Chain gang Thursday 3rd April 6pm

charlie p

• 2023 Subscriptions

hurrah summer nearly here so must mean a stretch of the legs on a Thursday evening commencing 3 April. As usual we will start at 6 pm for first couple of weeks till gets lighter when we will depart at 6.30 pm.

Meet at bus stop on Georgetown road for sharp departure. usual rules so if you suffer a mechanical or are dropped better luck next time.

Post if you are coming

Yip from me. Looking forward to getting the Thursday evenings in this year.

Silly question but humour me. Any chance of the group being a little sensible and work as a group at least until beyond Langbank rather than disintegrating into eyeballs out as soon as it hits the westferry. Not saying we dont work but new guys to the thursday night chaingang need a chance to find their feet a little bit each week. Wouldn't be a bad thing for everyone to refresh chain gang riding after the winter lay off. If not, then fine merely asking the question.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think some tight and disciplined riding is a great idea, eyeballs out is also a great idea. From the top of the clune? Usual protocol, wait for us non-mountain-goat types, then eyeballs out?

Iain, around 30 miles? There or there abouts, to begin with reasonable pace, then as summer comes in, hard and fast!

Greg

Iain,

25 - 30 miles. Steady roll from the start along the Georgetown, through Bishy and on to the westferry. According to Charlie's planning its eyeballs out for 5 miles - ust hang on. Then we all slow down to a crawl for the hard bit up the clune brae before a wee rest while the non climbers haul their lardy bits to the top. After all that, more eyeballs out through Kilmacolm and onto BofW where its kind of every man for himself hanging onto the fastest wheel before Charlie appears out of no where from the back of the bunch to take the sprint at the Inchinnan end of the Georgetown - usual to the disgust of MacBagel who has burned his ageing carcass's matches half a mile earlier. Did I miss anything????? :icon_mooning

I would suggest that riders should have some reasonable bunch riding skills if taking part and newbies to the chaingang sit in as best you can initially to observe how things work. This is an excellent way to spend an early Thursday evening.

Iain

Pace is steady through Bishopton it ramps up a bit on the Westferry through to the first roundabout it stays at that until the run down to the port where it goes hard

Most sensible riders who do extra turns on the front take the clune easy we re group at the top

The run to Kilmalcolm is downhill and fairly fast you don't see Charlie on the front from here to the Georgetown

The left turn at BOW is where the last few matches are burned and it's hang on till the end on Georgetown

Shortcut at wood side if to hard its worth trying stick on a wheel and u will be ok drop the wheel then it's very hard

• 2023 Subscriptions

There is a shortcut (which i reluctantly volunteer to show anyone out for the first time :D ) to avoid the full Clune. It is still a tough climb but gives a little extra time to make it to the top for the regrouping at the top of the hill if you find yourself getting dropped or struggling along the west ferry.

One thing id add is that if you find yourself getting dropped then dont get too disheartened - most of us have been there at one point or another. Keep at it though and you will notice the improvements made on a weekly basis.

• Members

Cheers guys much appreciated, hoping I can hang on for as long as possible as I need the miles and fitness. Mark, I'll be one hauling lardy bits to the top!

Unsure if anyone interested, wiggle are doing Hi 5 energy gels, pack of 20, buy 1 get 1 free £20 inc'l delivery.

• Committee

Charlie, thanks for posting route change. Bit more difficult for me to time my ambush from Renfrew. Any chance you guys could turn right at Ingliston then left to new roundabout on Bishy hill?

It would make it easier for me to cycle towards you for that critical five minute "have I missed the bunch" window. I am asking out of pure indolence. Hope you can indulge me and apologies if I get caught at work and can't make it.