Millport 2011

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all, was speaking to Ian Loughran last night. Millport is coming up fast: Sunday June 12th.

Ferries from Largs (just ask Billy how to get there).

10 mille TT around the island (keep the water on your left and you're fine): first man off at 11.00am

Vets road race at 2.00pm. Ride them both and make a day of it.

Always a good day out and a fine spread after the racing.

M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Folks,

Bumped into Ian Loughran tonight, and I said i'd gather names of Wheelers that are planning to attend the 10TT and or Vets road race a week on Sunday 12th June, sunny Millport...

It makes Iain's job organising the events a lot easier if he knows in advance who and how many riders he has, particularly for the Time Trial, where he has to get the start sheet ready before hand. I've been the last 2 years and it's a great day out, brilliant atmosphere and pretty traffic free roads. It really is a day out for any cyclist regardless of form or fitness, its all about fun fun fun....

TT starts at 11am, first ferry over is 9.15, and i think every half hour after that, the Road Race is at 2pm, the strip is in the Council halls and the grub is fab...

So please post here if you're game and i'll pass on to Ian, or better still post on here to let me know you've called him on 01475 705117...

I plan to either cycle down to Largs or jump on the train to Weymess Bay and potter along from there...If you dont go you're missing out on a great day when the island is completely overtaken by bikes......

Cheers Ian.....

• 2023 Subscriptions

Greig,

Its a TLI event, so you get a day licence when you enter, unless of course you already have one and then i think you save a quid on the entry fee, something along those lines, so really open to anyone and everyone.... I think the road race is around 35 miles for the vet 50's and 42 for the vet 40's, someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that....

Is it Greig and Elaine Sandison ? I'm rubbish at remembering names :oops:

Ian.....

• Committee

Hi

Provisional plans for one ladies' and two youth entries from this household for the tt.

I am racing in Ayr in the morning but hope to get there in time to watch the rr.

Guys, the tradition is that jamieson and cusick break away in the first three miles and the rest play catch up for an hour before a sprint for third place. Please stop this insanity and let's see a mighty wheeler vet in the break.

A :flamethrower

• 2023 Subscriptions

After the APR at Barrmill this was the first proper road race for myself and Billy. Despite his age Billy insisted in competing in the over 50's with me so he could salvage some pride after the drubbings he got at Drumlanrig and the etape. The race was about 38 miles comprising 5 loops with a stinky hill in the middle. We both managed to stay with the lead bunch till the penutimate hill when a group of 4 broke away. Our group tried to hunt down the lead group but then decided to play cat and mouse with each other. With 4 miles to go the bold Billy made a solo break which I was confident was doomed but to my horror the remainder of the group was not prepared to work to chase him down and he managed to stay ahead of us. Chapeau to Billy for a gutsy ride. Any way he gave me a proper drubbing and eveything hinges on the paisley critique. For the record I think Billy finished 5th and I was 6th. I may be a couple of places out. That is not the end of the story cos at the prizegiving Billy was eliminated for being too young but I got 2nd in my age category. I was chuffed to bits till I later realised that I was 2nd in the over 59 age group. I know I have had a tough paper round but it will take me sometime to get over this one.

ps I am returning my winnings to Ian Loughran

Thoroughly enjoyed the day out and my first attempt at a road race. I knew it would be too much but decided to give it a go anyhow to gauge how I felt. The time trial had taken its toll in the morning however and I ended up pegging my way round with slipping gears and sore legs. Hats off to Mike, Charlie and Billy for staying with it and finishing in those places despite the opposition

Colin ;-)