What do I do on raceday??

Ian Porteous

A few (stupid) questions from a first time racer...

Is anybody planning on riding over to fenwick?

If driving, are you wearing your race kit there or do you get changed into/out of gear there?

Is anyone planning on hanging around after race 1 to watch race 2?

If so will there be food & drink available?

I'm sure I'll think of some more later... I'm a worrier :)

Both of you will need a good warm up at least 40/ 60 minutes it would be good to see the course before you race so either ride it or drive round

Re food there is a sandwich and tea after the race

• 2023 Subscriptions

Glad to see my germs have spread.

Providing my cold has lifted I'll be riding on Sunday. Had hoped to recon the course but looks unlikely now so will drive on Sunday & do a lap to warm up.

Had a look at the route map on today's email from the organiser & it looks different to the normal route up clunch road but I could be wrong.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian

The HQ is a church hall type place where you can get changed. It's not formal changing rooms with showers. Most people go in car to races but I would normally ride to this were it not for the fact my race is at 4.15pm. There is muchos grub available back at the HQ. If a short drive I normally go in kit if longer then just get changed at HQ. Sign on opens 1 hour before race and you must have signed on with 30 mins to go. Make sure you ride for at least 20 mins beforehand spinning out the legs.

Hope that helps

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian

If dry will cycle over. If wet will drive & can pick u up. If latter want to get there early for a good warm up as takes my lungs an age to warm.Can talk u thru course. Brief summary is starts downhill and fast then becomes lumpy with a few trying climbs. You and Alex will have no problems. Spent last sat following George's rear so hopefully he will carry me round.

Do u want to pick up top before sun.

I quite fancy cycling to this (at an easy pace) to get there for 12-1230. Anyone else up for that?

I was also thinking of cycling out that way to check out the route on Saturday. Flexible on time if anyone fancies a few easy miles on Saturday.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian

I'd echo Paul and Charlie's comments. The route down A77 is fast. There's a sharpish left into a smaller road. People are positioning for the next left turn which is the dams climb. The first half of climb you can comfortably sit in big ring. Then there's a slight drop off before the angle increases and into wee ring. At the top its fast and furious down the Stewarton road. The left turn onto clunch is sharp and a bit gravelly. It climbs in a series of steps and just as the road starts getting rougher attacks tend to kick in here. Slight slope downwards to another sharp left turn into A77. Dams and Clunch are selection points. Also on the left turn into A77 look for attacks especially if headwinds or crosswinds.

Andy

Race 1 is 2:30 - me, Alex and Paul leavy in group 1: Charlie, Colin ad George in group 2, and Greg Henderson (i thought he was a pro for lotto soudal) in group 3

Race 2 is at 4:15 - Alan Mcbride and andy in group 1, Paul McD in group 2.

I have a feeling it's two laps but not entirely sure.

Sorry forgot to say Charlie, I'll most likely see you on sat so I could pick up jersey then.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm looking dubious for Sunday, Race license sent December and I never received it, replacement requested and sent last week... Still I haven't received it. Not sure what's going on? hopefully It arrives today or tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, I was looking forward to getting spanked on Sunday