Sunday 15th Jan 09:00 - Troon?

Paul C

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching, I'm watching.......nothing is happening, it's not moving.

Yes, Coach did task me with posting a run and I did have the Venice cafe in mind. So here goes. Miller Street depart 09.00, Bowfield Hill, Luggie, Dunlop, Stewarton, Kilmaurs, Auchentiber (think there is a 20 there for you Billy, won't be contested) Crosshouse, Gatehead, Dundonald (with option of hill), Troon (cafe stop). Return via Irvine, Kilwinning then either Barrmill, whisky bonds, Howwood and Johnstone; or 3 towns up the coast to Seamill, West Kilbride, Dalry, Kilbirnie then track. Mileage 60ish via Barrmill, 70+ via 3 towns. A bit more rolling than the coast road, plenty of 30s for Gregand others to play with and Dundonald Hill, which will wake your legs up, for the Skinnies. If particularly icy, the intention would be to stick to coast route.

Rode the Barrmill circuit this morning, the roads are rubbish to say the least. Potholes, loose stones and gravel and all sorts of debris from storms. My preference would be 3 towns, Seamill and West Kilbride etc. So, who is coming out to play?

Marko

Paul, yip, usual place and time. Ritchie, 08.20 on the track if you are heading out. Subject of course to conditions under tyre. If its icy I intend driving to Johnstone. Will keep eye on weather and advise accordingly.

As general point I'm keen on the 3 town route and up coast to W kilbride. this is slightly longer but pancake flat to Seamill then a bit of a drag part way to Dalry before rolling road. Ritchie, if you can get to Seamill then I'll tow you home. Jody, if you can get to Kilbirnie the bunch will tow you along track to Johnstone. Usual rules apply if you're feeling it sit in at the back and don't be afraid to ask for the pace to be moderated. Long steady miles is the order of the day at the moment. Hopefully a good turn out will mean a shared work load on the front.

Marko

Have only just joined the club and have been out with the 30 milers once but am interested to up the mileage as stepping up to half ironman this triathlon season. Can someone give me some rough details on where the group meets, approx distance and an honest opinion if I am up the task. I will then decide if this group is do-able? I generally cycle 3 times a week with 3 spinning classes in winter and a decent ride of a weekend. Any assistance would be much appreciated as don't want to embarrass myself or hold people up due to lack of ability.

Hi, Matt,

Distance to troon and back about 60 miles?

Meeet at club in Miller street (same as 30 milers).

Ave speeed is 16 - 17 mph.

If you struggle dont worry = there are bail out options.

you seem to be doing more training than me!

I manage to get round with the bunch (just about) and I am 61.

Give it a go!!!!

Paul and Matt average pace on a flat route may creep up with most of the route flat and the only bumps on way back you will likely to be moving a bit faster than that.

However mat it wont be such a pace that you will struggle if you are allready doing tris in fact you may find it slow, if not stay in the bunch but not last man as that can be very hard and impossible to stick on a wheel.

Thats my tupence worth wich counts for nothing as i wont be out but you will be fine. Try the bunch and see as pace average mph is all relative.

Billy Mac you're not coming out to play on Sunday, so wheesht.

Matt, pace will be steady but not plodding. Don't feel you must take a turn on the front. If you can't don't worry. The guys in the bunch will keep you right if you are not experienced in bunch riding. The main bunch is a bit different to the 30 milers to be fair, but you're more than welcome to join us. There are a few who have said they are turning out for the main bunch who are dipping a toe or don't get out as often as they would like, so you won't be alone.

As Paul says there are bail out options we will regroup at the top of climbs and no one gets left behind. The planned route is relatively flat after the Bowfield with only a couple of ramps in the run down to the coast. The return is flat to Seamill then a bit of a drag part way to Dalry. No other hills to speak of.

Hopefully see you Sunday

Mark

'Mon the skinnies (especially on the hills)