Arran trip 2: Now Wanlockhead

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

Trip to Wanlockhead 24.11.07

As you now know, Arran YH is booked ,as are many others. However ,I have manged to find us an alternative: Wanlockhead. It is nearer than Oban and the roads are quieter. There is also a good pub. Here's the details:

Hi Darryl

Thank you for your enquiry. We do have availability to accommodate you on

Saturday 24th November. The price per night would be £15 per person -

including all bed linen & continental breakfast.

Please let me know if you would like any further information or if you would

like to go ahead and make a booking.

Kind regards

Lisa.

Lisa Montgomery

Lotus Lodge Hostel

Wanlockhead

Dumfries & Galloway

ML12 6UT

01659 74544

I have booked the place, but I need to confirm numbers. So, in your own time, but preferably today ;-), let me know if you're coming or not -If you are on the list and don't want to come, let me know. If you aren't but want to come, ditto.

Darryl

Kenny

Stevie B

Dougie

Ian

Paul

John A

Dennis

Simon

Alan

Howie

Martin

Mark v W

Jim

Frank

David Mck

Campbell H

Scott D

cheers

DG

Wanlockhead - thats god's own country.

is there room for a slightly over weight, slightly (?) unfit, slightly slower than he used to be (hard to believe I know given how slow I was) cyclist? I promise not to wear the Boy Wonder outfit :>)

I have been training hard over the last few months and can now eat more than ever.

Please count me in - do you need deposit etc

cheers

Sounds tremendous Lads - well done on the Emailing Darryl!!

Count me in too - Cant miss out on the return of Scott D Can We Hello, beer !!

Let me know if you require any sort of Payment up front Darryl - might be a good idea as you dont want to get stung if any other decide to pull out at last minute through unforseen circumstances......

Stevie B>

P.s. was dreading that Oban Road TBH :grin:

I'm in too.

I have done this run a number of times over the lead hills and up the old A74 to Blackwood. From Houst to Blackwood is 100miles so would guess Wanlockhead would be 70 - 75 miles.

Remember Wanlockhead is the highest village in Scotland :angryfire

[quote]High in the Lowther Hills to the west of the M74 is Wanlockhead, Scotland's highest village at 467m or 1531ft. It owes its existence to the lead, gold and other minerals found under the surrounding countryside. For more information and photographs, see the Wanlockhead, Feature Page. 

[/quote]

• 2024 Subscriptions
yip...

So how do you get there ?

Carsphairn- Moniave- Tynron- Thornhill would seem the most scenic

Has anyone thought of going down on the Friday to allow a full days riding on different roads?

Plenty of routes, most scenic and the route will be a departure from the usual roads most of us use. The actual ride there will be a full day on different roads at about 70 miles. We can fine tune the route later.

If you fancy going down on the Friday night, then perhaps you could ride out to meet us on Saturday.

Cheers

Darryl

• Committee

Darryl, thanks very much, excellent venue. My attendance depends on work.

I'll pm you to book a place with pre-payment, even if I can't go then it's worth £15 to think about it for the next 6 weeks.

We were at Wanlockhead this summer. Road surface is are surprisingly good and little traffic. The only potential problem will be ice/snow in early winter. There is a surfaced road up to the radio masts on Green Lowther which adds another thousand feet of climbing.

Looking forward to it.

regards

Alan

• 2024 Subscriptions

I'm going to ring them tomorrow to confirm numbers. These are the people I think are going:

Me

Kenny S

Stevie B

Dougie

Ian M

Paul McD

John A

Dennis

Simon

Alan M

Howie

Martin

Mark v W

Frank

David Mck

Campbell H

Scott D

17 bodies in total. Those who want to go on Friday night can make seperate arrangements for that night.

Cheers

Darryl

• Members

I’ve been to this hostel before. I remember it well – it’s the highest village in the country and the place was shrouded in cloud the whole time I was there. The (totally brutal) road race goes through the place as well, and there always seems to be lots of road kill about, so it’s a very atmospheric venue indeed! And it’s very hilly too!

Count me in!

M

Hi All,

Greetings from Very sunny Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia Oh ya dancer !

Managed to find a computer and have seen all the posts about the November 'Arran' weekend. Count me in again please. First went to Wanlockhead in 1959 when they had nae hot watter! :-(

Have managed to get three bike rides here on a borrowed bike and, believe me, its fantastic country for cycling - great roads, fantastic weather (80s every day), great scenery and very friendly people.

Also met and rode with Fred Morini, an Itialian ex pro with Gerolsteiner. Fred is planning to run a training camp here in Apr09. This is well worth thinking about. If you want to know more about him, his website is www.fredmorini.com.

See you a week on Sunday after the jet lag has worn aff.

Dennis