Thursday Evening Chain Gang 12th April

Mark O

Ok, Davie B's ill fated, but nonetheless fine suggestion for an APR style session for Thursday this week was holed below the water line.

Official line for Thursday evening is for a repeat of last week's run out down the West Ferry, up the Clune and back along the Georgetown. Usual rules apply.

Meet at the bus stop approx 100 yards from the Crosslees roundabout for 6 pm sharp.

Who is in?

Hoping to be there at whatever time.

A reminder we set off down the Westferry last week with no' much of a clue what was happening and had to organise it on the fly. We need to take 5 minutes out to brief newcomers on how it works before we set out.

Cheers,

D

Sorry! my mistake :oops: , 6.30 pm start. Overly keen on my part :icon_mooning

Agreed Davie, a quick 5 minutes to establish what we doing and how its going to work is a better idea than trying to cobble it together on the hoof.

Let's have one voice on this point as there is no point reinventing the wheel or confusing guys new to a Thursday evening's run out. Davie you raised the point therefore can you post up how things should work down the Westferry in your view and we'll go with that for good or ill (no grumblings or discension). If it needs tweaking after the fact then we'll do that before the 19th.

M

Good link explaining the "through and off" style which seems to have become the regular routine for this ...there is a "but" coming....important points keep things smooth annd predictable, avoid acelerations, gaps, cross over wheels and braking to keep it safe.

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-club ... d-off.html

but surely paceline to the clune is what we are aiming for or at least practicing the technique sometimes....next post explains all.

Paceline technique explained....same general principles apply in terms of smooth, predictable riding - do as much or as little on the front as you want...is maybe a wee bit less erratic and easier to adopt for a mixed group than through and off. It was evident that when this was called last week nobody had a clue what to do - we should be practicing both.

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-club ... ining.html

For Thursday I would suggest Georgetown/Bish route with brisk paceline to the Clune, climb Clune as fast as you can (no pain, no gain), then chain gang ( free for all) after summit....however majority decision rules.

No 10 page internet debate please.

D

I'll bee oot.

Haven't a scooby so will sit quietly at the back until

I am jettisoned into space which is probably gonna happen

Somewhere within 10 minutes of the start.

Davie,

Only 2 have voted for eyeballs out-one of whom

will not even be present.

Doesn't take much to make the common sense

option the more popular strategy.

This through and off thing perplexes me so would

like some instruction prior to the hammer going down.

Sod the debate. I asked Davie B to post up in order that all coming out, yes those actually turning up, understood what was going to happen not to instigate a debate. McBagel - you're not going to be there so eh shut it! As an aside, and yes I am taking the bait, as a budding coach you should know that everyone turning out for these sessions should at the very least take something positive out of them and that does not extend to getting a doing pre Westferry and going home none the wiser as to what was trying to be achieved. A good work out and improving/learning riding technique is what we're after.

Thursday evening run out will be as last week. Warm up to Greenock Road then a PACELINE as per Davie's link (please read and understand) along the Westferry. The intent will be to keep the group together along the Westferry as best we can, the pace will be smart but not stupid. Up the Clune as hard/easy as you like within reason with a regroup at the top. Through and off (again see link) with increasing speed on the return through Kilmalcolm and BofW with the usual eyeballs out effort along the Georgetown. If you're dropped on the way in then you're dropped on the way in. If you are new to a Thursday evening session, hang in as long as you can and keep at it, you will find that you'll stay on further each time as the weeks pass.

That's it. No more debate or discussion required. Davie, thanks for the link. If anyone is not happy then a note from your mum will excuse you a turn at the front and you can post up your suggestions for Thursday week; anyone still in dark re paceline/through and off then a quick 5 mins briefing before we set off.

See y'all Thursday.

Grumpy

Mark,

Cheers for the reply and apologies (to all) if I have added to any confusion.

With consideration (and without petted lip) I'll probably head out with Renfrew bunch on Thursday as this seems a ready made solution for anybody wanting a hard work out and an easy life.

As a final word before I start my "aye" or "naw" type posts, the RB is nothing to be scared off for most of the Thursday night regulars and last nights edition was mucho fun.

Peace....

D

Oh dear, I'm not against an eyeballs out strategy, per se. I just wanted a bit of illumination

before kick off to avoid any potentially dangerous errors on my part.

Apologies If my naivety puts anyone off. I have now absorbed Davie's data and think

I comprehend.

Seems impossible to post on here wothout issue/huffs being taken and splinter groups

resulting.

See you on Thursday although I reserve the right to sashay off huffily by myself at the

first word uttered that I don't entirely endorse.

Highly Strung Hincapie. :icon_mooning

• 2023 Subscriptions

I go on holiday and leave my Thursday night run in the capable hands of mark only to discover on viewing the forum that we have dissent and mutiny. ThIs run is a direct alternative to Renfrew bunch and if we all participate should be harder as we do full route. It was made clear at the outset that it was a training run and if you have a mechanical or can not keep up then better luck next time. If the 2 Davie's r going with renfra then I have failed and I will simply join renfra bunch when I return though I thought our first chain gang was a great success and if enough support happy to run these on a purely autocratic basis so there is no doubt