Ayr to Newton Stewart & back

Tony

I'm planning a wee trip along some of my "old favourite" roads in Ayrshire & Galloway on Sunday 13th June, anyone who wants to come along is more than welcome. The route will be as follows:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=131582

...it is 97 miles, with one or two ups and downs, mostly in the first half (Nick o' Balloch and the other biggie just before it).

The start point will be at Burns Cottage in Alloway. (There is free public parking nearby.) There will be 2 cafe/toilet stops - Newton Stewart and Barr. Further details to follow.

The roads are mostly very quiet and scenic but some of the surfaces are a bit ropey so best to leave your carbon wheels at home ;-)

All club members (and others) welcome :grin::grin::grin:

Dennis (and others)

Shall we say 0930 kick-off? Directions to start:

Heading down A77 past Ayr - go thru the roundabout signposted A713, then under a railway bridge, and then about half a mile after that you come to a wee staggered crossroads. The road on the left is signposted Corton, the one on the right is (I think) Alloway. Turn right and that's you in Doonholm Road (heading into Ayr, towards Alloway). Bear right at the next roundabout and you will shortly come to Burns Cottage. When you get to Burns Cottage turn left, head down the road a couple of hundred yards and you will see public parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (opposite the big houses). That's where we will meet up.

Thanks

Thanks Dennis.

I did a bit of a recce on Sunday - drove down to Ayr and cycled a loop comprising the northern half of the route - Alloway/Dalrymple/Crosshill/Balloch/Barr/Maybole/Alloway. I did this partly to check out Barr (the 2nd cafe stop) which I hadn't been to for 10 years or so.

So here is what's in Barr:

1. Kings Arms Hotel - serves food from midday-9pm on a Sunday. It is non-licensed (I just thought I would mention that in cased any of you are bevvy-merchants)

2. The "village tearoom" - which I think is a community effort run out of the village hall/bowling club - is open from 1330-1700 on a Sunday

3. There are public toilets - in the village hall - which are quite presentable and have drinkable tapwater - thus we could just stop to use the toilets & refill our bottles rather than having an actual feed stop, if pushed for time.

There are also picnic tables & benches situated in a very picturesque location next to the river, so no shortage of places to sit & eat cereal bars if that is what we choose to do! We can discuss on the day, before we set off. I don't want anyone going short of food/water because they expected a second cafe stop which did not materialise.

Re the first cafe stop - Newton Stewart - last time I passed through was about a year ago while cycling from Ayr to Dumfries to visit the "in-laws". There's a pub conveniently situated just as you enter the town from the north, think it's called the Cree Inn, it has picnic tables outside, so I'm thinking that will do. If not there are several cafes in the high street.

Weather looks fair for Sunday, hope to see you there

Tom,

Have you still got space for me and my bike in your car? The need is now pressing as my car is off the road :-(

I can make my way out to you if you can provide me a meeting place / time thats handy for yourself.

I will PM my mobile number to you tonight.

Cheers,

Davie

Hi Tony,

Myself, Aileen (& tandem!), John Campbell, Dave Smith and Paul Ramsay will see you at the cottage at about 9am. Charlie Duffy may also be coming direct, but I'm not sure.

Weather? Don't know and will take it as it comes! See you then. Hello, beer !!

Dennis

Hi Tom,

As discussed if you have any problems tomorrow call me on 07876 145673 or on the house phone.

Basic directions to my house if you are driving through Glengarnock from the Beith direction are go thru' traffic lights at small bridge and turn left immediately on crossing the bridge this will take you down past the school, then turn right, then left and you will enter Craigends Road which are the houses facing the field.

Cheers,

Davie

I'll be driving down from Kilbarchan with my brother John (via Renfrew David Lloyd which is where I pick John up). I have space for another person plus bike, so if anyone would like a lift and is roughly on my flight path phone me on 07896-153853. I can go either A737/A78/A77 or M8/A77 - don't think it makes any difference to journey time.

Phoned the Cree Inn today - they serve lunch 1230-1500. It's roughly 45 miles to Newton Stewart by my route so if we average 15mph that will do just fine.

If anyone is late for the off tomorrow and has to play catch-up, here are directions for the first half of the route:

Go back along Doonholm Road to the A77 "Corton/Alloway" junction

Go straight across and turn right after half a mile where you see a National Cyle Route signpost. Follow this minor road to a T-junction - turn left for Dalrymple

At Dalrymple go right & follow the road for a couple of miles to a crossroads - go left (Kirkmichael/Crosshill)

After another couple of miles go right where signposted Crosshill. Shortly after this turn left at a T-junction.

Go straight through Crosshill (signposted Cloyntie/Newton Stewart)...about 25 miles later the road comes out onto the A814 at Bargrennan. Go left and follow the road to Newton Stewart for about a mile then turn left again onto a minor road, cross a bridge then turn right at a crossroads. Follow this road through the Water of Cree bird sanctuary to Minnigaff/Newton Stewart. As you emerge into the town you will see the Cree Inn on your left and hopefully the rest of us sitting outside...