Sat July 16th

P McDonald

Headwinds, tail winds, cross winds, Alan's bad wind in the café and echelon perfection.

5 premier elite athletes (Paul, Jan Alan and Andy) met in Howwood for a "Social" run. After a steady climb up the Bowfield Paul informed us into the real agenda for the run. A single pace line was formed and a Double Arran dry run was on the cards!

Big crosswinds forced us into an Echelon (one that team sky would be proud of!) Some miles down the road Andy started to rant like a Director Sportif about placement in the echelon. He was duly reminded of this every time he was an inch out of line!

Flying down to Muirkirk with Paul having a go at every Strava segment there was and into the Café. Someone asked for poached eggs and the reply came back "Fried!". After some food the lady kindly gave us a slice of tiramisu each, it was a lovely gesture but no one was sure how long it had been sitting?!?!?

Out of the Café we climbed and then through and offed it to Howwod, where we split. Myself and Dr Mclean went back to Kilmacolm where I got some supplies then back to Houston.

Now Jan has mentioned 30's. (I hope Paul hasn't wrote his report while I type this!) I won a lot of early sprints and then Paul went all Sagan and started eating them all up. Fortunately I had enough points in the bag to take the green jersey by a mere 1 point! Paul actually had time on two of the sprints to hold his bike aloft and walk over the line which he duly got deducted 10 points for each!

Great day out lots of banter and I had a wee cry in the bath when I climbed off the bike!

100 miles, 18.4 avg speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/642660601

post-4066-0-31657100-1468680125_thumb.jpeg

post-4066-0-44241800-1468680153_thumb.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Another brilliant ride down Muirkirk way, another brilliant cafe stop.

A hard working bunch, a lot of fun and banter. Jesus used his divine position to create a moving goalpost points system that I can only describe as self interest. I think the gist of it was the more sprints you won the more points were deducted.

Well there is some consolation on the bragging rights front that Jesus can be happy with. I only did 87 miles. At 18.8mph though on Strava :) Or 19.1mph on my 1990's actual average computer which is the one that matters for DA.

Jan put in some real powerful moves for 30's, Alan was a stalwart pacer and seemed pretty comfortable throughout, Andy seems to have done a ridiculous amount of miles and even took an extended detour home. Insane or what. And Jesus should maybe say some prayers for himself given his 30's performance. We also met Gregg OMalley in the middle of nowhere near Dungavel centre. Strange old world !

Conclusion. DA will be very hard. But possible. 56+50 definetly possible with that team.