Intermediate Run 1st June

GrahamF

• 2023 Subscriptions

I propose to go to Strachur via Gourock, Western Ferries, Loch Tarsan and Glendaruel. Similar to the run that some of us did on 27th April, but instead of starting with the main bunch we may meet them at the cafe at Strachur.

Its 30 miles to the cafe by this route, and total of 48 miles for the round trip back to the ferry via Loch Eck.

I'm looking at the 10:00 ferry. The main bunch reckon on 1.5 hrs from Miller St. to McInroy's Point for the ferry, so at Intermediate speeds I reckon 2 Hrs. so 8:00 start at Miller St. and via the cycle track to Kilmacolm, down Clune Brae at Port Glasgow and stopping for ferry tickets at Pauls Food and Wine shop in Gourock.

I will start from Kilmacolm (The Pullman Pub), anyone starting from Miller St. at 8 should be there around 8:45, so I will be there then.

Anyone wanting to do the ride from Dunoon without wearing themselves out getting to the ferry could take a train and cycle the last couple of miles to the ferry, or leave their car somewhere near the ferry. Beware of parking restrictions, but there are car parks in the centre of Gourock and opposite the garden centre at Lunderston Bay, these are both about 2 miles from the ferry terminal - but in opposite directions.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good run. Enjoyed the day, in spite of not everything going to plan. Slept in, so had to time-trial down to Gourock for the ferry. No time for lunch, so solo'd back to Dunoon where the ferry was about to leave. No luck at Gourock, though, as the hourly train had left 2 minutes before I got there, which meant a very tired run back to Paisley, with 93.5 miles on the clock.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Boyd, if you had waited at the cafe you would have been another 1hr 29mins for a tea and toastie. Nice place but painfully slow. Good to see three groups in one place at the same time by different routes. Road back to the ferry was into a headwind and provided a bit of a workout. Thanks to the company. Dave and Carol.

Life's too short for the cafe at Strachur (IMO)!

Last couple of times I've been round that way I have eaten at the Creggans Inn round the corner (towards Cairndow). The bar food is excellent and reasonably priced, service first class and very welcoming of cyclists. It also has outside tables in the event of sunshine!

Iain