tyre fitting question

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

anyone know why a clincher tyre (have tried 3 different tyres, both folding and wired) will not sit properly on the wheel... it just doesn't want clinch on the rim at the same level all the way round (hope that makes sense ), so end up having a real low spot .. I've checked the wheel and cant see a thing wrong with it and have changed the rim tape as it was coming away...

cheers

Ian

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Paul,

Not sure that will work in this case. Its not that they tyre isn't going on, it seems that its not coming up far enough at parts to locate in the clincher slot thingy. Its like I need to draw it out at parts, its going to deep into the rim.....

Ian,

A new one on me however assuming your bead profile is relatively deep (?), I would de-mount the tyre and stretch the life out of it.

After that apply fairy liquid generously inside the bead before blowing up the lube should help it seat.

If it will still not seat I would give up frankly. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ive never experienced this with road wheels and tubes but with tubeless mountain bike tyres you need to use compressed air (a co2 canister will do) to get the tyre to seat properly.

However with a tube involved this might just lead to it being caught between the rim and the bead and loud bang!

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've had this a few times with new Michelin pro race 4 - you ending up with a 'flat spot' on the wheel?

Good news is I've managed to sort it each time. Bad news is it took a bit of work inflating/deflating/working the tyre on the rim/reflating the tyre.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Ian

Echoing Martin - I've had this a few times, especially with Pro 4s and Zondas. Make sure all is clean and dry and then put some talc inside tyre before fitting. Then do your best with fingers to seat it and do as Paul L suggests. I know it's a real PITA but this worked for me.