Arran Challenge

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thought I'd float an idea for next Saturday 28th May probably more aimed at the racing fraternity but for anyone with a big engine to tow us round :grin:

Round Arran Challenge - something I've wanted to try for a while,

ride down for 7am ferry, disembark 8am, ride circuit of island to be back in time time to catch 11.05 ferry back which means being back in Brodick about 10.45. Distance = 56 miles, time available = 2h45mins, so average must be >20mph including piddle stops, punctures etc.

If ferry not caught then additional circuit of North of Island

If ferry caught then sprint intervals on way home from Ardrossan

The last 2 lines may not be absolutely part of the challenge!

Noticed that Ramsay and David did not get into Dundee stage race (gutted for you guys) so thought this a timely moment to post. BTW chaps I was talking to some guys today who DID get in and they mentioned they listed absolutely everything worth listing to try and secure a slot including primes at races, placings etc.

Anyone up for this

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Suggest we keep an eye on the weather, anyway I am up for it unless there is a clear and present danger of being blown aff ma bike into the wilderness. Why so early you ask Charlie m'lud?

- well it's a grand feeling to do thick end of 90 miles, with two one hour coffee stops, with a gid blast round a fantastic island and all before lunchtime. No brainer then ! :grin:

Oh ya dancer !

George,

I would have been up for it but I'm away for the weekend, School break. I'm down Croy Beach in my sisters caravan, while she toughs out the winter in Florida. I will get out for a couple of hours round Girvan way, my better half would not be pleased if I went away any longer, so Arran is out.

I'm sure some of the gang will go.

If I could class myself as a cyclist I would get rid of the Furry-Knees!

John.

John, I was shaving my legs before I even took cycling up but that's my business and

I don't want to talk about it on a public forum.

Enjoy your weekend away. It's bound to be sunny where you are headed. Purely because

you won't be cycling. 8-)

I will be pedalling away under my personal rain cloud.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Phil,

I'll not be meeting at the club rooms, as I live closer to Ardrossan. I'll ride from my house, which is about 45mins - 1hr (especially into a force 6/7!!). Will be a very early start either way.

In terms of the the weather, the forcast is currently showing a force 6, gusting 7 coming from the WSW. Not ideal, but we can review tomorrow. I would suggest that if the ferries aren't running, then it is a good sign that a long lie is in order (and we obviously can't get there!).

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mission instructions are,

Be at ferry for 6.45am. How you get there is your business. Just don't be late. Or else. Some people get sensitive about early morning punctuality before a long run, especially in Belgium :grin: Its all about discipline :smash

I plan to ride down to ferry - Ramsay want to meet at 6am at end of cycle track from Lochwinnoch at Industrial estate?

Oh ya dancer !

Cheers Charlie, will give you a text later.

I told my shandy drinking southern friend about this yesterday. His response was "25 miles at 5 in the morning? A Ferry to get to your main ride which averages over 20mph on a lumpy course in the wind then 25 more home? You're taking this Belgian stuff too far"

:twisted leer