London 100/86

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well the jwcc team safely negotiated the Pru sportive. Weather a bit inclement so leith and box hill taken out hence the 86

We went round at a brisk pace. I carried Yuille round for 70 miles then I had a puncture. Piity as in a good bunch at the time but once mended had a very wet last 16 miles.

Quite cool cycling thru London and finishing on the Mall

• 2023 Subscriptions

Started off well feeling good and flying along, then dropped a banana which i managed to get caught in cassette and chain. Fortunately no damage just mush. It wasnt long though until the next group came by and this one had Charlie and Al in it and went along at a cracking pace. When the group split into two going into a headwind i was on the wrong side and had to chase back on which took a while shortly after that i am trying to recover and get a puncture. Fix it but before i get going again a group led by Marianne Vos went sailing past, i tried hard to get on that one but it wasnt to be! From then on was just in a small group to the finish, for a 20 minute period it was the heaviest rain ive cycled in. When it came to the finish i did my usual and led the sprint out far too early, i didnt just fade badly i cramped up with 50 metres to go and had to freewheel in :D

Unfortunately the weather meant the two major hills were out but still a good day out and in some respects the really heavy rain (not the normal rain but the really heavy stuff) was almost sort of enjoyable! At least as long as i dont need to 'enjoy' cycling that sort of rain again.

I crossed the line 11 mins in front of Charlie. Would have been more but I waited for him and Iain at the top of the only remaining significant climb ! McCusker insists he punctured but he finished with a tube in his pocket and no punctured one - the prosecution rests.

Great day out despite the rain. Very fast pace all the way but was sitting in a nice little group who were working well - Charlie and Iain were also in the group - until they weren't !

The pace was starting to flag a bit in the last10 miles so I had a couple of good pulls on the front including the last rise before the river and a great stretch at 25 plus along the river towards Westminster. The Big Ben bongs were striking 10 as we passed before the turn into the Mall. over the line in 3.47 where I waited in the torrential downpour till Charlie ambled in. As I was waiting I saw Voss finish in her world champ jersey before disappearing into the Media tent - yes she finished after me !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yuille

Typical

I do my domestique duties for 70 miles and not one word of thanks for letting you suck my wheel and giving you my last gel just before you were about to bonk . If Iain's go pro worked should show me pulling u round . Had it not been for my enforced stop u would have experienced another battle of stewarton

Billy thanks to tom's legendary navigational skills we managed to do the ton as what was an 8 mile trip to start turned into an 18 miler and tom had no less than 2 sat navs in operation one of which took us back to the house we had just left and I will leave it to tom to explain how it took us 2 hours to get out of London today

Despite not getting to do full course was great fun and certainly one to put on your must do list.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Video quality isnt great for alot of the ride due to water on the lens obscuring things. The later videos turned out ok presumably because there was so much rain it was constantly running off rather than sitting in droplets

here is the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KrrNoX5GQ

• 2023 Subscriptions

Typically the case for the defense has several errors.

The 8 miles were to the O2 arena. After that we had to cross the Thames (not to be as easy as we had expected) then head for Olympic Park, a further 4 miles. We then rode to the opposite corner of the Olympic Park, adding several more miles.

Heading up the main dual carriageway to Blackwall tunnel with two lights to share between us was not a good idea and somewhat alarming. Mind you the Garmin 800 is very slow to update and is not very good for using as sat nav.  Unless, that is, you are trundling along and do not have a committee of three second guessing it all the time. Yes, a recipe for disaster, your honour. 

Nevertheless, in the inclement conditions, I sheltered McCuker and Yuille all the way to the start so that they would be fresh for the day's challenge, with ample time to waste before the start of the ride.

As mentioned above we set off at a cracking pace. The garmin gives me an average speed of 23mph for the first 30 miles.

It was higher but as we entered Richmond Park I took out a gel and dropped back a few riders from Al and Charlie. This was just before the first right hand turn where the guys in front, over cooked it and we ground to a halt. One foot on the ground I saw Charlie and Al disappear into the distance. I remember thinking on several occasions that I really should be in some sort of amphibious craft and undoubtedly I would be faster with a paddle. Perhaps I was hallucinating, but I am sure Moses made a cameo appearance near the diversion away from Leith Hill.

Despite going through the inevitable bad patch for about ten miles or so, speed was high and the only major incident was at a sharp left turn at the bottom of a hill just after the 75 mile marker. As we turned the previous corner and descended towards the next, we could see bodies everywhere lying in 5-6 inches of water. Braking heavily (should read frantically as carbon wheels and deluge is not a good combination!!) It seemed like an eternity waiting to get through the carnage but it was probably only a few minutes. There didn't appear to be any major injuries.

Riding along the Thames and passing the Houses of Parliament before heading for the Palace was a memorable experience, brilliant! I was in a little group of six at that point and won the sprint for the line. :icon_yes

I have to say that even though the weather was awful the people of London and Surrey were out in force and offered great encouragement.

The Garmin gives me 4h24m and an average speed a shade over 20mph which, for me, is considerably faster than any other ride over this distance.

You may well think that cycling in Biblical storms is insane and it probably is, but I enjoyed the whole thing.  Perhaps a bit like Paris-Roubaix though; not to be repeated!!

Finally two hours to get out of London; I blame the co-pilot. Which one? the App or McCusker, is for the jury to decide. 

I rest my case.

Tom