A Wee Run Oot Afore Ra Mora 30 May

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Good result for Alan with 7th.

As for me a frustrating afternoon. Found it difficult to move up because the whole lane was pretty much shoulder to shoulder (the race had been stopped after a lap to warn us not to cross over the line or risk DQ - most people then respected this a handful didnt), would gradually work through gaps and move up a bit only to drift backwards again. I wasnt too worried about this for the first few laps as it meant i was in the middle and feeling pretty comfortable (it felt like club run pace at times) although coming up to the last lap i knew i had to get forward so took a gamble and went up the inside in the gutter, made it towards the front...but doing so meant i got a puncture, race was over and a walk back to HQ in my socks!

• 2023 Subscriptions

So well done today guys and now we have both Alan and Iain knocking on the door of 3rd cat. Post race thought from me would be Colin has sold himself short as he would not have been in any different position had he completed the first lap. If there is a learning point it is bike maintenance but that is a bit harsh as mechanicals can happen at any random time ( the mechanical was a slipping front mech on the seat tube ). Iain was looking comfortable when I spoke to him just before final lap when I was saying we should take part in chasing down any attacks in the last 5 miles. Must have been a jinx as he punctured within the next minute! Anyway bad luck but all positive as looking strong. Alan's performance speaks for itself and with Alan being Alan he is frustrated it wasn't a higher placing. That day will come on current form. For me I was happy to be able to make a small contribution to the team effort which was more an experience contribution than a physical contribution. I knew with the wind conditions you had to be near front for final roundabout with about 600m to go so I made it my business to bump, barge and hustle me and Alan into the top 10 for the turn. After the roundabout I lasted only a few hundred metres then could not hold the first 10 position. Alan did exactly the right thing and moved past me when the surge came, I've always had him marked as a natural who just knows the right time to make an effort. I only wish I could have led him to the final 200m but c'est la vie you can only do what you can do.

Bring it on

:)