Circuit of Arran - Saturday 19th March - All welcome

Kenny Christie

9.45 ferry from Ardrossan.

A good opportunity for those who perhaps haven't done this ride before, please do come along if you can, the pace will be steady.

Intention is to ride from Milngavie so more interested in the total mileage.

I plan to have a pint or 2 on the ferry on the way back and then the train home.

Cheers

Kenny, sounds like a plan if the pace is, as you suggest, steady. If I can arrange/beg/borrow or steal a Saturday pass (rarer than a willy wonka golden ticket) I'm up for it. I presume you'd be heading south off the ferry, leaving the BIG climb for later in the day.

Mark

Kenny, sounds like a plan if the pace is, as you suggest, steady. If I can arrange/beg/borrow or steal a Saturday pass (rarer than a willy wonka golden ticket) I'm up for it. I presume you'd be heading south off the ferry, leaving the BIG climb for later in the day.

Mark

Mark,

The route will be anti clockwise from Brodick with a stop at Blackwaterfoot.

• 2023 Subscriptions

kenny

can i suggest a route i did last year with glasgow tri club which can be done in time to get the 4.30pm with a short lunch break at blackwaterfoot. You take the String road to Blackwaterfoot then do the south of the island back to brodick stop at cafe opposite brewery for refuel then do north of island and swing on to road just before blackwaterfoot that takes you back onto String road to brodick. String road is a tough finish but good training. if enough interest could have 2 routes.Not meaning to hijack your post.Only flagging up as an idea

cheers

charlie

Kenny,

I have evil memories climbing over to Lochranza chasing the ferry over to Clonaig. Never gone anti clockwise round the island, like to get the lumpy bits done while the legs are fresh. Saturday pass likely, wife's census duties notwithstanding, so I'm in.

Mark

56 miles for full circuit. No idea what the exact mileage for the figure of 8 is. I'm guessing the String Road is circa 8 miles done twice say 16 onto the 56 - ballpark of 72 miles.

If it helps John, I aim to do a quick stint at the front then hang onto the rear wheel of the Flanders boys as long as possible then carry on at my own "steady" pace (9.30 bunch pace). You're and any one else is welcome to grovel round the rest of the island with me. On the upside you cannae get lost!!

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys,

From Erskine to Ardrossan via coast road = 42.3 miles

From Erskine to Ardrossan via inland route, ie, Johnstone track down to Glengarnock, etc, = 28 miles 'ish...

Timewise i would think the inland route would be best ??????

Ian...

• Members

Ian, I'm looking for big miles to stop me freaking out about Flanders, so it has to be the coast road and an early rise. Ta for trying to get me out of it, though. :grin:

Kenny, it's 45 miles from the RV to Ardrossan. I reckon three hours would see us there in time for the ferry. That would allow for an easy pace and the odd mechanical. If we found that time was an issue, we could miss out Gourock and shave off four miles (-ish).

Based on that assumption, I could get you at half-six, and we could pick up Tom around seven. Thoughts?