Plean 27th Nov 2016

Alan McLean

• Committee

Woohoo. Entries were limited due to parking and environmental stuff but I got a late entry cos I'm flying in by helicopter.

This is a woody course with first hurdles we have seen for months and a brilliant holeshot charge down a woodland track followed by 150 deg uphill turn. More singletracky than the recent big wide park/dune courses.

Last year was horizontal sleet and quite the most horrible conditions I have ever ridden in. I was in full winter roadie kit and still cold. Looking like the mud will have frozen and could be proper icy.

Hope to see some of you there. So far Duncan and I will be adding to JWCC awesomeness score. Who else in?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Aye rub it in.....the reality of hobbling about for the foreseeable is starting to kick in now.

Have bought 2016 non-thru axle x-night so at least may have a project to keep me busy as it is 60D variant so the FSA crapset and mechanical disks will need swapped out.

Wanted - Pit B***h (I know you would love standing around watching us all have fun ;)

• 2023 Subscriptions

top tip: at plean I tried cunning trick to free the mud by doing stylish bunny hop. It worked a treat.

All the mud shifted from the forks and immediately jammed the front brake, I went AoverT and ended up on my head, in the very soft mud.

the top tip is- don't do that, but I suspect everyone else knew that anyway.

Ah well, learn from your mistakes

• Committee

wot he said. we also need jwcc two stroke pressure washer and 20 gallon water drum. If it softens up then it could be total mud fest again.

It softened up enough to spray everyone with filth but not enough to badly affect control.

Cold but clear weather and we even had watery sun.

Parking restrictions meant that the fields were smaller which  elevated all of us a few places. Five wheelers in the V50s so we were about 10% of the race.

As expected there was a full-on 400m sprint to the first corner and I was nicely placed at the back of the lead chain of 5 or 6. Then we came upon the tail end of the women's race who had started a minute earlier. This was a shame because it messed up both races and the front guys got away as I tried to politely slalom at full gas round the (very fast) leading women who had their own race to run,  " It was a good course for drafting and annoying to see my free tow disappearing.

top few inches had softened but there was some hard, frozen ground underneath which caused some fun. Of course the leaders pulled away and then it was just a matter of holding position with the usual leg burny, sicky, muddy thing. Podioioio for me in third. Lots of stories from the others. Expensive sport, looks like Paul will need to work some overtime :icon_yes

• 2023 Subscriptions

Another day another dollar! Couple of firsts for me today, getting gridded :) and destroying a Expensive carbon wheel! First two laps were good and was keeping with the front group(getting gridded makes such a difference) as no traffic. I think I was about 8th place and was closing on a group of about 5 ahead, but had some contact with my front wheel going over the barriers with another rider. The noise was painful and for the next two laps my wheel feel apart, crunching Carbon, I should have pitted straight away but I was hoping it was just mud and the noise would go away, lost about 15 places as wheel was all over the place. It's amazing how long it takes to swap a wheel out when under pressure, once the new wheel was on I made some good ground catching some riders who were in my initial group, some great racing with lots of attacks, I finished 19 place which wasn't too bad considering. Great to see Martin, Duncan, James, Mike, Jamie and Alan(The Cross God) getting muddy and racing hard.

Anyone want to buy a Carbon wheel? only used 3 times  :icon_butting_comp

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry to hear that Paul, but a bit of tape or a Belgian flag sticker will sort that Paul, surely.

Didn't enjoy today's course so much. Lots of hard core paths, tarmac and a long brae which just gives all the fit guys a big advantage ;-p

Smallest field of the season gave me my highest placing to date (ok, it was second last too).

James disappeared up the road from the start. Duncan and Mike passed me on the 1st hill while chatting to each other. managed to spot Dunc from time to time since I kept my bike upright. McLean lapped me, but only once.

Finished only 1.17 behind Duncan - closest finish yet, sure that's not why he's withdrawn from the champs next week though...

• 2023 Subscriptions

Very well done chaps especially the pretty podium boy. Alan, you need to seriously focus on achieving DA immortality next year, you'll smash it.

And Paul, sorry there are no words to console you for your equipment mashing season to date. Except check eBay every day.

:)