Ultegra vs Force

Mark O

Guys/Gals

Look for some advice/comment, but before I do so apologies to all the campag users - it just doesn't do it for me, sorry. Anyhoo I have a choice between Shim Ultegra or SRAM Force as a groupset for the new steed currently being assembled. I'm a confirmed Shimanoite and have ultegra on my giant, but am open to persuasion regards moving to SRAM. Anyone out there used or using SRAM, in particular SRAM Force. What's good, bad or indifferent about it.

All contibutions welcome.

Cheers

Mark

• Life Members

Mark,

Do you know that Ultegra now have a Di2 (Electronic) system as well as the Di2 Dura-ace. May as well, eh!

Personally speaking, I think the Sram shifters looks much nicer than the Shimano.

But haven't used it myself so can't comment on the function side of Sram.

I know Paul C use then and I think Paul Mcdonald does too.

Cheers

Chung

Mark

Why buy inferior components both are about to release 11 speed systems why so they can still claim to follow campag

Re Georges comment I think you can get spares for both equally as easy now that would suggest that they fail equally as frequent as each other

Obviously fancy double tap shifting on SRAM which I believe once you get used to it is quite nifty, otherwise would check practical things like comparison between costs of commonly replaced parts i.e. cassettes.

Campag compatability can still be problematic i.e. getting some factory built wheels with correct hub for a Campag block so don't know if similar applies to SRAM but worth checking. This is espectially true during "sale" time.

Agree that the SRAM stuff does in my opinion look better.

Of more importance what frame did you get??

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

ultegra, no questions, sram doble tap still has problems and is one of the most common things people bring bike back to the shop for.

im a campag man but shimano is failsafe, ultegra group is class, and i think they are bringing out black ultegra this year too

• Members

Mark, I had Red on my short-lived Felt. I liked the single-lever shifting a lot - it's a genuine innovation; not a gimmick. However, I did have some reservations. The levers weren't very comfortable in my big hands. I also found it quite awkward reaching down to the shifters to make gear changes from the hoods. No such problems on the drops. Finally, there was one aspect of the shifting that I couldn't get used to: imagine that you're on the largest sprocket but don't know it, and in ignorance, struggling on a hill perhaps, you try to shift to an even larger sprocket. With Campag and Shimano, the shifter will click and nothing will happen because there's nowhere else for your chain to go, but with SRAM, rather counter-intuitively, I thought, you're moved to a smaller sprocket and a harder gear.

I remember talking to Paul McD about this on a train in Belgium. I think he said I was doing something wrong - entirely possibly cos I only got to use it for 200 miles - but that's my memory of SRAM anyway.

I don't think there's much to choose between the different manufacturers. Whether you opt for Shimano, SRAM or indeed Campag, if you buy one of their more expensive offerings, you'll get good shifting and braking performance. A lot of it comes down to what you like the look of, I think.

Maybe you could arrange test rides for hands-on experience before you buy. And if that included a try-out on Campagnolo gear, I'd do that, too. I felt the same way as you about Campag - until it was on my bike.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark,

I tend to agree with Richard about trying all before ruling out certain brands due to preconceived ideas.

I have only used Campag and Shimano, so can't comment on SRAM. But here is my opion on both:

- Shimano. I have only done essentially a couple of weeks worth on Shimano Ultegra and found it to be absolutely fine. The only genuine thing I don't like about it, is that the brake part of the lever moves sideways, which on some scary mountain descents gave me a slight shock, but I guess it would just take a bit of getting used to.

- Campag. I have ridden Campagnolo since I started road biking (10-11 years). I only got it because it was what was on the bike, but I can honestly say that I have had no problems with it and now would need a lot of convincing to change. I now run four bikes with it and with very little maintenance (including my crosser). On my race bike and winter bike, the current kit I have has done about 8000-10000 miles each and apart from normal cleaning and re-greasing/oiling etc, I have had to do nothing to it.

As someone else said, it is probably about finding something that you are comfortable with (in terms of how to shift and lever hoods), because the actual working of the systems are probably so similar that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Probably not helped at all, but felt I needed to give you my tuppence worth. Have fun choosing/test riding.

Cheers,

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark

I've used Ultegra for 20 years and Force for 3 years.

Changed to Force just to do something different, because it is lighter than Dura Ace and to get carbon cranks and shifters.

Ultegra is excellent and totally reliable - so is Force. Double tap easy to get used to and very effective. My other reason for trying Force is that the cassette is interchangeable with Shimano. In fact I use an ultegra cassette to get the exact ratio I want and obviously any wheel which can take one cassette can take the other. Probably Force shifting a little more tricky to set up but that is about the only difference I can see.

you pay your money and make your choice

Oh ya dancer !

Thanks to you all, you lovely lovely people. All points duly noted.

The cost difference is about £20 which is nothing all things considered. There probably is no more than a Rizzla paper on a crash diet between them hence the post. Paul McD/Richard thanks for the "hands on" reviews. The reviews I have read pretty much chime with what you guys are saying. Will take the advice to go try before I buy, any excuse, not that I need one, to go salivate over the shiny bits LBSs keep in glass cabinets.

Compag? Hmmm I just don't like the thumb shifters on the inside of the hoods. Have had this set up on lower range shimano levers. Just don't like them - personal preference. Added to which I hardly wish to be accused of being stuck in a Fausto Coppi Timewarp. :icon_mooning Will advise of final decision.

Davie, to put you out your misery I've opted for a Ribble Nero CS - full carbon job. Also managed to secure a set of Ksyrium SLs for an incredible price Oh ya dancer ! . Thank you to the very nice man at the Tri Store (other more local cycle retailers are available). Finishing bits and bobs to be finalised but unlike an MOD contract this will be brought in on time and under budget. Roll on the spring!!

Cheers

M

I find it hard to believe people are still rehashing these discussions. Billy, Martin - the only reason to buy anything Italian is because it looks good not because it works well. I know this as I have driven Alfa's for 20 years. Campag doesn't look good.

Shimano vs SRAM - less is more. Double tap is the greatest invention and the first genuine innovation since the deralleur. Never missed a change on Force in 3 years. ( don't mention the carbon jockey wheels Billy !)

• Committee

Mark, if you can find a few more hundred quid then maybe consider electric Ultegra? get the shop to at least price it for you.

The Dura-Ace is unbelievably slick and it looks as tho the U will also be faultless.

Depends a little on whether the Nero can take the cable routing but you would have a dream summer bike.

Looking forward to meeting the bad boy when built.

Alan

Mark

If you are thinking electronic you must consider campag record lighter longer charge water proof and 11 speed watch them follow again bit more expensive but what price do you put on class

Guys, again thanks for all the advice and comments. Opted for Ultegra 6700. The budget wouldn't stretch to electronic ultegra and Davie B would probably never speak to me again if i had gone down that route. Decided to stick to what I know and what my other bikes are/will be running (winter bike still in bits!!) for ease of interchangability, also the Sram gs was a compact set up and didn't have the cassette I was after either.

Everything else is pretty much in hand and there is the smell of smoldering plastic in the air!!!!! Oh ya dancer !

M