Aberfoyle/Loch Katrine 14th July

Paul C

• Life Members

Paul,

I initially put my name down for this but I'm not sure if I can make it with my wrist problem & lack of miles recently.

Hope the weather stays good & get a big turn out which this run deserves!

Chung

Some people have previuosly confirmed but that was several weeks.

To get some idea of numbers can those still going please re-confirm.

I know about Tom, Billy and Alan.

Chung - I thought your hand would be OK by now. I don't think your fitness will be a problem.

• Life Members

Hi Paul,

I've still got the stookie, even-though I have been out on the bike on a few occasion but only doing 50ish miles at most.

So, I don't think I'll manage over 100 given its this Sunday that the ride is on.

I'll let you know for sure probably near the time.

Cheers

Chung

ALL

JUST A THOUGHT YOU MAY LIKE THIS AS AN ALTERNATIVE CAMPBELTOWN ROUTE

I DID THIS WITH 2 FRIENDS FROM MY CLIMBING CLUB, THAT LIKE ME DO A WEE BIT OF CYCLING. WE DID THIS LAST FRIDAY 5TH JULY.

ROUTE FOR ME WAS HOME (KILBARCHAN) TO WORK (THORNLIEBANK) 14 MILES MORNING.

FINISH AT 4 ON A FRIDAY SO WORK TO ARDROSSAN 29 MILES FOR THE 16:40 FERRY TO CAMPBELTOWN ARRIVING 21:20. THIS GIVES YOU PLENTY TIME TO GET A GOOD FEED AND LETS IT DIGEST BEFORE YOU START THE RIDE. YOU HAVE TO CARRY ALL YOUR FOOD FOR THE NIGHT SECTION AS THERE IS NOTHING OPEN TILL YOU GET TO DUMBARTON. CAMPBELTOWN TO HOME 137 MILES. DEW TO THE TIME YOU ARE RIDING THESE ROADS ARE VERY QUIET.

YOU DO NEED DESCENT FRONT LIGHTS FOR THIS TRIP THAT WILL LAST 5 HOURS

I WROTE THIS SHORT REPORT FOR FRIENDS.

THE TRIP WAS GREAT MARTIN AND BRYAN HAD A GREAT TIME AND ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER OVERNIGHT TRIP NEXT YEAR. WILL HAVE TO GET MY HEAD INTO ACTION TO PLAN A ROUTE FOR THEM.

ON LEAVING CAMPBELTOWN WE HEAD OVER TO THE WEST AND WE WERE ABLE TO WATCH THE BIG ROLLERS COME IN FROM THE ATLANTIC AS THE SUN SET ON THE WAY NORTH TO TARBERT. IT DID NOT GET PITCH BLACK BECAUSE OF THE TIME OF YEAR & LACK OF CLOUD COVER. IT WAS QUIT LIGHT TILL 12 MIDNIGHT AND THEN THE LIGHT STARTED TO COME BACK BY 2.00. TARBERT HARBOUR LOOK GOOD IN THE STREET LIGHTS AS WE SPEED THROUGH WE HAD HAD A GOOD TAIL WIND UP THE KINTYRE WEST COAST ROAD. LOCHGILPHEAD WAS REACHED AT 12.45 WITH PEOPLE COMING OUT OF PUBS, BUT DID NOT TROUBLE US. WE HIT MIDGES ON THE ROAD TO INVERARAY THAT WAS QUIT BAD BUT DID NOT LAST LONG. THEN IT WAS ROUND THE COAST AND UP THE REST AND BE THANK FULL ON TOP FOR 4.00 THEN A FAST DESCENT INTO MORE MIDGE COUNTRY. WE WERE ABLE TO GET INTO THE ARROCHAR MOUNTAIN RESCUE HUT FOR A COFFEE AND SHORT REST BECAUSE BRYAN HAD THE KEY THAT WAS AT 4.45. THEN OF DOWN THE LOCH LOMOND ROAD, I LEFT THE OTHER TWO AT THE ERSKINE BRIDGE AND GOT IN AT 8 ON THE DOT. I WAS GREAT TO HAVE SOME COMPANY ON THE TRIP AND EVEN BETTER AS THE PATTER WAS REALLY GOOD. 137 MILES FROM CAMPBELTOWN TO THE DOOR, 180 MILES FOR ME FROM DOOR TO DOOR.

HOME IN PLENTY OF TIME TO SEE THE LIONS WIN & THEN A COUPLE OF HOURS SLEEP SO AS NOT TO UPSET YOUR SLEEP PATTERN FOR THE SATURDAY NIGHT.

CAMPBELL

PS WHY IS CAMPBELTOWN SPELT WITH ONLY ONE L? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD HA HA HA

• Life Members

Campbell, that's a hardcore ride! I suppose I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :)

Chaps, I'm interested in the run but will depend on a few things first from my end before committing to this.

Alan & Paul,

Just a suggestion on how we can get to Aberfoyle on less busy roads, via Dumbarton, Bonhill, Cycle Route 7, Dryman, Pipe Track, Gartmore onto Aberfoyle?

The weather forecast is suppose to be still Ok for this Sunday ........ I hope!

I'll confirm near the time if thats OK?

Cheers

Chung

Yes, Richard, just one cafe stop.

Chung - went on the less busy roads to Aberfoyle last year but don't remember the route so hope you can make it.

We are missing your cheery banter!!

First club run on my new bike.

• Life Members

Paul,

If you're riding your new bike, then thats real incentive for me to make it out. I love a new bike (even-though its not mine)! :icon_yes

I'm pretty sure Richard knows the route too if he's going to be present.

I'll post up on Friday to confirm if thats O.K, Paul!

Cheers

Chung

Al - I appreciate your exasperation but as of Tuesday evening there was only me and Alan. Richard would not go if it was not a decent bunch.

A lot of the Sunday regulars are on vacation or working.

I was trying to help out with your proposed run as there had been no postings since the end of June. It would only be you, me and Alan.

It seems there is more interest for Aberfolyle so that is why it was changed.

Hope you will come along.

Paul,

I wouldn't feel too bad for Al and maybe best not to use terms like "vacation or working" as he may get confused.

Anyhoos the run format Campbell posted seemed a bit more interesting maybe food for thought.

Enjoy wherever you go.

D

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Yip. That run Campbell posted looks like a great wee adventure.

Would anyone else be up for it at some point?

Al, my beloved dog, Zoltan, passed away recently. I'm still quite raw so kindly show some compassion.

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Hi Paul,

I'm going to get kicked about Arran.

Have to be back fairly sharpish so this is the best (?) option for me.

Another time!