The (in)famous Cowal Legbender 14 or 15 May

• 2024 Subscriptions

Proposing another trip to the Cowal for the Legbender ride. For those who don't know, this is just a really long hard ride with tons of climbing and a lunch stop. The aim ain't to do this as quick as possible, but to try and climb more than 3000metres at a steady pace. V early start 7.00 from club; 7.30 at bridge.

Route= bridge; Sinclair street; old whistlefield climb; loch Tarsan; c11, road to Tighnabruich; Kyles; loch Tarsan reverse; optional whistlefield reverse; ferry; Clune; home

Usual caveat - weather dependant.

Show of hands, please.

Saturday now good for me. Darryl send me a note of your postcode and house number, I'll drive over. One indulgence sought however, I have a black tie dinner on Friday and while I will be taking it easy on the wine, a forgiving first hour or so would be appreciated.

On the point of a curtailed route, I think the bunch size should dictate that and not Iain's Saturday evening plans. Home for 5 pm, post ride bowl of (insert sugar loaded cereal of choice), half hour kip, shower, dressed, out the door at 6.30pm, restaurant for 7pm Hello,beer!! . All good :icon_mooning

M

• Members

Mark, happy to go with a later start 08:00 at the bridge if that suits all, you can even park up at mines in Erskine for a bit longer in your scratcher.

My intention is to head to Dunoon from Strachur, as I have been warned to be home at a reasonable time. Last Cowal leg bender I told missus that I would be back for 15:00 only to arrive back a broken man at 19:15. Unsure how Darryl's yorkshire clock actually works but I'll go with majority concensus :unsure:

Iain,

I was only pulling your (soon to be tired) leg. 100 miles with a good dose of verticle thrown in I'd be looking at 7 hours in the saddle (15ish mph ave). Factor in a ferry crossing and lunch - an 8 hour day.

Home by 15.00 Home for 5 pm, post ride bowl of (insert sugar loaded cereal of choice) and now a coffee, 2 and a half hour power recovery sleep kip, shower, dressed, out the door at 6.30pm, restaurant for 7pm Hello,beer!! . All good :icon_mooning.

• Members

okay 07:30 at Bridge Saturday is a goer, if no delays Fridxay night back from scouse land 

Mark, you got it right, legs shredded after last Darryl adventure and sure this will be no different. Just watch out for Darryls Yorkshire clock, as we were supposed to be back around 15;00 last time. Vaguely remember Darryl and Ginty saying at Strachur 'it's not that far to Otter Ferry'! Will be bailing this time for a lone run to Dunoon, may even may do the Ardentinny climb if anything left in the legs.