Strathclyde 8th Nov 2015

Alan McLean

• Committee

Absolute cracking course which will be leaf city. Last chance to enter tonight but you might be able to twist the organiser's arms to enter on the day.

V40s and 50s and juniors all together so it will be about 4 billion cross riders going for the first corner. I am going to totally dive bomb it and cause maximum carnage and sweariness.

Looks like U12s and youths can enter on the day so bring a small person as well. I am taking 3. We need a loan of a 52 or 54 cx bike if anyone has one please. It will be returned spotless and hopefully with the RD intact (i'm not really selling this, am I?)

Alan

• Committee

Great turnout from the club, obviously a few lurkers here, and about nine Jets in the youth races athough now that Jets take up to U18 I was riding against Jess Millar who is now a Junior woman and smashing the old guys.

This is a classic fixture in a great venue with good parking and the hot dog van sold bean to cup coffee.

We started a minute behind the women and juniors. The start was a hoot with fifty guys gunning for the 5 metre gap into the course proper. Shouty. There then followed murderous 180s on grass, bombhole,  through the arena., run up, blaze nightmare and about a kilometre of really sweet singletrack with a few rooty, leafy slaloms including the beech tree bombhole, go right or left?

I was having a great time until a double puncture on the rocky arena pretty much ended my race. Suspect I might be dqd for timing errors after I lost a few minutes getting a spare bike but pleaded with the timers to at least give me a finish.

The rain really started just as we finished so only watched a couple of laps of v40 to jeer at Davie and Alex ("provide encouraging support" shurely?..Ed) Biblical torrent followed.

500 riders is 1000 wheels so the course will have had about 5000 tyre tracks today. It was already disintegrating. Lots of photographers around. I cannot wait to see the effects of rain on the later races.

National champs in Irvine on Dec 6th or something. This is our local course. Brilliant riding on almost smooth machair. Rumours of a 200m sandtrap trench are exaggerated, its only 170m long. Sell your track bike, buy a crosser and get your entries in now.

Alan - the "just 30 minutes to go" line was the funniest thing I've heard on a bike. Was wondering why you had swapped to the MTB halfway thru'.

A classic course probably my favorite of the Scottish scene provided the expected good fun and held up well considering the amount of wheels churning it up.

Great fun and well done all who took part, top 50's and unlapped for me and Alex who sportingly pipped me on the line :). Believe me unlapped is an achievement!

Cant' wait 'till the next go round.

Echo the above. Slippery, muddy, wet, windy, magic! A bit surprised to find about 50 riders seeded and filling up the front 5 rows at the start though, but I suppose this was a championship round.

Folk all over the place at the start with a crash stopping us in our tracks before we hit the first mud. Three running sections which were pretty long due to the state of the course. Very few passing opportunities in the second half of the lap though as the trails are so narrow which can hold you up for a fair amount of time. Overall a great course though with a nice mix of deep mud, less deep mud and shallow mud to deal with.

Managed to catch up with Davie B's group on second last lap before slamming head first into a tree. Lost front brake and twisted lever. Took until said tree on final lap to catch him again just in time to see him wipe out in front of me in a track blocking classic but he got going again preventing my pass.

Felt a bit (okay not at all) bad as we sprinted the final 100m to the line just edging it. Sorry Davie!

That's my first cx race without being lapped so a definite improvement.

• Committee

with the exception of the arena and the bridge runup  the course was all rideable (even by me) early in the day so you guys must have hit a wall of mud.

I am loving my cx and am now looking at new wheels to reduce my intrinsic suck factor. Of course the wife and children will starve but I might save 5 or 10 watts.

• Life Members

A new first. Finally looked at tubes. I got three simultaneous snakebite punctures on Sunday. Four slits in rear, two in front. Hmmm. could either buy a new pair of Enve wheels with Dugast tubs or two new inner tubes from Tesco, 3 quid each.

Tubs, Alan .............. long live tubs! :-)

The wife & kids will understand your need for tub & watts!

Cheers

Chung