Knockburn Loch - 23rd October

DavieB

My guess is dying.... icon_rolling_smile

Hope to see you there.

BTW cheers for the Bike Channel tip for Super Prestige series. Strangely I still prefer the Belgian (Flemish?) commentary...sage pronouncements along the lines of aye..ye aye, ye aye..YE AYE! seem somehow fitting at the right moments.

.....some final lap today!

Enjoy your hols.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Packing the car at 5.30 am drive 140 miles to race for 60mins never seems like a good idea at 5.30am especially when there is  a Drum Up today and talk of cakes, crepes and hip flasks keeps me company for the 3 hour drive. I arrive just in time to see some Jets racing and catch the start u14/16 race with a 12 year old Ruairi Mullholland racing(brave lad). Martin Mullholland was up next and we caught a few glimpses of him tackling the uphill Sand pit before myself and Davie B went to warm up. 

The course was excellent with some tricky of cambers, gravel climbs and lots of mud(not as thick as we like) oh and as mentioned an uphill Sand pit. Davie B got grided but it didn't help him much due to a steep off camber turn after start sprint, a few riders went down but we managed to miss them(not by much) then Into a forest with mud and roots and I make up a few places, it gets tight in the forest(due to trees) and it started to string out.

The guy in front off me was all over the shop, and I tried to pass a few times but he nearly took me out, I should have waited for a straight section but decided to take him wide near the barrier as I had a decent line, but we came shoulder to shoulder, in theory he could have just held his line and we would have both rolled around the corner and he would still have been in front, but for some reason he drove me and "himself" straight through the barrier. I'm not sure if he was defending his position or was just a lunatic. Anyway I called him few names and we went to ride off, he rode off I didnt! chain jammed in frame... can't get it out... seriously 5.30am 140miles 30seconds of racing...

Everyone passing me(even get a few sympathetic looks) some more swear words from me as the very last rider passes, a couple of tugs on chain and no give, all I can think of is Crepes, Sausages and Hip Flasks, should have went to the Drum Up. The last straw, covered in oil and ready to head for pits I gently ;) place my bike on ground and the chain just comes loose. I quickly but it put it back on and start riding.

From here I think I probably rode the best CX race I have ever ridden... 40 mins later I made up almost 40 places, my lungs are bursting but I finished, never did see Davie B again until race was over, well done again!

So another day in Scottish Cyclocross... Hope you enjoyed your Sausages(fecks)

Nae luck again Paul.

At every race you see some choice riding and you do need a fair bit of luck sometime to get round. Anyways I lived to see the day my name was called up for the grid, it was the last name called but hey ho! That said, last row of the grid was no use and it was the usual stramash of riders some of whom would be better off staying back a wee bit and riding a solid race of their own rather than going Banzai at the start and messing up the races of us gridded elites   icon_rolling_smile

Needless to say a Kamikaze move at the the off camber 1st corner caused a crash with me caught behind it, made up most of the places in the 1st lap and consolidated a position in a good wee battle amongst 5 riders. Rode sand first 3 laps but then missed rut and came off 4th time round, rider behind had to dismount and doing so ran his bike over my carbon rims (oops) no time to check if they were cracked or not but was a bit wary of them for half a lap so lost a wee bit of ground, which I managed to make up and then lose again on the group in front. Entering last lap, I decided to consolidate position as I was never going to catch group up front and had miles on the guy behind me and guess what - every technical section fluffed, and an off through (easily) rideable mud and got passed!

Even though it was a decent result for me I was actually fumigating as I crossed the line as my last lap was a bomb scare - about 40 seconds off my average - and lost an easily defendable position.

Any way it was a cracking course, though the fact that you don't have time to practice is a bit crap as 3 laps in I was still finding my preferred lines.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Martin Mullholland was up next and we caught a few glimpses of him tackling the uphill Sand pit before myself and Davie B went to warm up. 

But you never saw me trying to ride it though ;-) 

Lacking speed or strength (or skill?) I dismounted and ran up the sand pit each lap. Quicker than falling off half way up. Still screwed it up on the final lap when I fluffed unclipping my standing foot and came to grief. Cue mirth from Lewis, Danny and other assorted spectators.

Only hit the deck twice yesterday, the first time was a softer landing. I gave way to a lapping rider into the mud section and he promptly came off in front of me blocking the track. 

Actually felt good in the technical sections but lost huge time in the flat and uphill sections. Back to Billy's turbo sessions for me.