Doonbank on Sunday - which race?

DavieB

• 2023 Subscriptions

And of course there is an excellent view of Arran from Ayr. In fact my uncle worked there and rearranged his office so that he could gaze and daydream over the view each day, he was a hiker but fully appreciates the monumental, greater than Flanders, life changing moment, that it would be to do the DA

• Life Members

Guys, all the very best tomorrow. In a spate of common sense I emailed the organiser this morning and excused myself for reason of man flu. Looking on the positive they say that rest is just as important as training.

Have a belter.

:)

Paul, where is your DA reference in this?

Your following post just about saved your blushes :-)

Get well soon!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tough race today... Mud was the word... very eh Belgian ;) This was the hardest race so far for me(to much running uphill in mud)]... Bike weighed double by the end. Me and David C in the B race got a good start and finished we 23rd and 27th. The B race really messed up the course for the A race, with Alex B and Davie B looking strong(by strong I mean suffering and covered in mud). Great event and day!

post-3986-0-95496300-1453664097_thumb.jpgpost-3986-0-41162700-1453664125_thumb.jpgpost-3986-0-03119300-1453663996_thumb.jpgpost-3986-0-54686500-1453664017_thumb.jpgpost-3986-0-08117800-1453664043_thumb.jpgpost-3986-0-31992800-1453664078_thumb.jpg

After that the DA would be a piece of p!$#...

Truly brutal. Questioning the sanity of any of this nonsense.

Got a good start with Davie B, but as i headed down the start line i thought i had a puncture. Battled on. The course was awful. 10-12" deep mud on the uphill running sections (almost anything with a slight incline) and wheelspinning if not running.

Stopped after the first lap to check out my puncture. A good 10 folk passed me. My heart sank when i realised i'd just let a bit too much air out of my tyre and dudn't have a punctute. Got back on and thought about how i could best create a puncture to end this misery...

I'm trying to think about a good bit of the course. The sharp uphill which had no mud was probably it. You could crack on and clear some mud from the tyres at this section, only to encase them again with 5m of hitting the mud.

Finished 46th, which i am dumbfounded by as i really thought i was dead last. I suppose the last lap or two had me catching folk.

Spent at least 30 minutes hosing my bike, shoes and kit down. Had to wash the bath after my shower and I've probably broken the washing machine.

Well done to Davie B. Another good run.

Well done all for finishing what was a truly tough course.

Had a decent start and I did like the fast run down to the 1st barriers which is classic let the bike do and go where what it wants 'cross terrain. My single ring set-up which has seen me through the 3 peaks and a couple of seasons finally met it's match with 2 chucked chains and continual clogging. Probably lost about eight places in the last lap with no legs, grip or indeed plot and Alex crossed the line finishing strong about 20 seconds behind.

Good work out!

D