30 milers Sunday 29th July

John Malcolm

If the weather is kind this Sunday the plan is to attempt the Toward/Loch Strivan run(again).

Leave 0900 Club. Track to Kilmacolm, Knockbuckle Road, Auchenbothie Road, Clune Brae, A8 to Greenock, A78 to Gourock. Western Ferries either 1000hrs or 1030 Ferry.

Dunoon, Innellan, Toward to Knock Dhu (Loch Strivan).

Same route for return, Coffee stop in Dunoon.

If the weather is not looking good we can try a local run. Long range forecast however makes the Loch Strivan run a good shout.

Only hill is the Clune Brea on return. Flat run with fantastic views on the Argyll side.

Cheers

John

Hi, this sounds good but since i am coming from Largs i might skip the car journey to Johnstone and meet you at the ferry. Plus, i will be right on time for the cafe stop... Oh ya dancer !

lemme know what ferry you'll be on. I will be there regardless of the weather...

cheers

Harry

[edit] I plan to ride from largs to the ferry terminal and back just incase you though i was a big girls blouse and was taking the car...

Many thanks to everyone who turned out today. Great run to Gourock when the intermediate group headed for Largs. The Dunoon to Toward/Knock Dhu was a great run although the 15 mins of heavy rain on the return leg to Dunoon was not good.

Well organised bunch with everyone working for each other. Finish mileage for most 70 to 80 miles,( a 30 mile day out?).

Well done to everyone and hope Dave recovers from accident at Houston.

Look forward to next week

Thanks all.

Greig/Elaine you dont know what you missed.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks to John for todays run and route. Good teamwork from the Dunoon bunch helped to boost the speed and the mileage to +70miles.

Checked the tyre and tube and both ripped. Must have run over the wheel nut which then caused the blowout. Grazed and bruised but i'll live to fight another day.

Dave Hello, beer !! and Carol Mad mouser

A good "combo" run today - very enjoyable, thanks. Oh ya dancer !

The intermediates headed for Largs, where the fast chaps caught up with us just in time for the cafe stop. We came home via Brisbane Glen, the Whynn (sp?) and the track from Kilamcolm. We got wet too - several times!

Mary

p.s Hope Dave's OK.

I really enjoyed the run yesterday. Good bunch of folk and i clocked up 60ish miles. I know the rest did a lot more. Ejoyed the formation thingy, something new for me. Thanks everyone, hope to be out next week too!

Harry

If only life was so simple

Progression if it exists in the club should be from 30 milers through to intermediates through to main bunch.

However the only constant and vissable different bunch is the main bunch who tend to ride slightly faster on runs 60 miles plus.

The 30 milers is very much the same as the intermidiates ( social ride group ) so where do the 30 milers go the next logical group is doing much the same as the 30 milers so why move it wont be any different ( or will it) unlike the social group moving to the main bunch where there may be a step up re speed/ pace.

The problem is that the groups under the main bunch may not be set up to provide a development pathway from one group to another as as far as i am lead to believe each group likes doing what it is doing and has no real interst in developing or moving riders through the group.

As i am only a part of the main group i can not speak for it but it would be best to move to the main bunch when we move into the end of season/ winter coast runs as normally pace drops and route becomes flatter

again this would be only if one wanted to afterall the groups are artacting reasonable bunches and who are we to dictate to other club members how or who they should spend their sunday run with

Looking forward to the usual replies and maybe we should discuss to see if that is what we all want a structurre to move ffrom one group to the other :smash

Mark and Billy

Having read your posts i cannie bite my lip any more . I for one dont recall seeing either of you coming out with the 30 milers last year when i asked on numerous occasions for one of the main bunch riders to come out with us and show us how to ride properly in a bunch or take the time to go through some of the proper formations when riding in a group . We only got this info a few weeks ago when Tony so happened to come out with us for a while and pointed us in the right direction and i will say it again thanks Mr Carrigan ( thats why your captain of the year ) for your help Hello, beer !! . Since we have been shown this method we use it to our advantage now :icon_mooning but you both do have some good points i agree some of the 30 miler riders should move on to another group but this doesnt mean they have to does it ? if they are enjoying whats going on in their runs let it be . The 30 milers always have a coffee stop the social bunch dont always do this and some like a gab more than others for the past couple of weeks both groups have started together and split off along the route ive not heard anyone complaining bout this . Now we did have our problems a few weeks ago and to be fair Mark offered to come out for a while and show us how its done but like i said earlier this is no longer required :icon_yes . As for distance 60 miles was quote is that not 30 miles one way and 30 miles back again :grin: only joking i also think that there is no harm in doing more miles but i think we should stick to somewhere between 25 and 45 miles working on our technique more but thats just me as for the main bunch sounds like their all having a squeaky bum time at the moment because people are taking notice of the new blue and yellow train thats coasting along just nicely at the moment thank you very much icon_rolling_smile maby were stealing some of your thunder Nothing's THAT funny ! just sayin like so all i can say to the main bunch is G I R U Y

