Don Smith 2008

Kenny MacDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Assuming that the arcane machinations of British Cycling regulations allow my entry tfor the Humbie Sup6r 6 to be accepted

I will not be doing 30, 30 or 70 miles

I shall be wearing off a hangover of biblical proportions after suitable post race rehdyration celebrating a joansin success Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

success= all of us getting round in one piece

total success= nobody dropped

Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

Duncan

• 2023 Subscriptions

After a slow start registrations are looking up. Now at 57 entrants online Oh ya dancer ! , who's still to sign on?

I've been asked to point out that the 67 mile run is also open to those who want to travel at club run pace. We will organise a 'club run' gruppo at sign on to ensure that riders who want to enjoy the longer run as part of a steady group are able to do so.

So now you've no excuse, apart from the wean's birthday party, the holiday in the sun, sore legs from a wee hurl in East Lothian etc etc ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions
A huge vote of thanks to Martin for putting on a superb event Oh ya dancer !

and to all his helpers on the day .

It was much appreciated Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Easy to do when you're surrounded by clubmates. In the best spirit of the Oscars, I have to thank the team. In no particular order:

Dot Smith: for waving off Well, hallawrerr china! (and on Mother's Day too!)
    Scott and all at Scotlinds: for the fine soup and venue
    Jim Daly: for managing mission control while we went out on our bikes
    Kenny Steele and Bob Sharpe: mechanical backup out on the road
    Ian Simmet and Asima Akhtar: checking the route signs hadn't blown away overnight
    Greg Balden, Darryl McGunson, John Johnstone and Bill Thomson: running the sign on
    Ian Manson: looking after the cash, both on Paypal and today
    Iain Laing: for setting up and managing the online registrations
    Kenny Steel: for printing the route maps and frame tags (and his kids for cutting them up! ;-)
    Allan Miller: for all the support and mailings from the Braveheart site
    Ian Dooley and Steve Joughin: for bringing their travelling shops to Lochwinnoch
    Kenny Mac: for all his various inputs

and....

118 riders for being daft enough to pay at least £7.50 each for the privilege of riding their bikes in the rain, wind and sleet to raise a total of £1025.50 for two deserving causes. :grin::grin::grin:

PS, and thanks too, to all the others that my ageing brain has forgotten to mention.

See you all again next year: 1st Sunday in March, for the Don Smith 2009. ;-)

I was in the 70 mile 'gentlemens' group which left Lochwinnoch 5 minutes behind the FAST group. Martin obviously wasn't too worried about the two groups merging. :shock:

There were only 5 in our group, myself, James from Royal Albert, Ramsay and Mike from the Johnstone and one rider from the Ivy. The sun shone for the first couple of hours or so, till we got to Largs, then the rain took over.

We picked up Darryl and Black Bob, who 'elected to leave the fast group' near Gateside, then were just about to catch 4 from another dropped group, when one of them punctured and we lost the chance of a bunch of 12 against the wind. Black Bob dropped off the back without ceremony then there were 6, till we picked up another dropped rider, who split off up the Haily Brae at Largs, along with James and Darryl. Then there were 4.

The wind and rain made it hard, but the pace continued to be good, till we reached Port Glasgow, where we turned up the Clune. For those who don't know this hill, you don't want to. Mike and I went up at our own pace and Ramsay and the Ivy rider went on, never to be seen again. At the top, I thought we should turn left but Mike said straight on, which erroneusly took us up another monster of a hill on the way over the top of another Inverclyde mountain called the Whin, with the wind on the nose.

We turned left and were angled by a strong cross wind as we made our way over the undulations - ie, hills - on the 10 mile section back to Lochwinnoch. Our mileage was 2 or 4 more than is should have been, at just over 70, which we did in 4 hours 5 mins or so.

Then we found out that most of the riders cut the route short by going up the Haily Brae...

Well done to all the organisers and to everyone who contributed to the takings.

Roll on next year. Oh ya dancer !

Dennis

• Members

Anote from one of todays riders :-

I wanted to say a huge thank you to the guys and girls who allowed me to cycle as part of their pack on the 46 mile circuit today during the memorial event. I have little experience of group cycling and they helped me have an extremely enjoyable outing. While it was tough, and frequently confusing (!), I throughly enjoyed the experience. I was impressed by everyone's attitude and their kind and encouraging approach. Not once did I feel patronised and although there were a couple of times when I received a wee push this did not detract from the feeling of being a valid part of the whole group. I had to rush off at the end as my car was about to turn into a pumpkin (my morning's pass from the family was well past its return date!) so I did not have the chance to thank all of you in person. So, a big thank you for making my mother's day one I'll remember for ages! Fi Russell

thanks to all who helped make Fionas day memorable

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mike and I went up at our own pace and Ramsay and the Ivy rider went on, never to be seen again

Dennis/Mike - After stretching our legs up the Clune, myself and the Ivy rider turned left and over to Kilmacolm. We did slow at the top, but didn't see you, so with the wind/rain etc. we decided to push on. Lucky we didn't wait, as your extra climb up the Whin would have had us waiting a good while!

Great run though, despite the weather. Thanks to organisers etc..

Ramsay

Myself and riding buddy Karen G. watched in wonder as the fast group shot off like a possessed race bunch from the car park, dropping casualties from the word 'Go' (even in races there is a neutralise zone to allow riders to form a pack), heading straight through the red lights at the road works and then splitting all over the shop up through Beith.

It certainly seems as though most groups broke up and cut the route short, and one chap even told us he had been at the MAGNUM CENTRE in IRVINE (the mind boggles).

Having decided from early on to make our own way round, we did enjoy the ride making a few mistakes with the route, cursing the weather and generally wondering whether we were in fact the only nutcases who did the whole 67 miler. Glad to hear that some others did the whole distance, though like us, made some of it up.

The money raised is fantastic! Well done.

• 4 weeks later...