Chain gang Thursday 17th April

charlie p

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm a new member and have been out with the bunch a couple of times and would like to try the chain gang if possible, if so where is the meeting point and whats expected of me? If anyone could help it would be appreciated. Cheers.

Alan

Meet at the bus stop near the Houston - Crosslee roundabout https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.86487,-4.539247,3a,75y,277.64h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saBqbBKM9K3TSQpkr9bcogw!2e0

Generally pace is kept steady for the first bit along the Georgetown road - it is like what you will have experienced on normal club run for this bit - pace picks up after Bishopton onto the West Ferry where the group then rides in a paceline (i'll leave the more experienced guys to explain what to do because if i try and explain you'll probably end up doing the wrong thing!)

Unlike a normal club run if someone has a puncture, mechanical or gets dropped then the group doesnt wait. There will be a regrouping at the top of the Clune Brae (and there is also a shortcut up here if required)

Guest George

Alan, you'll be fine.

We do ride in a pace-line. It's straightforward enough but easier to instruct you on the hoof than bamboozle you with diagrams and jargon on here.

See you at bus stop at Crosslee roundabout at 6pm.

Alan

This evening's prodeedings are simple.

The roll out from the bus stop all the way to the Westferry is the same as any bunch run - 2 lines riding at a steady pace, with the guys rotating through periodically. Once on the Westferry the pace quickens and the rate at which the front riders rotate increases also - no more than 20 -30 secs on the front on the outside line (right) before you move through and on to the inside line (left). This is repeated until there is no one left or we reach Port Glasgow.

The clune brae is ridden as hard or easy as you can or want to, with a regroup at the top. The road into Kilmalcolm sees a fast bunch ride with continued rotations occuring. From Kilmalcolm to BofW and back along the Georgetown Road its a case of hang onto a wheel as best you can at race pace with a bit of a sprint at the end. You might get guys putting a dig in, its up to you to respond if you wish. All good clean fun.

Things to watch for

Don't surge/accelerate through to the front when its your turn at the front - everything is still done smoothly this includes moving across to the inside - don't cut in the guy at the front might give you a verbal ok when your rear wheel is clear.

Keep pace with the rider in front of you, and the group in general, and avoid letting gaps forming - the pace will go up as we travel the Westferry until its full gas into Port Gasgow - don't worry if you get pinged off the back.

Make an effort to latch onto the wheel of the last man of the outside line as he comes past you when it's your turn to switch to the outside line. You'll normally get a call.

All of the above will seem a lot to take on board but try and watch what the experienced guys do for a few rotations and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. I'll try to get along earlier tonight and chat you through things and answer and questions you have.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great night for a run out. I may have been dropped on the Westferry, but I still took a pb up the Clune. And it was faster than my first attempt two weeks ago, so got to be pleased with that.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Nice night for it and good turnout too.

I had a gopro camera on the bike but i accidentally turned it off at the top of Clune so missed everything after that and before then most of the footage is into the sun so not the best quality. Conveniently this means my poor excuse for a late breakaway on the Georgetown was missed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ioI9aSDhEE