2014 (spring/summer) Kit Order

Mark O

Sorry didn't make it last night Mark. Well done for organising got stuck on traffic en route and ended up having to turn back! Will try to make it to club rooms Saturday for 10 but won't have too long unfortunately as on duty but would be interested in size. Don't mind paying a bit more for quality and would part with the cash for a good quality short sleeved skin suit

Richard,

Excellent feedback, exactly what I'm looking for.

I will take all queries and comments back to Pactimo for full answers and post these up in the coming weeks, so please fire them in as this is the point of the exercise - it's your money and your kit, and ultimately a final decision will be taken reflecting your collective thoughts and opinions.

A little clarification, as far as I have been advised (THIS IS STILL TO BE CONFIRMED) the minimum of 5 items appears to be linked to the initial order. Callan was a bit hazy on minimum numbers on reorders via the team store.

I found the fit of the items I tried on to be very good and, like Richard, am of the view that the continental range is on a par quality wise with what we currently have - perhaps marginally better material - and with the undoubtedly better fit makes this range slightly superior to Endura's offerings. The mid range is a notable step up in quality and finish, with the close fitting of garments retained. The summit (Pro) range is exceedingly good albeit not cheap. But given how much time I spend on the bike I'd pay extra for the comfort and quality on offer.

Keep the comments and questions coming.

Cheers

Mark

• Life Members

Hi All,

I would like to echo Richard's comments regarding the quality of the Pactimo Kits.

Personally I'm happy with even the base "Continental" range, but the "Ascent" (2nd tier) have better material & finishing details (such as silicon grippers) which I'm more than happy to pay the extra for.

I have to make a special recommendation on their gilet (vest), which is a proper gilet with windproof front panels, reversible zip & 3 REAR POCKETS ...... all great features in my mind when compare to what we had before. However, it's quite pricey at £64 + VAT, but its one piece of kit I would definitely buy if we go down the Pactimo route.

In terms of stuff we want that does not make up the required 5 items, Carl (the chap from Siempre) said they might do it if its not the usual i.e skin suits, Knickers etc. But he'll have to enquire about that, its a possibility I guess.

For those that did not make it last night, I'm sure you can pop into Siempre to try these kit on for size should we be using Pactimo as our kit supplier in future.

To sum up, I'm really happy with what I saw & would highly consider Pactimo!

P.S Thanks to Mark for the organization.

Cheers

Chung

Didn't make it last night due to windmageddon and anticipated travel chaos.

Good comments above re. price and quality and re-assuring that there appears to be substance to go along with the "style" - a review of the Pactimo website left me slightly concerned with regards to this! That said still have doubts with regards to how much "quality" you can actually build into garments made of synthetic materials to a relatively common pattern but hey-ho such is modern life.

Am I right in thinking that the Pactimo gear is stocked, and therefore availiable for review, at the Cafe on a permanent basis?

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark, for organising the night. Have to agree with previous posts that the quality is excellent but a bit more pricey. I tried on the mid range ( I think) ladies bib shorts and found them comfortable and flattering with plenty of padding. The sizing I would say was comparable with Endura and not small made like some Italian stuff. Dave tried on a gilet and agrees with Chung that it looked and felt an excellent garment and wants one. Carol and Dave

Hi.

Great work so far.

I take it that this is a new supplier but same kit design?

I'm interested in the gilet. Can someone tell me if the one they looked at was this one?

http://www.pactimo.com/cycling/cycling-styles/outerwear/?product_id=605

It appears to be the only one with 3 pockets.

Did anyone look at this gilet?

http://www.pactimo.com/cycling/cycling-styles/outerwear/?product_id=209

And how does the size compare to the Endura gilet?

Thanks

• Life Members

Ritchie,

The one I tried on I am pretty sure is the Breckenridge WX-D Vest, which is the Siempre Cafe cycling kit.

As for sizing, you can always pop into Siempre to try them on yourself. That's the advantage of it! There's no need to second guess.

In terms of the JWCC kit design, it's still an on going process. At the moment, there's still a few possibility in getting a new design done but nothing is firmed yet. But we'll endeavor to keep everyone posted as to any developement on that front.

So, keep watching the bunch forum for any updates!

Hope to see you on Sunday, Ritchie!

Cheers

Chung

Tried on medium mid range shorts, short sleeve top and gilet. All good fit.

Particularly liked the fit around the sleeves - longer than current Endura.

Would stick with mid range shorts for the quality of the padding and stitching over the lower range.

Also, the gilet is far superior than current Endura with added bonus of rear pockets and superior quality.

Shorts and short sleeve top for me if this is the way we go...and gilet as soon as I can after consultation with my financial adviser....

• 2023 Subscriptions

Afternoon All,

The fit kit has now arrived from Owayo. It is a mixed collection, shorts, jerseys, jackets and skinsuits and probably sufficient to meet our needs in terms of sizing. The material appears to be the same across most of what I've been sent through. I, however, have fabric sample panels for your perusal.

We have this box of goodies for 10 days before I'm required to return it to Owayo. So to allow people to come have a look and try on I will be at the clubrooms on Saturday morning 10 -12 noon, and on Tuesday evening from around 6.30 pm onwards til 9. This ties in nicely with the times when we'll be working on the clubrooms so you can have a go at that too.

For those who can't make these times I will do my best to accommodate you, but I have a life too. PM me if you need preferential treatment. If you wish to try on the available shorts/skinsuits it may be an idea to wear a pair of cycling shorts to the clubrooms or bring some with you.......just saying like.

