captain of the bunch

gregbalden

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hello all,

As you may know on occasion there is some disagreement with pace and etiquette in the main bunch. I am proposing we elect a captain of the main bunch, and hopefully a vice captain or two, if needs be.

The purpose would be someone with a good cycling head and a confident rider in the bunch to offer advice and keep things together. Too many times has there been disagreement on what the 'main bunch ride' is to consist of. And we need to adress this and sort out the problem before the whole main bunch rips its self to shreds. The captain would not be a policeman of the bunch, just a knowledgeable individual who can steer the bunch correctly so that new comers can join and people from shorter distance bunches can progress and better themselves.

I have spoken to some old and new faces in the bunch, and there seems to be a positive reaction to this. I don't believe re-branding the main bunch is necessary.

A few other points to note, I don't believe the captain should set where we go each week, the current system of anyone posting a run, people agreeing and going with it works well. This person would merely keep the pace steady, suggest adjustments to any etiquette issues and also offer advice where needed. Another positive would be, it would give new faces someone to turn to and ask questions and someone to direct the new faces.

Please do comment on your thoughts and feelings on this. I suggest candidates come forward and then we can see about a vote?

Greg

Greg,

Fair play to you for sticking your head above the parapet and in a very reasoned way....don't disagree with anything you have posted and hope you generate some reasonable debate which given the recent history of this forum would be a welcome change.

All the best.

Davie

Guest EPCC

What do they do

Dictate pace ?

Sprints for road signs ?

Teach instruct inform?

Choose stops

Why do we try and fix things that are not broken its a bike ride nothing more nothing less sometimes its hard sometimes it's fast it's the some of all who rides on each and every time and therefore never the same

Don't look for simplicity in chaos

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy,

No. The captain would keep a check on the pace. Too many times there is moans and groans ' too fast today, too slow today'.

Habbles. By all means habble away, we do that as it is, its unspoken and its fine as it is.

Teaching. In some cases, yes. New riders often do not know how to ride in a bunch and often some old heads aren't following good bunch etiquette.

Chose stops. Not necesarily, that's a fluid thing based on general feeling and really who ever has posted the run has an idea of where they feel the stop should be.

" Why do We try fix things that aren't broken?" I put that question to you regarding bunch re-branding.

This isn't as I said a policemans role. Its a fluid role which would keep a check on what a sunday run should be. Not a sunday skelping! Tues and thursdays are for those.

Greg

Greg,

With respect, you have jumped the gun a little on this one - not that you would have known. There is a proposal going before the committee soon which will look at this issue as part of a wider look at the club's run structure. I'm not against debate however I think it best to wait to see what is put out for comment before a full on debate if one is considered necessary is embarked on.

Much of what has already been aired on this thread has been considered and I have approached a number of individuals as to whether they would mind being recommended to take on the role, once the specifics have been agreed on. Positive responses at the moment.

If I could ask that everyone keeps their powder dry until the committee has considered the proposal in the round. I'm sure anyone wishing to air their views would be welcome to attend the next committee meeting.

Cheers

M

• Administrators

There was a discussion at one of the recent committee meetings about posting some guidelines as to what the Sunday bunches are about.

From the website -

Club runs

During the Club runs the bunch regroups regularly to ensure no one is left at the mercy of mechanical failure or abandoned in the maze of roads which we regularly visit. Safety while riding in a bunch is vital and there are always some “old hands” on the runs to make sure the new guy or girl is brought up to speed with the “shouts” and how to position and spell etc.

There used to be 3 bunches when I joined the club - 30 milers, main bunch, training bunch.

The main bunch was a 40-70 mile "Sunday run".

More info to follow after next committee meeting.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ok mark, thanks! I had herd whispers of something you have outlined and I had also, as I said, went to a few faces within the club asking opinion.

Glad to hear there is some discussion elsewhere.

Jann, thanks for the definition, I think this has been lost slighlty in recent times.

Greg

Guest EPCC

Just a reminder not so many years back the normal winter bunch ride consisted of me and Charlie hanging on to David and Jim

This has grown to 10 or more riders. The rides in the better weather has also increased yet we are trying to change re brand or whatever something that's not broken

Most main bunch riders should ask themselves am I a better fitter stronger rider that last year if the answers yes then what we are doing is working if its no then get out more

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Just a reminder not so many years back the normal winter bunch ride consisted of me and Charlie hanging on to David and Jim

This has grown to 10 or more riders. The rides in the better weather has also increased yet we are trying to change re brand or whatever something that's not broken

Most main bunch riders should ask themselves am I a better fitter stronger rider that last year if the answers yes then what we are doing is working if its no then get out more

+1 I agree with Billy. 1st time for everything...

Guys,

Before the bun fight starts in earnest, no one is saying anything is necessarily broken, so remove that thought from your heads. Why is it that when there is the hint of an idea being proposed which might rationally question the status quo (if that indeed is happening) that it is immediately assumed that someone is trying to always 'fix' something. It might just be the case that a genuine improvement has been identified and is being considered in full to see if it would work rather than dismissed out of hand before given an airing. So chill and show a little patience. Something may come of this but by the same token nothing might.

As some background for all members, the committee felt that a number of the club runs had changed over the last few years. It was agreed that perhaps now was the time to consider bringing the club run structure up to date in respect of the whole club, not just the main bunch. I was asked to look at this and come up with something that the club can use which more accurately reflects the make up of the club runs as they are now, to guide current members and more importantly, given the real growth in popularity in cycling, potential new members. In doing so some issues have come to light which, in my view, we as a club would do well to address. I have put forward an idea or two for consideration - nothing more.

On a personal note this thread, well intentioned as it is by Greg, has fallen into the usual trap of assuming this is all about the main bunch , as have some of its contributors. This is not about the main bunch, it IS about the whole club and how it sound by set out to allow the club and the various groups within it to develop and flourish. Johnstone Wheelers Cycling Club consists of 4 regular established club runs not just the one.

To reassure those who might be fretting and getting their lycra in a twist over something they have little or no knowledge about, there are no wholesale or fundamental changes within what I have put forward. Much of this is a case that the run structure has changed because the members have made that change, this perhaps is the club catching up with the members and adding a bit too.

Happy cycling.

M

The Usual Suspects(2012)

Never ends!! - Crime|Mystery|Thriller – 23rd May 2013(Joansin’)

Your rating:

12345678910-/10X

Ratings:8.7/10 from 440,937 users Metascore: 77/100

Reviews: 1,077 user| 139 critic| 22 from Metacritic.com

A club run has been destroyed, bunch etiquette is dead, and the key to this mystery lies with the only survivor and his twisted, convoluted story beginning with five lycra clad loons in a seemingly random exercise in half wheeling.

Director:

B McDonald

Writer:

M O’Neil

Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Spacey & some mamils - See full cast and crew