Dunoon Chase the Moon -Sportive

I have been encouraged to put this up by Chung and am not sure what's etiquette- so here goes.

GHK playing fields at Anniesland Cross to just before the pier in Dunoon. Starting at 2145 and finishing hopefully before 0700 (there's a reason for this which I will come onto later). Now I know you top guys are doing 100 for fun at the weekends, but maybe crank that up to 200 to make a more equal comparison and for the audax guys- maybe 350!!!

So my good friend Gordon from the Glasgow Nightingale (a very good junior cyclist in his day, which is code for.. this could be boring for him but he's coming along as my super domestique) chose the 109, why? we're members of a cycling club and wouldn't dream of doing less!!!!

So we set off at 2200 in the third group of 20ish riders by mistake as all the 109s were in the first group- but we didn't know. A total of 68 starting. Anniesland cross to Helensburgh with a stop in Helensburgh for those that wanted- we didn't stop.

Then we were joined by 4 guys who wanted to "take spells" which lasted 20 mins before I said to Gordon "let them go as 20mph at this stage going up the road by Faslane will only end in disaster for me", and so we did. Then we hit the loch long road in complete darkness, pedalling past a lone chap and onto Arrochar. A quick stop at Arrochar to allow the midges their supper and fill the bottles. (At this stage I started feeling sorry for the lone chap we passed on the loch side- so when he arrived at Arrochar we asked him to join us- I mean - come on- it's not a race!!)

So Bob sat in for the next haul, up the 'rest and be thankful' and despite dropping the speed to 5 mph before we got to the climb, he asked us to go on and thanked us for the company.  Now it was very, very dark. No noise and two cars passing us all the way from Arrochar to the top of the RABT. But wait,  what yonder be that commotion at the top of the Rest- A bloody disco no less- that's right, a disco- or a night club as you young people call it nowadays! So we pulled over to see what was 'gong down with the young crew'. Crispy cakes, coffee, tea and 'Insomnia' by Faithless being played at full pelt (now for you Neil Diamond lovers, Faithless are a hip and happening pop group). How cruel those organisers can be playing Insomnia at 0100 at night!!,  In saying that I did feel very sorry for the couple who had parked their campervan just up from the discos and until then were probably having a peaceful and relaxing evening.

So on we pushed to Strachur, all the way with not a sight of a car or another cyclist, although we did see some flashing lights over the other side of loch Fyne heading towards Inveraray!

Through Strachur and onto Kilfinnan,  narrowly missing the drunk walking in the middle of the road on his way home who wished us all the best, well,  we think that's what he said! 

The sportive splits at Strachur- those doing the 77 are held here until 0300 so that they are not in Dunoon until the coffee shop is open- they go straight up the Glen Branter/ Loch Eck road to Dunoon. The 89ers go along the Colintriave road - as I call it-  to then climb up and over to Loch Striven and we headed along the Otter Ferry road to meet up with the 89ers on the Colintriave road after going through Tighnabruiach.

I have done the Tighnabruiach to Starchur road before, but not the other way and I have to say that with no visual references, just smells (wild garlic, cows and lavender) and the little light you have from the front of your bike, this bit wears you down.

Met a few guys along this bit, some on their last legs or as we renamed them-'got excited and stared too quick', two that thought they were lost, but didn't want to join us - or as we called them- we started too quickly but are just kidding  that we are lost so that we can get a break and two from the earlier group of four we met who just so happened to be looking at a mechanical at the top of the wee climb out of Otter Ferry and breathing heavily or as well called them- 'should have done the 77'!

By the time we had a bottle fill up and yet another crispy cake at Kilfinnan the dawn chorus had just started.

On a serious note, this was a beautiful moment, peace, the low light on the hills, the gentle lapping of the loch wate,  the birds singing and...... BLOODY HELL WHERE THE **** DID THAT ROE DEER COME FROM AND WHY DOES IT WANT TO PUT IT'S HEAD INTO MY FRONT WHEEL!!!-  locked up, skidded to the side and managed to miss it on a fairly fast decent. A close one and a the lesson learnt?.- Roe deer are just as mad as Italian cycling fans on a stage of the Giro!!

So on to Tighnabruiach the site of many a classic shinty match and up the hill out of this lovely village- by now this hill is tough.

Onto the hill up to the descent down into Loch Striven and now feeling tired, not n the legs, but just sleep tired.

Dawn has fully broken and the front lights are off, no cars and just some nice pedalling until we get onto the last undulating climb up to Loch Tarsan. This was tough, but we knew that after this it is just rolly road all the way to Dunoon.

And so with a tail wind just after hunters quay helping us to the finish we roll along easily at 19 mph, tired, weary and covered in midges onto the salubrious electrical tape on the road which signified the finish line.

Post ride-  we enjoyed the free roll and sausage and then prepped for the next stage of this sportive- Oh yes and you thought it was finished?

At 0645 one of the boats that they normally use for booze cruises, came to pick up those that had paid for the return trip back up the Clyde to the Science Centre. Now,  I would have to say that I was very sceptical about this, but it was well worth it. Even if you wanted to just sleep, dance at the dance thingy on top deck with free cans of alcoholic beverages, sit down stairs chat and drink coffee or as I did stay up deck to see parts of the Clyde I had never seen before. We past the very large cruise ship at Greenock, all the stands for the speed boat racing,  the Waverley past us just at Renfrew on its way 'doon the water'- all lovely

We arrived at the Science Centre at 1000 just as the Glasgow mens 10k was starting which provoked all those warming up to come and see what the hell was going on. As we clambered off with our bikes, making throw away comments of, (needs to be done in a slightly RAF posh voice )"yes-just rode through the night to a disco thingy at the top of the Rest and decided to carry to for a bit. Venison at Kilfinnan, before scaling the hills of Cowal- just the 109 today, but back for more next week- enjoy your plod!"

And so the Dunoon Chase the Moon sportive was over- in summary- well worth it and well worth doing next year, a great experience shared with a great friend, well organised and plenty of provision at each stop. So whether your a 'pushing it to do 77' or a 'bring on the 109' it isn't a race, but good fun.

And finally- the flashing lights on the other side of the loch?? the two boys who we met earlier at Faslane, who didn't turn off at the big signs for Dunoon- needless to say.... they missed the Boat!

Alan

post-3379-0-86574300-1466413705_thumb.jpg

• Life Members

Well done Alan, on riding the event & writing the report, so we can all have a good read.

An adventure in the true sense of the word, fantastic!

Drunks, suicidal deer & disco feed stops etc ....... definitely not your typical bike ride :-)

Cheers

Chung

• 3 weeks later...