As with the Pactimo evening on Thursday, please post up your comments on this brand of clothing. This is your club kit and I'm determined to secure club kit which best meets the needs of as many of you as possible when recommending a suppier to the committee.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Since you have seen and presumably tried on both sets of kit, do you have a preference and is there is significant difference in terms of price and range of items available from Owayo compared to Pactimo?

I have seen and tried on neither so far.

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan et al,

I'm putting the cart before the horse slightly here as I was attempting to keep my considered thoughts to myself until reporting to the committee and only supply people with info rather than my opinion, but as you have asked and a daresay others might be asking the same question, my comments and opinions, as far as I have formed them, are as follows.

In terms of quality and fit, Pactimo are streets ahead. Their Continental (base) ranges is on a par, if not slightly better on both counts, with Endura's offerings over the last few years and, based on what I have been sent by Owayo, the Owayo kit too. Owayo offers only one standard range of garments. Comparing my Italy trip jerseys by Owayo to my Endura jersey I prefer the the Owayo garments. Owayo in my view is better quality kit than that offered to the club by Endura

Pactimo's Ascent (mid) range is notably better quality and retains the close fit most of us seek. The cut and finishing is better than the Continental range and thus Endura and Owayo garments. The summit (pro) range is a step up again and is the best kit I have seen on the market. Lovely material, well finished with attention to detail, good quality pads - it just ticks all the boxes. I don't wear Assos kit but I'd make a direct comparison between Assos kit and the Summit range. Those who wear Assos might care to say differently or confirm my train of thought.

With regards price, my very general comments are these. Owayo are competitive. Their prices are quoted in euros but compare well as far as I can tell thus far with Endura in previous years, and as with most suppliers the price drops the more you buy. Endura, I have assumed will be similar to last year. Pactimo are more expensive; probably only marginally so for the basic range, more so for the mid range and the pro range is pricey, but that is to be expected. I'll sit down and draw up a table making ready direct comparisons and post it up.

Delivery times for Endura have been nothing short of laughable. Had I been doing business with them I would have walked away from them after year 1, with no hesitation. Owayo promise to deliver in 5 weeks from order placement - they are a German company, it'll be 5 weeks. Owayo did our Italy jerseys and these were delivered on time, so have a track record with us. Pactimo pride themselves on having a maximum 5 week delivery period and claim never to have missed it, always being well within that timescale.

Personally, I'm impressed with the Pactimo product. I am in the camp of I don't mind paying extra for quality, given the amount of use I'd get out of the kit. That said I realise that not everyone wants to or can justify spending a lot of cash on cycling kit. To a degree Pactimo with the 3 ranges on offer do, in theory, allow the club to offer members various options as to cost. I get the distinct impression they are very customer focussed in their approach to business.

My personal view of Endura is that they are ripping the club off. I like and still do buy their off the peg kit - baselayers, socks, gloves etc. I find their retail kit of good quality, reasonable value for money and a decent fit. This is in complete contrast to the club kit I have purchased in the last 2/3 years. I am not jaundice towards Endura per se but what they have offered the club in my experience is sub standard.

I hope this together with what others have said helps a little. There is a box of Owayo kit at the club rooms for trying on tomorrow (Tuesday) evening.

M

Mark,

Thanks for this - one final question based on something which I'm sure has been inferred in previous discussions.

Is the service offered by Pactimo / Owayo such that once the initial bulk order is commisioned and completed, it then allows club members to independently order individual items of club kit on an ad-hoc basis?

If so, it would be a mighty leap forward in terms of allowing people to satisfy their needs and also remove a burden from the organising committee members.

Cheers,

D

Davie, in theory yes in respect of Pactimo. Not as far as I can discern in regards Owayo.

A team shop would be set up under the control of the club, insofar as the club would decide when the team shop would be open and for what period of time. Individuals would purchase directly and not via the club as such. I am still seeking clarification on the precise details of minimum order size and or minimum garment quantities per order from Pactimo. This is one of the attractions of Pactimo, notwithstanding the kit itself.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Having seen both sets of kit now, the Pactimo stuff is far higher quality than our current kit and the owayu stuff. It just seems to be better made, better quality zippers, stitching and cut.

My view is that I don't mind paying more if the quality is better.

I also like the idea of the club shop, where you can order directly from the supplier and five weeks later it drops through your door.

My vote goes to Pactimo.

Thanks again to Mark for organising this.

Owayo: there was limited sizing and stock available and no women specific samples. In general, as Alan T indicates, what was available was fair enough, but basic. Unlikely in my view to take much hammer/washing etc. Men's sizing seemed pretty faithful to their website.

Pactimo: Richard and Chung above cover matters pretty fully and fairly. Mary was impressed by both quality and cut of the women specific kit - Ascent level gets her vote. I'd add little, save some specific observations on sizing and skinsuits in particular.

From their website I am really on the cusp between medium/large. For shorts & jerseys, I could get away with either, but overall large was probably best - fair enough. On skinsuits curiously the reverse proved the case; the large was significantly too big and the medium a better overall fit. In both (longsleve) suits though, the arms seemed overly long, even allowing for an aero stretch on extended bars. Even the medium was too long for me and I do not have short arms. Also, the suits have thumb loops to keep the arms flat & tight - which would make shortening the arms/cuffs a tricky prospect. The best skinsuit, with the most aero fabric, was I think £134 + VAT i.e. £160.80 or so. Very pricey for a potentially compromised fit.

I presume we go with the majority view and people then buy what they want (or don't). We also can't trial every manufacturer. That said, my understanding is that clubs who use Giordana are generally content with them. Not cheap but reliable and decent quality.

Iain