• 2023 Subscriptions

Anyone fancy the Etape Cymru on Sunday 8th September? I am thinking about driving down on the Saturday and stopping Saturday night and possibly Sunday at a nearby campsite. I hope to have the campervan set up for 4-people plus bikes by then.

http://www.etape-cymru.co.uk/

Tom

• 2023 Subscriptions

Getting there Darryl. 3rd week appointment on the 16th. Should be knitted together by then and the next few weeks are for regaining mobility and rebuilding strength. I've been on the turbo every second or third day and it no longer hurts when holding the hoods. I'll leave the drops to next week.

All will be well for Majorca!

Tom

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

George

It is Wales - hills aplenty. How many birthdays per year does your wife have?

Tom

Tom, being married to a big hunk like me means every day is like her birthday.

I'm a great cook, handy with a trowel, an attentive listener, my ironing skills have to be seen to believed and I'm a great winch.

She's truly blessed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Billed as the toughest sportive in Britain and I am not going to argue.

Departing from Bangor on Dee racecourse the weather was very cold with a watery sun promising its best but delivering very little by way of heat. Started off with the usual frantic pace as the first 2.5km was somewhere between flat and downhill. It was then that the course began to live up to its name. What followed was as close to an alpine climb as can be found in Britain measuring about 22km with a few very short and very fast downhill sections in between. The descent from the peak was brilliant. 2km of fairly narrow roads, several corners but good sight lines and good tarmac and closed roads. This is where I hit my maximum speed for the day of 65kph. Could have gone a bit faster but it became quite busy near the bottom.

Next came the (in)famous horseshoe pass. 6km climb measuring 10-12% in places. Geraint Thomas's time of 14mins and 22secs was never in any doubt; although I did match the 22 seconds by reaching the top in 25 mins and 22 seconds. It was tough in places but overall only marginally tougher that Crow Road.

I thought well if that's the famed horseshoe pass over and done then I should be okay. Of course this was only twenty five miles in so perhaps I should have realised that I was getting ahead of myself.

And I was because then came the C11s cousin which was very tough into an icy head wind. Another quick descent and then the C11's big cousin; I sure mine wasn't the only voice calling out for my mum! It was only 5km with an average gradient of 5% but there were several 12% and above sections which had my legs screaming at me and wondering why they had been forced to drive 300 miles south then get up at 5:30 in the morning to do this cycling malarkey instead of lying in bed.

This brought me tiredly to the third feed stop. Not much point in hanging around as it was still only 8C with a chilly wind to boot. Cheese toasties were a brilliant idea and made a welcome change to sweet gels and energy drink.

Another tiring 6km drag and I am wondering if I will make it to the end, still 50 km to go. At the top of this climb some kind soul had put the inspiring message "cheer up, the worst is still to come". He wasn't lying. After another fast descent the next climb seemed to be never ending with the first 2km of 10-12% with little 5-6% respites. It never fails to amaze me how 6% suddenly become easy after a prolonged effort at 10%. Eventually things levelled off to a more manageable 3-4% which seemed to continue to the top of what was now a very dark and very cloudy world.

Oh deep joy, freezing rain for the next 3 miles was just about enough to make me throw my bike off the mountain. It was only the realisation that, without it, I would have to walk that prevented me from doing so.

From here I finally found a group that I could keep up with, probably because the final 10 miles only involved some short climbs and flat to rolling, which we covered in just under 30 minutes. There was the obligatory sprint to the line where I only just made the podium, stealing third by a tyre width.

An epic ride, tougher than Flanders. I made it 2900m of climbing which is still 1000m short of the Nove Colli but the compressed distance and the fact that you were either climbing or descending with little in between did make it a tough ride.