The Valentine's Day Mas-cx-acre

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions

Registration open for this yesterday, It will go fast I'm sure! I plan to ride. who's in?

Paul

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/140423/The-Valentine's-Day-Mas-cx-acre#yWzYJ3MGSWG9sfLq.99

The Valentine's Day Mas-cx-acre

Event Overview

Dunfermline Cycling Club are delighted to host a Cyclocross event for all ages on Valentine’s Day 2016.  What could be better than taking the bike you love for a cross race on Valentine’s Day ?.

The event will be staged on a mixture of surfaces around the undulating grounds of Fife College, Pittsburgh Road, Dunfermline. KY11 8DY and will be suitable for old hands and newbies.

Dunfermline CC are very grateful to Sandy Wallace Cycles for supporting this event.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Committee

Excellent course and organisation. Grass, mud, singletrack, bombholes and tarmac. Bluebird skies. Frozen ground gave way to thick mud later but most of it was rideable.

Jess Millar won Junior Women and I got a  2nd in v50s. For the nth time this season I was lapped just yards from the finish line and missed a final lap. Davie was in the heat ahead of me so it was hard to compare placings but I think he put a big chunk of time into me. Awaiting lap splits for gloat/despondency.

Excellent course and organisation. Grass, mud, singletrack, bombholes and tarmac. Bluebird skies. Frozen ground gave way to thick mud later but most of it was rideable.

Jess Millar won Junior Women and I got a  2nd in v50s. For the nth time this season I was lapped just yards from the finish line and missed a final lap. Davie was in the heat ahead of me so it was hard to compare placings but I think he put a big chunk of time into me. Awaiting lap splits for gloat/despondency.

Great day and as Alan says really interesting course. Taking a hint from Gary McDonald who passed me on foot I started running quite large sections of the course in the last 3 laps - he runs faster than me though! 

Alan as for time differences I have a mylaps account and I think over the 7 laps we raced together I only put about 20 seconds into you, we were pretty level pegging throughout. Well done on your in category podium.

I got another good start and was probably top 4 into the 1st corner off the V40's grid, after a couple of offs and an hours worth of shredded legs eventually finished 21st. 

Volgas.

Davie

• Committee

Davie, you were 13th in your massive field, much better than 21st overall. The large field with staggered starts but one first finisher creates some anomalies.

Although I was gridded and was 3rd into the first corner I was almost immediately held up by the tail enders of  your heat and had to freewheel for several sections behind ponderous V40s on the singletrack. Nice rest but I lost a lot of time.  You were doubtless caught the same way despite being gridded too.

I had a little left in the tank for an expected final lap when I was lapped by the leader only 200m from the line and had to finish. Of course he was awesome fast and in a different universe skill and speed wise but he started a minute or two ahead of me and I lost any chance to pick up one or two more overall places on a last lap (or I could have wiped out or bust my RD!) I should start a FB group with the faster women who were even more disadvantaged and had to work past loads of slower, older guys (like me).

The only solution is for me to organise a race and grid everyone regardless of age or ability according to the last 5 years' results but I suspect this is not going to happen so I will have to just sit in my dungeon seething at the injustice, analysing lap data and composing boring posts on the Bunch.

Anyone not yet bored reading this should have a chat with me and Davie about clutch derailleurs; work of the devil or paradigm shift? (see what I did there?)