Etape du Perthshire; Sunday 11th July

Kenny Christie

Righto,

Colin mentioned this some time ago, the Etape Caledonia route with a few subtle differences.

A select few rather than many thousands, a cafe stop instead of going for a time. Open roads and not having to shell out the thicker end of sixty earth pounds for the privilege. Sounds good to me. I will be having a go at it one day in July.

I wont nail any dates to this yet to see if we can accomodate anyone who wishes to come along.

Hello, beer !!

• Members

I'd like to come, please. If you're going in July, I'm definitely available on the weekend of the 17th and the weekend of the 24th. Should you decide to pick another day, I'll do my very best to get a shift swap or time off. How are other people set for dates?

A very fine idea! Two more from here. Fairly flexible in July but would suggest avoid 17th for a couple of reasons a) it's Glasgow Fair and B) there seems to be a Pethshire Hill Motor Rally on that week-end, so the roads may be busy with 4 wheel go-faster types.

24th looks good tho'.

Iain

Sounds good to me...I think I'm Ok for any weekend in July at the moment.

If you fancy extending the route a little there is a nice tearoom at Rannoch Station, although I've not been in it for about 15 years:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/r ... index.html

I seem to remember the cul-de-sac road out to Rannoch Moor was very scenic as well.

I'll wear my deerstalker and tweeds in case we bump into any "country sports" people - I like to blend in

Okay, show on the road then. I understand Iain's comments regarding the dates. I would like to accommodate as many folk as possible. That being the case I'd like to propose the date as Sunday JULY 11th

Its a 2 hour drive from Johnstone, I am going up the night before to test the local free houses out. That being the case I suggest a civilised 10.30 am start time.

I'm not too sure where the best place is to rendezvous prior to kick off? I was hoping someone familiar with Pitlochry, or who has done the run before could advise.

Hello, beer !!

11th July is fine for us - may also goup the night before - will confirm nearer time. Suggest meeting at Tourist info centre - towards bottom of the main St on right hand side of the road as you come north (just in front of Heather Gems). That's where the event finishes and there is a car park. The start is just a bit further up the main St. Fingers crossed for the weather!

Iain

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EPCC

Hi All

Entries are open for 2011 it would be nice to see a lot of wheelers jerseys at the etape proper, it isnt really that much to pay for a closed road race and supporting a good charity.

But enjoy the 11th off on holiday so cant make it

Hi all

I've entered the etape for 2011. If anyone is entering and wants to ride in the same group the codeword is " wheelers "

Still unsure if I will manage next week but would love to join in. I'll know by the middle of the week.

Paul - I'll have a lift if the offer is still up for grabs...

Anybody got any thoughts re cafe stops? My brother John cycled round Loch Rannoch last week and he says the tearoom at Rannoch Station is well worth the extra mileage but they won't fill your water bottle (something to do with the fact that they have to boil all their water). Alternatives: Kinloch Rannoch is more or less the halfway mark and there seems to be a cafe there ("Post Taste") and also a hotel (the Dunalastair) but I can't vouch for either of them...

• Life Members

Hi All,

Do we have a start time and meeting location finalized?

Also, does some-one have the post code of the meeting point as I will be driving up on the morning with the Sat-Nav to guide me.

How long do you reckon the journey will take from Glasgow?

Cheers

Chung

Chung, it will take around 2 hours give or take from Glasgow. Going with Iain's suggestion;

11th July is fine for us - Suggest meeting at Tourist info centre - towards bottom of the main St on right hand side of the road as you come north (just in front of Heather Gems). That's where the event finishes and there is a car park. The start is just a bit further up the main St.

In summary 10.30am start at Tourist info centre.

Tony, Rannoch Station sounds good to me.8-)