WOSCA GGCC 3rd July 2013

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've entered the one for next Wednesday, it was a bit tight getting the squeezyjet flights back and forward from this sun kissed cyclists paradise that I am in. Biggest decision each day is how early to leave and how far to go :)

Best of luck tomorrow night, point the steering wheel forward Ross and you'll rip it up - can I suggest a YMCA pose? Andy and Colin, you know the script now, got to be in top 15 before dams climb and clunch road. And move up every time it is possible without too much energy expenditure. And give your last to hang on as so often it eases up just after one gets pumped!

Adios por ahora

Ohyadancer!

Guest EPCC

Well Guys

We saw Ross and gunners in the bunch Ross was st the back not the best place to be when the bunch is moving at 30mph what happens after that

Guest Ross Toole

Pro's = I finished a race!

Con's = It was 20 mins behind the bunch!

Really not sure what's up, just not the legs! Took a wee shot at front on top of a77 and that's about as much as I got to the front and went straight to the back, chucked it on one of the wee dam climbs!

Weird feeling of nothing in legs, back to drawing board.

Gummers finished in the bunch and was changed and on second cup of tea when I rolled in! He spent an awful amount of time in toliet before race and came out with a used needle! The mans a beast!

Guest EPCC

Ross

Don't be too hard on yourself that course saps your energy and if not right you will not last but what are you doing on the front only go there at or near the end never at the start

You racing on Saturday as well if not right might be better to miss it

Great performance from Andy - he's in great form. I decided to have some goals for this race rather than worry too much about where I finished as I just need to improve my race mentality and ability to conserve energy for the difficult bits i.e. hills. So my goals were to move into any gaps which appeared and to be in a decent position for the climbs and to work really hard to hold on to the wheel so as not to get. It was all going according to plan. However as we came to the aptly named 'expletive deleted of a drag' I was well positioned and hanging in comfortably however about halfway up an opportunity arose for me to move further up the bunch on a downhill section so I pressed on. Then - just as I got to the steep bit POP !! my move forward meant I had to slow to the pace at the front and I lost momentum and before I could regain it was out the back and fighting like mad to get back on. Oh well the learning curve goes on. On the plus side felt much more confident moving around the bunch and conserving energy. Good to see Chung cheering us on. Great night to be out on the bike. icon_blue_laugh

• 2023 Subscriptions

Beautiful evening to race with the sun out. Strong westerly wind created one or two challenges mainly on A77 southbound and on left turn at Newton Mearns. The neutralised zone was a but calmer this time compared to the VC race. Turning onto the A77 the pace cranked up and I was sitting in a poorish position close to the rear of the bunch. Colin was looking very strong indeed and was sitting quite far up. I sat in the drag for most of the A77 and at the left turn there was a bit of a sprint to stay on wheels. Onto the climb, I was pretty much in the middle getting dragged up. When it ramped up I moved up a bit towards the front and at the summit down hill to the Clunch found some legs and sat at the front end of the bunch for position. Still managed to hide but the descent gives good speed. Turning onto the Clunch, I went to the front so that I could fall back. By the time I reached the top of the Clunch though my legs were going to burst. Turning onto he A77 there was good time to rest and eat a 'nana. Wossy went to the front and was looking very strong, you know the way Wossy does! Second climb up the Dams I heard a shout for the wheelers! Think it was Chung calling out to Wossy. So knew he was on my left shoulder. Same tactics again to top of dams though though my legs would snap when I went to the front again before the ramp. Hid again for a bit and got dragged up the hill again. Speedy descent down to Clunch again, same tactics up and the front feeding on other guys wheels. When we turned onto A77 speed was ramping up. Saw my wee mouthy EK friend from the Strathaven race. Gave me great pleasure to see him pop before the right hand turn. Then it all got strangely freaky. Sitting in the main bunch heading up for the final sprint. Stayed in the bunch then with 100 meters to go just didn't have legs for final sprint. A very fine evening and by pleased with my first bunch finish. Thought to myself thank got I didn't have three laps of that. Oh yeah. Saturday. Gulp.

Guest EPCC

Great efforts guys

Colin it will come right soon enough

I am jealous just wish I could join you lot on these race excursions

Thankfully I pinch myself and I remember they are lumpy

Target races for me are vets in August maybe two others in September

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great stuff guys. Good idea to have specific goals Colin, it gives a mental focus and a bit more energy. Chapeau Andy excellent report - by the way I can very clearly remember my first group finish where for all the world I swear I actually went backwards in the final 200m such was the shock when the sprint started!

Ross did you do the Paul Gascoigne crying imitation :) just kiddin, I was on strava for the first time in yonks yesterday and was knackered just looking at all your activities, maybe you just need a short rest,

All the best for Saturday, hopefully see some of youse for the instalment next Wednesday.

Espana por favor

I concur with the advice for Ross to take it easy for a bit - first full season and all that. That nothing in the legs feeling has been my best friend for ages. Proper recovery miles for a week or so then ease yourself back in to it.

Well done Andy and Colin. Agree with Billy's comment - it will come right in time.