Greig

ps i wasnt on this run either It's party time ! so well done the 30 milers

pps get well soon David

• 2023 Subscriptions

Grieg

Me thinks billy and mark are pulling your chain. The more groups the better. Cyclists will gravitate to the group that suits them. The fact you are taking the time to organise the 30 milers is fantastic and long may it continue. Not so long ago the numbers were a lot fewer than they are now. Agree with your comments about tony but also think billy and mark both deserve to be commended for their efforts

Input noted.It may be lost that the "30 milers" and the IM groups are starting runs together and splitting after an hour or two.

As far as I am aware everyone involved is happy with this. If however any of us have a great wish to batter up and down the Ayrshire coast over hills and get spat out the back half dead we will give the main bunch a shout.

Just wish we could be left alone to enjoy club runs that we arrange to suit our ability. Thanks for the input however your interest in our welfare is appreciated.

John

John and Mr Grumpy Grieg tthat is what I was trying so say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it

Greig

For your information I did try and organise some coaching sessions which was not exactly full I would run more and it was my intention to cover all aspects of group riding but we do need more than 4

For that to work my post was in broad agreement that what we have works and if anybody wants to come with the main group feel free

On another point I am not insured to coach on the road

And where's your note fro Friday you were marked absent from the track very bad

Billy please accept my most humble of apologies i remember now that you did indeed organise the training sessions at Inchinan but you cant really blame us for defending the best bunch that the club has to offer, of that there is no question ah Friday night i cant say sorry enough but i will be there this week of this i know cos i stop for my jollies so i will not have an excuse Stoooopid!

Greig

More poking with a stick than pulling of Greig's chain. I know I shouldn't but.....

Nonetheless its good to hear the 30 (aka 60) milers and the intermediates are doing joint runs for a bit. Good opportunity to learn new skills, experience smooth bunch riding first hand and get an answer to that nagging question. It would also help break down any misgivings some may have about moving from one group to another.

Perhaps there should be more of this among the various groups/bunches (including the main bunch) every once and a while where the pace, as far as the main bunch is concerned, could be reined back for the first part of the run to allow the groups to mix, say up to a coffee stop, then those who wish to can go do their own thing.

I'm not suggesting the main bunch loose its antisocial aura, heaven forbid!!!!, but there are riders in wheelers' colours I've never met before never mind being able to put a name to a face.

Not say this must be done, merely a suggestion and food for thought.

M

Mark i like the idea of all 3 bunches going out together at least till the coffee stop so on behalf of the 30 milers here would be our rules

1 try staying together at a reasonable pace suited to us

2 no sprinting for the 30 signs

3 waiting for riders at top of big climbs within reason of course

4 obey the highway code we stop at red lights lol

if you can agree to these terms then im sure the 30 milers would give you all a nice surprise at how well were all riding at the moment i cant speak for the other group they might be up for this if their not changing their name again Ya-a-aawwnnn i will leave this with you and look forward to you posting this run i suggest largs and we may even let you all into our BB :icon_yes before you all go on a faster run home

Greig Hello, beer !!

Me and ma wee mate Jimbo sneaked onto the back of the 30 miler's group as they passed Brookfield. Great run down to the ferry with the" spelling up" running smoothly, marshalled by Jim and Ken. Due to time restraints, did not go to sea, however a good 39 miles in total, even the total soaking in Greenock did not dampen the spirits. Good to see so many well kent faces. Will not make this Sunday, going to climb a mountain somewhere.

ATB

Alan

Greg,

Your terms are generally acceptable with the single caveat that the speed merchants may find the lure of a 30 too much to resist. Also there are no big climbs on the way to Largs but yes the aim would be to keep the groups together. There has been talk amongst the antisocial ones about a taster run in the main bunch for those who dont ride in it at the end of the season (racing), probably post Rothesay weekend.

We'll work something out and post up. A Largs run does seem the most sensible, possibly with 2/3 mixed bunches going out to keep the groups sizes on the road manageable. If workable it might be worth considering it as whole club run with a meet up at Miller Street for soup, buns and a general get together afterwards. Fast bunchers could make a break up the road to open up and fire up the kilns.

M