The Italian Trip - Start List

My bike packing commences at 1200 hours tomorrow, but would I be right in saying we have hand luggage too?

Greg

Think it's something like 5kg for hand luggage?

I paid for an extra checked bag ages ago...certainly cheaper than Mark was quoted!...haven't packed and weighed it

yet so don't know how much free space I'll have.

Can't see me taking much other than bike stuff?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Billy says...travel in jeans/t shirt/trainers then I'll only need flip flops, one pair of shorts, t shirts and Speedos Gawn, gie's a kiss.

My factor 50 Suncream doesn't take up much room!

Must remember to take my PSP in its container rather than have white powder in freezer bags! :shock:

Not sure about my suit carrier for the dancin at night though.

For the Thurs departees...

Are we arriving en masse at the airport? Check in starts at 8am.

Don't know if this will ensure seats together though?

Paul McD...I think you and I are the only ones close enough to offer a lift?

Were you planning on driving? My wife was going to drop me off but not sure if I can fit 2 bikes in the car.

If you were getting a taxi there and back then I'm guessing that would work out just as much, if not more, than going halfers on car parking charges?

• Life Members

8.15am good for me too!

Personally I'm going to stick my cycling shoe & pedal in my hand carry, just incase the bike doesn't arrive with the flight, planning for the worse case scenario. :-?

I remember reading somewhere in the booking email that you'll need to bring the Credit card you booked your ticket with when you go to the check in!

No harm in it even if you don't cause you'll probably need it for the bike expo the day before anyway. :grin:

Cheers

Chung

Another question!!

BA recmmends that tyres are deflated.

That means I would need a track pump at the other end to get pressure high enough.

My pocket pump can't reach it.

Richie - Do we take a track pump with us or would the hotel have one as it seems to be 'bike-oriented'?

Chung - a point of logic here. What is the point of putting shoes/pedals in your hand baggage in case your bike doesn't arrive. Without a bike your pedals and shoes won't be much use!!!!

• Life Members

Paul,

Well, you can hire a bike but at least you have your shoes & pedals which is what you're use to. Could do with the saddle too!

That's what we did for Girona trip. But obviously, I'm planning for the worse.

As for tyres, I would imagine the hotel or Dante would have a track pump or some sort since they seem to emphasise that they cater for cycle tourist.

Am i too optimistic?

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

Speaking as a vacuum furnace engineer (previous life) as long as you decrease the pressure in your tyres by 1 bar(14.7psi or 1kg/cm2) below the maximum tyres/rim pressure they will be fine. If they are at maximum rim pressure before taking off there is a fair chance they will look completely different when you next set eyes on them! Be warne! A track pump is much cheaper than either a tyre or a rim.

I'd be amazed if Dante does not have one anyway.

Tom

I did mean Wednesday Paul, just checking someone does read my posts. If tickets booked on line you will need the credit card you used to pay for tickets with you. Regards track pump and worst case scenario the hotel website highlights some business link to bike shop and mentions a cycle workshop on the hotel premises. I dare say all eventualities will be catered for not that they will be required.

Morning all,

Well, we're nearly there!! Oh ya dancer !

Anyone else really, really, really excited!! I have been a bit stressed recently because my last couple of e-mails to Dante have gone unanswered and as I haven't been dealing face to face with someone in the UK, you sometimes get the 'are we being scammed' kind of thoughts. Daft I know.

Anyhoo....phoned Italy yesterday, spoke to a chap who, surprisingly, couldn't really understand me. He told me to e-mail again...no reply :-(

Just off the phone again to a nice lady who could understand me and all is well in the world again Hello, beer !!

Basically, we find our way out of the airport and look for a big bus that has Hotel Beau Soleil on it. Either big graphics or a sign at least. There will also be a truck for the bikes.

For those arriving on Wed, there will be you 7 and another 23 from the UK all at once! :grin:

The nice lady knew my name, knew we had 7 on Wed and 7 on Thurs and said she has all the race packs that we'll get the next day etc.

After a couple of people have asked me, I asked if we should take the doctors letters in person even though we've e-mailed copies.

No need for the originals.

And relax...... 8-)8-)8-)