Sunday 6th June

Colin H

Anybody fancy a wee run this coming Sunday???

Clubhouse 0930

Erskine Bridge

Balloch

Glen Fruin

Roseneath Peninsula

Coulport

Glen Douglas

Luss (possible cafe stop)

Home

Just a coule of wee hills involved (oh yeah and a real leg burner up Glen Douglas :oops: )

Colin

• Administrators

Any chance you can do a map my ride or similar, tried to do it myself and go a bit lost after coulport?

This will be too far for me but would maybe be interested in 30-40 miles route from the far side of the bridge.

Jan,

Don't have the patience for Map My Ride :roll: . Once at Coulport the road takes 180 degree turn to the right onto unmarked road (new MOD road). Follow this until the LH turn that takes you alongside Loch Long. Turn right onto Glen Douglas Road (map shows a couple of hairpin bends just off the main Loch Road and follow back to Loch Lomond. Turn right to Luss and take the usual route home.

Paul,

Route will be approximately 95miles door to door from the clubrooms. Optional Cafe stop at around 50 miles but a long drag from Couplort follows and then the real leg breaker comes at around 57 miles over Glen Douglas (might not be a good idea with a full stomach :oops: ). Cafe stop at Luss comes at 65 miles and then easy ride home. All in all aproximately 3000ft of climbing. If the weather is good most parts of this ride (especially Glen Fruin, Roseneath Peninsula and Glen Douglas) are spectacular.

Colin Hello, beer !!

• Life Members

Hi all,

I would like to do the route, It's a cracker like Colin said with some spectacular scenery. However, I'm a bit push for time, so I'll cut short the route (sorry Colin) and go as far as Glen Fruin (with a bit of a climb) which I'll go over and drop back to Ballach and head home.

Just want to double check with you Colin, are you going through Helensborough to Glen Fruin? Because you put down Balloch, isn't this route the exact same one we did 2 years again, where we went trough Helensborough and had a cafe stop in Luss? Just want to make sure. :oops:

I'll probably meet everyone south side of the bridge (weather dependent of course) and do the shorter route, have to be back before 2pm.

Sorry Colin, didn't mean to hijack your post. :oops:

Cheers

Chung

Chung,

The route is similar to the one I think you are referring to (Donald Scally was along on the one I'am thinking about) but goes through Dumbarton to Alexandria - Balloch - Duck Bay - Glen Fruin. I intend to follow the Glen Fruin road right to the end (we cut across to the MOD Road last time). Then through Garelochhead and around the Roseneath Peninsula. Last time we did not do this and headed for Loch Long directly from Glen Fruin. Once at Loch Long its a direct replica.

As regards shortening the route you could stay with us right to the end of Glen Fruin and return either through Helensburgh/Cardross or climb up Sinclair Street and retrace from Duck Bay.

Happy Days.

Colin Hello, beer !!

• Life Members

Hi Colin,

Your account of the route (and your memory) is much more accurate than mine. You are right, we did went through Balloch. Sorry :oops:

Like yo said, we'll go as far as the Glen Fruin and drop back down to Helensborough and head home via that way.

Paul, your company is more than welcome!

Say, 10am at the South side of the bridge?

Cheers

Chung

Deinitely be out this Sunday - will head to the Bridge for 10:00 to shave a few miles off the route for me.

Probably see how I'm feeling after Glen Fruin and decide whether to head round the full route or not.

Weather forecast for Sunday looks pretty good at the mo - should be a cracking day in the saddle. Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great run guys. I really enjoyed it ...... at least I think that is how I remember it!!

Thanks to Colin and Richard for the babysitting and encouragement.

The monsoon en route from Luss to the Duck bay was something else!!

Tom

Great run today in weather that was far better than forecast Oh ya dancer !

Paul, DavieB, David T,Charlie and myself departed from the clubrooms at bang on 0930 and collected Cambell along the way in Houston. Whoever decided that it takes 30mins from the clubrooms to the Erskine Bridge must have set some pace as we certainally were not hanging about and still arrived at about 10.10 :oops: . We collected Chung, Tom and an other (sorry didn't get your name :roll: ) on the South side of the bridge and Big Al, Richard and Kev on the North side.

A good pace was set to the Arden Roundabout where most of the bunch got stuck due to volume of traffic :angryfire A small "smir" was experienced over Glen Fruin and after a regroup at the top a cautious descent followed.

The bunch split at the foot of the Glen leaving Big Al, Davie B, Tom, Charlie, Richard, Cambell and myself to continue around the peninsula. Cambell suggested a cafe stop at Kilcreggan which was recieved with great enthusiasm so decision was made to stop.

Leaving Cafe with full bellies we set a sensible pace up the hill from Coulport (where the sun came out and those dressed for the forecast started to suffer) and onto Glen Douglas. Probably the highlight of the route (at least for me) the climb affords the oppertunity to view those ahead directly above you and those behind directly below thanks to the mega steep switchbacks 8-)

A cautious descent back to Loch Lomond and a small stop in Luss for refreshments allowed those with time concerns to phone home with the news that we would be late :-?

Sensible pace set along the lochside (with a real drenching just before the back road to Helensburgh turn off :-x ) and with those living on the dark side of the bridge continuing on the rest of us returned to the light :-P

Almost bang on the 95miles I said it would be (my computer had it at 94.8) Oh ya dancer !

Hope all enjoyed the route and nobody got into too much trouble on their return home.

Colin Hello, beer !!

Even doing the 'short run' we had a good ride back. No Rain!!

After Erskine I was a lone rider back to the club but decided to give it some wellie down the Georgetown road (practise for Tuesday)!!

Looking forward to next one.

Paul C