't know this is a couple of 100yds up the road from the main entrance to the MOD facility.

D

George,

The route is posted on the Jim Daly Memorial APR postmark, but it is difficult to get lost.

Start on road outside MOD heading towards Dalry, take 1st left. Proceed up rollling country road and take 2nd left*, take the next left as you enter Barrmill before taking the next left towards start/finish straight. That's it (honest!) but a cracking wee loop.

* the 1st left on this section is a nifty short cut which actually cuts out about a half of the route and contains a sectour of North Ayrshire pave which may well rival the Arenberg Trench at some points - recommended :-x

Would imagine a "sighting" lap is in order for those not familier with the road.

D

• Members

Each to their own, folks, but this isn't for me. I've got no interest in birling round the Barmill circuit on a Sunday. I'd much rather have a longer club run, preferably somewhere easy on the eye, on roads that are out of range for me on my own.

I'll make a final decision when I know what the weather's like, but I'm of a mind to leave with Tony's group then do my own thing when we get to Ardrossan.