2012 Review / 2013 Preview

Mark O

Well Guys and Gals of the mighty Joansin, 2012 is drawing to a close and the new year is almost upon us.

It's been an interesting year, Sir Wiggo in some shade of yellow or other for most of the summer, Lance stripped of his jerseys and his fall from grace, the Joansin cutting a dash in Italyland, the 30 milers regularly doing more than 30 miles and it raining almost every weekend since that nice one we had in March!!!!!! to name but a few high and low lights. What have been the best/worse bits for you.

For me the best bits - the Italy trip and completing the NC is up there, along with seeing so many turn out to ride the Jim Daly Memorial and trying my hand at road racing. From the pro scene most memorable moments - Frome getting the short leash treatment after dropping Wiggins and following team orders and Wiggins in yellow leading the peleton on the Champs Elyseees just before the last corner helping launch Cav. Fantastic cycling moment.

Lowlights - coming off with style in August and Mr Hill sprinting past me on the Crow - cheers Tom still smarts!!!!!!!!

For 2013 - Keeping one step/pedal turn ahead of MacB at all times. Life would be truly unbearable otherwise.

So what about the rest of you?

• 2023 Subscriptions

as i have posted before, i have thoroughly enjoyed my two years with the club, this year saw me being inspired to start racing,in my first year i have managed road, mtn bike and track, i wish i could say succesfully,however its all about taking part! My best of 2012 would be club runs, sad but true,so thanks all for the helpfull criticisim ( you know who you are).Strong legs to all for 2013.

iain

Best bits the run from hill eight to nine in the NC and the last stretch of same

Drumlanrig train

And the opening of the track

Looking forward to being lighter and stronger

Might even do some hill repeats this year

• 2023 Subscriptions

Best - Nove Colli was fantastic. Opening of track - also fantastic. And Boonen's double.

Worst - the sham and shame that was Lance, although at a rough guess probably > 80% of the peloton then (and now) just as much on the juice.

2013 - hope y'all get a pb.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'll start with the lowlights but then considering it was only Jan 8th I've done ok.

- seeing the inside of my knee in technicolor glory, worse still thinking all the training and hard work was for nothing!!

Best bit; the quick realisation that it wasn't, culminating in the Nove Colli which was something I could only have dreamed of completing two years ago.

.......Oh yeah, sprinting past the Skinny One on the Crow Road - well, if you know it will only happen once, make the most of it I say :-)

........And passing Paul MacDonald on the Clune - Ok i have heard the Completely unfounded rumours that he was eating his packed lunch at the time, nor was he giving anyone directions! I was there!!

Bring on 2013!!

Tom

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

This year went ok for me up until April then the wheels came off the bogey-knee trouble, numerous chest infections and more knee problems.

Think I only managed the Jim Daly and a hilly club TT on the competition side.

Next year? would like to do some regular TTs and some track, will try a couple of APRs, have to be honest with myself-I'm never gonna be

good enough to be a road racer.

As for club rivalry, I'll quote Conan the Barbarian "the meaning of life is to crush your rivals uttelry and to listen to the lamentations of their

women"

At least I talk a good game :lol: :lol: :lol::D:P:angry:

• 2023 Subscriptions

Highlights for me are the NC and italy. Italy was truly epic! Such a good time there, the riding, the roads, food and company! I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Also doing the crit again, and surprising myself with finishing it.

I'm not soo sure of the lows, had a good cycling year all round, probably not enough racing and maybe too much food! Ha!

Greg

Highlight for me was the 30 milers taking a good sized bunch over to Rothesay and entering our first proper road race and neither of us finishing last

Low point was Elaine giving me a good kicking on the Scottish Bike Show Sportive by beating me by 53 minutes ( 64 really hilly miles i might add )

Big talking point has to be the opening of the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome with the JWCC having a good turnout each week for the league with more to follow and hopefully some more 30 milers taking part ( the less said bout lance the better )

How could i forget team GB at the olympics its all good isnt it ?

Happy New Year to Everyone

Greig & Elaine Hello,beer!!

Highlight - Nove Colli (obviously!). Before the event was doubtful about doing the long course but finished it with energy to spare (and ahead of some of my clubmates!). The 15 mile high speed dash to the finish was amazing - pure adrenaline rush!

Low points - none at all!

Looking forward to another great cycling year - bring on the hills!

Best Wishes for the New Year!

• 2024 Subscriptions

Happy New Year to you all!

I think it has been a great cycling year, both personally and more generally.

Personal highlights

• All the longs runs we did as a group as preparation for the NC. I really loved the feeling of camaraderie thatworking for a common goal brought.
  • The NC itself was, as most have said, a great experience. Highlights for me - the trip to San Marino, the NC itself, especially Alan McLean's timetrial up one of the hills with me on his wheel :uzi and the final ride down the valley being motor-paced at 30mph. Brilliant!
  • Loved the Drumlanrig too.
  • The Velodrome - the future is oval and indoors Ohyadancer!

Pro highlights

• Wiggo :icon_yes
  • Sir Chris at the Olympics
  • Laura trot :icon_bounce_hearts
  • La Vuelta

Here's to another great cycling year Hello,beer!!

• Committee

Darryl, Paul you beat me to it :icon_yes

Darryl, Al and I led a bunch of a hundred full gas back into Cesenatico, 20k on the flat, chasing down attacks to make sure that blue and yellow got to the line first. Utterly brilliant. The morning ride out may have been faster but it was great to lead out at 45 kph with 205k already in the legs.

Doing ok in triathlon, my TT is now my weakest discipline, need to train properly on the (yawn) aerobars.

Hope to get my coaching certificate a record-breaking three years after doing the course. Lots of great youth coaching going on and the drome has really ignited interest.

Best time was cycling in Majorcan sun with Katie after years in the Linwood mud. It's all good.

See you next year.

Alan

Personal highlights: Team Calamity on the Chocolate Cup, a club HC Champs (which my wife will testify from my raning when I got home was A BIG DEAL), magic legs on the Robert Millar Sportive, landing the Commonwealth job.

Pro Highlights: Wiggins, Boonen and a Garmin GT win.

Also, my parents neglected to tell me a Belgian ex-pro lives on their street now.

Personal highlights were some great club runs, doing my first 100 miler and then doing more. Obviously Italy and the Nove Colli wins hands down.

From the scenery, roads, food, company and to the event itself, it couldn't have been better. For the event...I say this in hindsight!

Pro highlights were Wiggo's season and I loved Tornado Tom getting back to winning ways...made up for the lack of Gilbert. Always love to see Cav winning.

Lows were obviously the Armstrong saga but that's old news now.

Main low is work getting in the way of club runs and just not getting out anywhere as much as I'd like.