Arran, its back and its bad

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ok then. Arran on back burner but a must at some point.

Who up for 0830 at clubrooms for a single line 'challenge' from top of bowfield at 20mph average - with the exception of transmitter and graveyard climbs where a regroupment can occur.

Meantime, please be sympathetic and say nice things to me on Sunday as I had to part with my beloved Scott frame for the next week as it had to be returned to mother ship for some repairs. I'm through the shock stage but not quite managed through the grieving yet. Please no flowers or cards, just make a donation to the frame repair charity.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Paul

You've got five stages of grieving so I suspect you're still in denial suggesting that you're "through the shock but not the grieving". This doesn't count separation anxiety and the disorganisation of your bike attachment representations. I think 20mph is a great coping strategy. Lets hope for some TDF style cross winds to make it all pretty and nice.

Andy

Paul on the subject of frame repairs can you recommend anyone who could remove a bolt whose head had been worn and won't budge ? The bit where you would put the Allen key in has completely worn and it won't turn. I've secured the bottle cage with a cable tie as a temporary measure

Cheers

Colin,

The official answer is with an "easy out" however other option is to effectively cut a cross groove in the head of the bolt with hacksaw so you can use standard screwdriver.

Would be a bit concerned if your tensioning a cable tie round your frame as any movement will cause damage - cosmetic or otherwise.

Paul,

Will meet you at 8:10 at the loch, don't know how I will go as was out for 20 miles today and it was just a heavy legged slog interspersed with some wheezing so the omens don't look good.

D

Guys

I think you are all fit enough to increase that average to twenty plus at least and no slower than 15 on the hills

Paul what happend to your frame ?

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Guys, had an awful week on the bike-abandoned club confined on Tuesday and had a stinker in the 10 at westferry this morning. I have had a bug since Monday but have held off pulling out of tomorrow's ride in the hope it would clear up. I don't feel awful any more but have had a headache for 6 days now and I'm still only feeling 75% so, rather than hold you guys up, I'm just gonna do my own thing.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Brilliant edition of the Galston leg bender. Billy you will be pleased to hear that Hugh, Andy, Davy, Iain and I managed to average 21.54 from Greenacres to Galston.

Having pushed it hard to top of transmitter Davy decided to return for Sunday lunch at that point.

Thereafter I nominate Iain for rider of the day, whilst he found the steep hills challenging he kept coming back for more and just got stronger the further we went. Great ride Iain.

Hugh was opposite from Iain as he was a bit under the weather and the distance and constant hard climbs on heavy roads began to tell, nothing a few longer runs won't sort :)

Andy was in his familiar hard riding machine mode.

The leg bender climbs lived up to their mantle and duly bent legs.

I will keep searching for an Arran challenge date as there are enough strong legs right now to make it a breeze, there will be time for a pint in Brodick :)

Ah we'll at least I managed to do the 20 mph bit today.

Would have been extremely tedious and unfair on you guys if I had continued as I was crawling on the way back with legs screaming...back to the drawing board for the umpteenth time this year.

It was a cracking day for it and Mr C well done.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Five souls set out over the Bowfield heading towards Galston riding in TTT positions. Good discipline and turntaking saw us make a very decent pace. Then Transmitter hill. Then descent into Davel. Then Graveyard Climb. Then switchback descent. Then it gets a bit fuzzy and hazy. Then the fog clears at Fenwick with a quick watering hope stop before TTT back to Lochwinnoch. Fantastic ride today. Chapeau to Couttie! Thanks everyone for a great cycle!

Andy