2014 Trip Granada

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

My research suggests Costa Blanca has driest climate in Europe excluding Canaries.

From world weather online,

Calpe, Av high March 20, av low 9, rainfall days 7, rainfall amount 20mm

Granada, Av high 20, av low 4, rainfall days 8, rainfall amount 30mm

Being inland Granada quite a bit colder at night in March. That said cycling 30km inland on Costa Blanca in March the temp is down at 6c in the very early morning too.

Calpe just shaves it for me but happy to go somewhere different. Lots of excellent Chinese in Calpe and the Col de Rates time trial too.

:)

• 2024 Subscriptions

My research suggests Costa Blanca has driest climate in Europe excluding Canaries.

From world weather online,

Calpe, Av high March 20, av low 9, rainfall days 7, rainfall amount 20mm

Granada, Av high 20, av low 4, rainfall days 8, rainfall amount 30mm

Being inland Granada quite a bit colder at night in March. That said cycling 30km inland on Costa Blanca in March the temp is down at 6c in the very early morning too.

Calpe just shaves it for me but happy to go somewhere different. Lots of excellent Chinese in Calpe and the Col de Rates time trial too.

:)

Yep, I didn't look at Costa Blanca, but that looks good too :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

http://www.calpe-apartments.co.uk/ambar-beach-apartment.htm

Suggested destination for period Thus 3rd April to Monday 7th April 2014. Lots of flights to Alicante which is 45 min drive.

Not looked in great detail but looks like £320 per week for apartment for 4. It's self catering but there are many many cheap eateries within 5 mins walk so no need to cook except for breakfast.

On average this is the best destination in Europe excluding Canaries for weather. But I can't guarantee it!

It does take 30 mins to get inland off the busier coast but you can do it on quiet roads and once inland its worth it for some of the best cycling roads in the world imho.

Anyone else fancy it?

If not then it happens to be same weekend as the Ronde which I am also thinking about but I just can't imagine it could be as good as last time and there is no kappelmuur and bosberg for the old traditionalists like me :)

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Unfortunately i cant make it next year, looks good, but isn't that just one apt that is for rent, and unless you go head to toe with your mate, it's only 3 beds... doesn't mention any more apartments for rent, or am I missing it ?

Ian....

• 4 weeks later...

Was think that myself Al. I think we've kind of, perhaps, maybe, sort of settled for Spain somewhere. Not sure of when - April or May perhaps even March......or was it June???

Has anyone got a firm idea of what is being proposed. No point me looking into this one because I am unashamedly rubbish at sorting out holiday stuff like hotels and flights and have little or no prior experience of mainland Europe to look to. Any takers to look at 2 perhaps 3 options in reasonable detail and post them up for a yes/no majority vote and firm up on dates.

Bear in mind we can't possibly meet everyones needs. That said I'm flexible as to when and where so long as its warm and sunny for the most part and we can get there from Glasgow.

Guys

I can't go in March due to work nor can I make early April due to having an assessment at Manchester

So it would have to be latter for me if at all

I think Mark is right somebody needs to take the bull by the horns and get something sorted

I just don't have the time just now to organise anything

Would consider a return trip to Mallorca - later on than this year to try and guarantee the weather as much as possible.

Flights from Glasgow, easy transfer, hotel set-up for bikes and associated re-fueling, no navigation of industrial estates or motorways to get to decent roads - all boxes ticked.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't say no to Davie's suestion. I had already muted this elsewhere on this thread and I'd be happy to go in May. Hotel and location were good. The one day I did do in the hills was pretty good and to be fair I don't think I did the island justice, what with my ability to ride a bike being on a par with the weather.

M

Where is our very own Ritchie Cross? Is he still searching for his "Mojo"? :grin:

:) I don't think I'll be going next year. Mrs C has given me the all clear but it might not make sense from a credit card point of view! It might not count now, but Mallorca definitely wouldn't disappoint. Been there, done that but as already said, it ticks the boxes. Mallorca might sway me :)

Is it fair to say the preferred date for this is moving towards late Apr / May. I think PMcD's dates are at the start of the school hols and could be more expensive/ busier ( wetter ?).

Been doing some browsing and there is plenty of accom down Paul's way but no mention of anything set up for cycling that I have found. Still think Granada would be great Charlie - real Spain and all that. Looks like we would be on our own for accom and transfer - although threre is a regular bus as you pointed out. Nice place called Alhama de Granada on the way up -somebody runs cyle tours out of there and the town sounds great - thermal springs, gorge , bars,free tapas !

As for Mallorca again - we've done the big climbs so not looking to hurry back.

http://www.alhamaaccommodation.com/casa-verde.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion..

A compromise would be Mallorca again based in the south (e.g. Palmanova). I remember the Mimimosa Park Hotel was a favourite with the Glasgow Wheelers. While the Palmanova Palace was also popular. Both had high capacity. Nearby to the hotels is an Irish pub, while just a short walk away is the cultural retreat of Magaluf..

The advantage of the south is short aiport connection (maximum 30 minutes), routes to places like Port Andrax are accessible, and you can do a tourist run to Palma easily. You can still do a loop over Soller or the Puig from the south, but it is a little longer. It gives the opportunity to precede Soller with Deia, which mixes it up a little. And of course the advantage of Magaluf.

Disadvantages are that Sa Calobra is almost impossible in a single day, there is no chance of going to the lighthouse, and the Calvia climb is a daily staple that might get a bit repetitive by day 4. Also getting to the east and back is a bit of a pain (so doing monastery loops are tricky). And of course the disadvantage of Magaluf.

Knowing both I prefer the north for training and variety of routes (for longer holidays). I prefer the south for the shorter transfer time, and nightlife (but then I get sentimental about Blackpool).