sat/sun

Darryl Gunson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Committee

Or this... not quite as long as Jann's.

Head north first, anticlockwise,. Bit sketchy about best use of hills around Beith but the first two thirds is fantastic and misses out the usual slog across the moor to Lochwinnoch.

Also lots of potential for multiple spectating points and some real farm tracks, just like the real thing. Highlights include Station Road, Langbank, and Alpaca Road. Also that funny wee wall just outside Ranfurly, BoW.

Check out profile. Only flat bit is Georgetown, after that it's all a bit Kone.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=213982

• Committee

Thanks Greg, I can't see Jann's route yet, some server problem.

Most folk will cycle 10-20k return to clubrooms so should be about 150k for most.

Some unavoidable RH turns but it shouldn't be a big, fast bunch so these should be ok.

Lot's of bail out opportunities for people who live locally and anyone who wants to join for a shorter route.

First prime is Chez Muholland at top of Prieston Road Hello, beer !!

Anyway it avoids Largs...

A

On the basis that the Flanders bunch look tobe lining up a hilly ton+ run on Sunday, any plans for us mere mortals which make up the 9.30 bunch. Could I suggest a run down into Ayrshire.

Proposed route would be as the Moscow run as far a Stewarton then would take in Kilmaurs, Knockentiber, Springside, Dreghorn, Dundonald (Dundonald hill optional - Haylie Brae's big brother and onto Troon for cake/ice cream. Return to Johnstone via Loans, Irvine, Kilwinning and back road to Barrmill and Gateside before picking Braes road just before Lugton for last few miles to Howwood and Miller Street.

Only a suggestion and may provide new unexplored roads for some. Probably about 70 - 80 miles on generally forgiving roads.

Mark

Both sound good to me.

While I wouldn't last the distance of the hilly Flanders route, I wouldn't be far from home..depending on if it would be at club pace or race pace?

Mark...sounds good as well. If you say the roads are ok, based on me feeling ok after the Don Smith, I'm hoping I could squeeze some more miles out?

• 2023 Subscriptions
Don't forget that the Flanders event ain't all hills. I was thinking of a long ride with se hills at the end a la Flanders! But will go with the flow.

True, but there have been some good length runs over the last few weeks. Al's route has about 17-ish climbs in it (depending on how you count them) so I think is a good match for RVV and will be a great training run. Belltreesmuur will be a good dig.

Might be able to squeeze a couple of wee detours in to add one or two more vertical feet. Would suggest club run pace between the muurs so that we're Flandering, not floundering. :grin:

Beer and frites back at Miller Street, anyone?

I am a maybe right now....however a few clarifications, is there a mud guard amnesty to allow Flanders bikes to be used?

If Alan's route goes North before dropping into Lochwinnoch I would then (after LochW) tend to take back road to Kilbirnie, GlenG, Highfield, Dalgarven Mill with back roads loop out in Saltcoats direction then back to Dalgarven, rough back roads blast to Barmill, Balgray Bond and then down into Bowfield area where there is an opportunity to go up by the Trout Dam and drop back into Johnstone. Rolling backroads, rough in places with some short, sharp digs and nary a car in sight!

About 30 miles of the loop (GlenG to GlenG) as per link:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71400173

• Life Members

HI All,

I would like to come out and ride my bike, but I'm totally and utterly confused! Stoooopid!

Can someone just set a day (Sat or Sun), time of start and route.

That should be the easy part, the hard bit is cycling round it.

Cheers

Chung

• Committee

I've refined the route

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4335461

to avoid the weird little out and back from BoW and also to include a wee diversion for the world famous muur de dougliehill but returning on smaller, but smooth road to Kilmacolm.

Can anyone put this on a GPS? I get lost between BoW and Lochwinnoch.

Martin, can you lead out of BoW? Horsefield Road or Prieston Road for most pain?

I recommend muddies and non-carbon bikes for this one. Loads of debris on the minor roads at present.

A

• 2023 Subscriptions
I've refined the route

Martin, can you lead out of BoW? Horsefield Road or Prieston Road for most pain?

A

Up Horsewood, down Prieston, up Hazlewood then turn right to get back on your route, heading for the big dipper.

FAB Scott!