Guest EPCC

Alan

Some modern ideas on tapering your rest day should be two days before the event the day before you do a very short session at the same intensity as your event

Note short 40 minutes including warm up cool down , if you are tapering when you start your taper you reduce volume very quickly , but keep the same intensity , so don't listen to the racing boys as it may be what they think works but it's not what actually works

Billy Mac British Cycling Level 3 Road and Time Trial Performance Coach

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fignon and Kelly era used to got out for a 7 hour total exhaustion ride 3 days before key event. Idea being your body is in shock mode and still in over compensation period and doing the fight instinct thing when you do the actual target race.

The closest personal experience I have was double Arran after which I was unable to ride very hard out the saddle due to over straining a muscle and the LBL after which I had about 3 weeks of exhaustion and was way below normal capability. So maybe this theory just applies to pro's :)