2011 Scottish Crit &Youth Road Race Championships

KennyS

Following the success of the 2009 and 2010 events at Erskine, Renfrewshire Council have confirmed their continued support of bike racing in Renfrewshire by hosting the 2011 Scottish Circuit and Youth Road Race Championships in Paisley Town Centre.

Promoted by Johnstone Wheelers Cycling Club, this year’s event will take place on Sunday 21st August.

A full shutdown of Paisley Town Centre for a full day of racing. The circuite will include Paisley Cross, St Mirren Brae, Causeyside Street, Orchard Street, Bridge Street, Cotton Street and Gauze Street. Skirting Dunn Square, the Town Hall and the historic Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire Council have given the riders and visitors the heart of the town to ourselves for the day.

Go-Race event Youth E

Go-Race event Youth D

Youth Road Race Championship Youth C

Youth Road Race Championship Youth A&B (incorporating WOSCA Youth Championship)

Ladies Grand Prix Regional C+ (incorporating WOSCA Ladies Championship)

Mens Grand Prix Regional C+ (4th Cat Jun, 4th Cat Sen, 4th Cat Vet)

Scottish Circuit Race Championship (incorporating WOSCA Junior, Senior and Vets Championship)

I appreciate that there is a closing date for entries to championships and that there is a tendency to hold off until then but I would hope that the majority of riders will take the opportunity to sign-up early and show their support for the event and Renfrewshire Council. Last year was a fraught time leading up to the event with very few entries two weeks out and a final surge following various phone calls and cajoling. Early entries would be very much appreciated !!!

Full details will be published over the next week, including the provision for online entry through EntryCentral

Kenny Steele

JWCC

Sounds fantastic Kenny. You have obviously got some 'dirt' on the council stashed away somewhere!

Just wondering if there is a womens champs / seperate race etc? Also wondering what the grand prix format will be and will it be possible timewise for competitors to ride both?

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

At present. Scottish Cycling does not differentiate between men and women. They put up 3 medals regardless of gender. So, if a woman were to enter the championship event and finished in the top 3 then she would get a championship medal. Likewise, vice-versa

Apart from the rule where you can't enter more than one event on the same day there is no reason why a female rider couldn't enter both as the Women's Grand Prix is open to all cats and provided she was a suitable Cat could also enter the Champs. I would need to check the applicable Categories for Women in the Champs and whether this constitutes two events

In practical terms riding two events would be a big ask in terms of stamina and recovery

Just to clarify, I have no 'dirt' on the council. Just enforcing my right yo the freedom of Paisley having followed the Saints for a lifetime :-)

Edited to add: you thing of making a comeback, Jim?

Ian,

That's the attitude we're looking for. There will be plenty to do on the day, as well as before, but we also want to ensure that the club has as large a representation on home Tarmac as possible.

We'll be holding a volunteers meeting soon. This will put a large load on the club in terms of organisation, marshalling and riding bikes but we have shown in recent years that, with the membership and support we have, we we can put on an event

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

HI Kenny,

Excellent news Kenny!! Should be a brilliant day, I'm in the middle of potentially moving shop at the moment, so I will as soon as possible about getting the day off!! Also how will it go for me riding this year, I only have a provisional licence? If I'm riding or not I'm happy to help throughout the day.

Greg

Online Entry now available via EntryCentral

https://www.entrycentral.com/index.php? ... aceID=null

Entries also being taken by post

Building on the 2009 event we had 200 or so riders at Erskine last year. Renfrewshire Council has pulled out the stops and opened up Paisley Town Centre for Crit racing for one day in August

You may have seen the Tour Series on ITV over the last few weeks. I may be biased but Paisley Town Centre rivals any one of the circuits I've seen so far.

Real town centre racing. Closed circuits. Barriers. Historic buildings. Gardens. River. Family Entertainment. Crowds (bring your own fan club as well). Youth Racing. Womens Racing. Mens Racing. Paisley's Happening. 21st August 2011

I would encourage everyone to enter as soon as possible to show their support for this event.

Closing date for all races is 7th August 2011 but please enter well in advance to show the Council the cycling community's commitment to Town Centre racing in Scotland

Further details at http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/ind ... Itemid=334

KennyS

• 1 month later...
  • Committee

Kenny

Many thanks to you and all those at the Council for organising this.

At least one youth entry from us and I will be there to help, final decision on whether I enter tonight!

Could you please let us know whether it will be do-able to both help and get a race? What is the earliest time you need help on the Sunday?

JWCC gets the red jersey this year.

Well done.

Alan