Weekend tour to Galloway,30th April -2nd May 2016

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm thinking of doing a short cycle tour in May, possibly to the Galloway / Isle of Whithorn area across the bank holiday weekend of 1st May.

Maybe 2 nights away, approx. 90 miles cycling each way, plus a tour of the area in the intervening day. The route could be shortened by getting the train to Ayr.  Accommodation could be hotel / B&B / holiday lodge, typical price £70 B&B per night for a twin room.  

Anyone interested in doing a little touring, and seeing another part of our beautiful country? Details to be thrashed out, could drive down and enjoy 3 days touring the local area at a pace to suit, etc.

Hi, Graham,

I am interested. I am semi-retired now and don't work Thursday/Friday

I won a CAMRA competition and had a free weekend at the Steam Packet Inn in Isle of Whithorn - nice area.

Would we cycle down from Ayr?

Club used to have an Ayr to Newton Stewart run a few years ago. It was a 100 mile round trip.

Nice route.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looks like a nice inn Paul, can add it to the options on where to stay.

I hope to cycle from home, without any 'cheating' by getting a train, though that may work best for others.

Regarding a route, I cycled to Newton Stewart last year via Straiton and Glentrool which was a lovely quiet road over the hills.

I am flexible as to the length of the trip, but happy to fit in with the time constraints of others.  We could perhaps have two groups with different durations but meeting up at the same accommodation.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think your right Paul,

Wouldn't do any harm to have a get together and work out some details.

How about Monday 29th Feb @ 7pm in the club room?

I think the club room is available on a Monday when there's no committee meeting.

I suggest that we all bring any ideas we may have on accommodation, routes, etc.

So far we have expressions of interest from: Gerard, Paul C., Carol & Dave, Jane & myself, but anybody else is welcome if they think they might like to join in.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Following the meeting on Monday, we have planned a trip leaving on 30th April for one or two nights, depending on individual time commitments.  

Accommodation is booked at St John's Town of Dalry for Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May at £45 per person per night for dinner bed and breakfast, no single room supplement.  

This gives a 73 mile cycle each way from Johnstone, with the option of a run to explore the area on the middle day.  A shorter option is from Ayr station at 38 miles.

There are currently 5 confirmed and 3 probable participants.  Transport is available for luggage, there is some accommodation still available if anyone else is interested please post, of PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Gerard,

That looks like a good option to me, about 17 fairly gently miles each way, with a cafe stop at the end.

Also Castle Douglas to explore on the way and a choice of longer routes to get there for anyone so inclined. (or wanting to seek out an incline!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

How would everyone feel about arranging a meetup point for those departing from Johnstone and those who are getting the train to Ayr. The Rozelle Tearooms seems to fit the bill, has anyone been before? A time would need to be arranged to suit all. I am looking forward to an increasingly chatty bunch through the afternoon.

This Tour of Galloway is now confirmed. Accommodation is booked and routes pencilled in.

Anymore interest in joining us? Double or Single ensuite rooms available £45.00 per person per night for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. - Group booking rate.

Luggage transport available. 

Day 1 Home to St John's of Dalry, DB&B - some taking train to Ayr and meeting up.

Day 2 trip to Threave, DB&B

Day 3 St John's of Dalry to Home - some using public transport for part of route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

I've been doing a little planning for this trip, here's a schedule for the outbound trip:

Cycle to Ayr:
08:45 depart (say from) Johnstone ~39 miles 3hr 15 min from Miller St. to The Rozelle Tearooms (650 ft of assent)
Coffee Stop (30 mins) Kilmaurs?
12:30 Arrive @ cafe

Train to Ayr: 
11:18 depart Johnstone
12:05 arrive Ayr
12:15 cycle to Cafe - 1.6 miles, 10 min cycle from Ayr Station.

12:30 Rendezvous at The Rozelle Tearooms, Ayr, KA7 4NQ
13:30 Depart tearoom
Tea Stop (30 mins) (location TBC)
17:00 Arrive St John's Town of Dalry
33 miles, 3 Hrs to St John's Town of Dalry (1,400 ft of assent)

That should work and leave plenty of time for breaks.

Jane tells me that any bags left at our house in Kilmacolm the day before (Fri 29th) will be at the hotel to meet us!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

A bit late in leaving for meeting Graham at the clubrooms so not the best start, but it was to say goodbye to my kids so quite understandable. We met up and got underway quickly as we had to meet Paul at the top of Bowfield, we actually meet him halfway down as he was getting cold waiting. Steady pace down to Lugton, Dunlop and Stewarton where we were met bit the hailstones. It did not last and we made it to Kilmaurs for our first stop while the hail came down again.

Refuelled and recaffeinated we pushed on into the sapping headwind towards Tarbolton and Annbank en route to Rozelle tearooms in Ayr. Thanks to precision planning from Graham and steady navigation from Paul then no sooner had we sat down Carol and David arrived to join us for lunch.

Afterwards our route took us down the A731, now with the wind behind us. A brief stop in Patna to say hello to Jane making her way by car and we continued at a good pace with a couple of downhill sprints until Carsphairn. There our support wagon had stopped and the most carefully laid out feed station was ready to welcome us with hot drinks cake and sunshine.

Thereafter we headed on for the last short section to our hotel, becoming a little bit strung out with Paul winning the sprint for the 30 into St. John's Town of Dalry. Finishing the day with drinks and dinner in first rate company our thoughts are of tomorrow and the weather forecast.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Day two of our little jaunt was always intended to be easy going, very much a rest day for the more hardcore cycle back home sorts. We left mid morning into the lifting mist along the road to Castle Douglas. It was an undulating road into a light headwind, going down past Loch Ken. Usual mix of road surfaces, often changing from that sapping rumbling stuff to short teasing bits of flawless, smooth tarmac. We nearly all arrived together at Threave for lunch, the final dash up the driveway was short surprisingly steep.

Warmed and partially dried out after lunch, Graham and Jane chose to return by the same route, leaving Carol, David, Paul and myself to go back via Laurieston on the opposite side of Loch Ken. With the wind on our backs and the road starting to dry out it was a well paced blast back. Despite Carol's claims of innocence the sprint for the thirty had been accepted and I went for it the only way I know how, too early and too fast. David drew level with me on the finish and produced a photo finish. A good little route in different countryside for our mini bunch.

Day 3 I am home with the bags, heavy rain overnight but front had mostly passed by the time the 4 intrepid riders set of for home, Graham and Paul planning complete ride home and Carol and Dave bailing out at Sanquar rail station. The wind was with them to begin with but likely to be head wind for last third or so. Gerard and Amanda and I enjoyed a more leisurely breakfast and I left them to enjoy their child free day.

I enjoyed myself but it was a shame about the classic Bank Holiday weather.

The hotel looked after us well and the Tour of Britain is passing its doors soon. Sam was happy to secure the cycles in the boiler house and served very hearty cooked breakfasts. The hotel is an old building with a few idiosyncrasies but not Fawlty Towers. Real Ale pub opposite for keeping Paul C happy and good fare for dinner in ours. If you know anyone considering the Southern Upland Way Sam is happy to ferry folk as well.

Photos to follow!