Arran, its back and its bad

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just gauging interest for a standard Arran challenge on Sunday 14th July. Assuming the roadworks did complete on 28th June. This is the one and only weekend day in July which I can do a bunch run. Ok Costa Blanca this weekend is nice compensation :)

Standard challenge being proposed as the first ferry on Sunday is 9.45am. Target return ferry is 1350. Standard challenge for those who don't know is 55 miles on rough and rolling roads at average 20mph. It is hard. Davie B, tri man Alan, Fergus or David T can share the gory details of 55 miles of single mindedness, lots of snot, stems chewed etc.

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul

This sounds really horrible, painful and hard. You could really suffer quite badly.

I'll be there not withstanding house move malarky.

Are you not on holiday by the way?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

After much humming and hawing I have decided to give this a bash.

No shame in being dropped in this illustrious company. :roll:

Are we riding down? If so, where and when to meet up?

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

By the looks of things we have 4 bodies maximum.

Is this enough?

I'm ok to meet earlier, if it suits other parties who need to be home sharp.

• 2023 Subscriptions

George, probably Hugh as well as Davie and Andy. Which would be plenty.

Having said all that I have this unexpected complication on Sunday afternoon. So whilst I really hate to miss the chance of Arran I would be quite happy to go for a mainland equivalent down round Galston, Sorn way about 8.30am if others were up for it.

:)

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Paul, I'm easy either way.

Maybe better to postpone & let billy et al join us for a real good crack at it.

Prior to signing up for this I had planned an early start down to stewarton-Dunlop-Saltcoats-up haylie-over to dalry & stagger home.

I'll go with the flow. :)

Let me know what the concensus is ....I would be perfectly happy with a brisk run round the transmitter hill route if Arran is off the agenda.

If truth be told I could do with getting back a bit earlier myself to get some stuff done about the house but nothing binding.

Should be there whatever the route.

D

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

So with Paul, Davie & I having time constraints do youse fancy postponing & going for a ride round Ayrshire or Renfrewshire instead?

Maybe a Saturday is better for Arran what with the earlier ferry time.

Concensus?

With the postponement of the Arran trip, we now have two club runs - one going north to Aberfoyle and one south to transmitter hill.

This doesn't make sense to me having two small groups.

Since aberfoyle was poted up first may I suggest thet we go thet route. Those who are short of time can bail out at Aberfoyle and head those with more time/energy can continue round Loch Katrine. Happy to depart 08:30 if that helps.

Opinions please.

I have had been struggling with a chest infection for a few weeks and not been out much so shorter route may be better for me. I will see how I feel when I get to Aberfoyle.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul

An 830 lively one out to transmitter hill would satisfy my need for suffering whilst creating a feeling of warmth and peacefulness in my good lady as I arrive home in decent time. If we do this can I suggest our suffering is rewarded with coffee at lochwinnoch.

Andy

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Andy, this would meet my requirements.

Paul, whilst I appreciate that we do normally have one big "main bunch" of a Sunday the Arran ride was posted as a challenge for like minded chaps who are after a workout. The fact the route may now change to transmitter hill doesn't change the purpose of the ride. It's not a club run. It's a challenge.

So we are not hijacking or proposing an alternative main bunch ride. What we are saying is that if anyone wants to join us in doing something a bit different then please come along. If its not for you then we'll see you at the next main bunch ride.

Let's just do our own thing this weekend & not make an issue out of something/nothing.

George (Judean Popular Front)