This weekend

P McDonald

I'm intrigued by this bogs bunch. I assume it's the group I went out with 20 years ago. What kind of standard is it? Do you think I could keep up with them before bailing at Largs & coming home over the haylie?

Sunday road ride I suggest unless there is a thaw we keep on roads.

My preference would be Bushopron westerly Largs and then decide on way back but hopefully not up the clune west kilbride or something

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul,

I'll join you at Lochwinnoch for a run up to the mines tomorrow. Have some time constraints (and an incredible lack of fitness), so will leave you there and head home.

I'd agree about the compass. Would also pack a bit of food and a jacket etc.

Last time I went across there was on foot and it was tough going. I've had a quick look at the map and the shortest route (4-5km) is north west from the mine (essentially following the pylon line for quite a bit). This does take you right to the top of the brisbane glen road though, so downhill all the way to the cafe. If you go west or even south west, you do get closer to Largs, but the off road bog run is 6-9km.

See you at 9am.

R

P.S. - Hoping for an easy spin to the mines, as I have only been on a bike 5 times in the last 8 weeks! :oops::-(

• 2024 Subscriptions
Sunday road ride I suggest unless there is a thaw we keep on roads.

My preference would be Bushopron westerly Largs and then decide on way back but hopefully not up the clune west kilbride or something

That's fine by me. West kilbride on way home sounds good.

See you tomorrow. Nice brisk pace so we get tp the BB first :rockets

• Committee
Icy here Sturday morning so I will miss out on risky downhill run to join the renfrew bunch. (Almost broke my wrist slipping on the Clune last night)

May join insane bid tomorrow but it will be a bog trudge for about 3-4k.

Alan

Were you on the Clune last night about 6pm?

Hi jann

I was running up the cline about 1900 then sliding back down on black ice about 1930. The runoff from the quarry was particularly icy.

Alan

• Committee

Paul/guys

Going with road bunch!

I have previously checked out some of the moor with the view to a Kilmacolm Largs run (on foot) and I think this would be a lovely summer adventure but a major suckfest in the current weather.

So, for that reason, I'm out.

But looking forward to massively entertaining bog stories tomorrow.

See you in the Basket of Bagels. Would you like us to order for you?

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well it is true that the road bunch got to the cafe about 10 mins before the cross bunch. However there are some mitigating circumstances which mean the xcrossers won the moral high ground - like wading through river half way up thighs, having to hoof it all the way from the mine to the Loch Thom road, a broken chain even! And if that is not compelling enough the crossers even got themselves organised to win the sprint into Kilbirnie. Case closed!

Big thanks to Iain, Kenny and David for sharing this insane episode over the moors - its as well Lewis was doing the business in Mull as he might have disappeared into one of those boggy bits never to be seen again.

Oh ya dancer !

no more challenges till January at least .... any thoughts either road or cross? Anniesland bunch on a cross bike, twice round Arran between 2 ferries etc :grin:

• 2023 Subscriptions

if you are serious about looking for another cross chalange, i have one that i have wanted to do for a few years. it would possably be slightly tougher than to days paddle.

over the erskine bridge straight on up the hill on the road and track to loch humphry,the track is good but steep,keep heading north over the moors to fyn loch,pond wood,duncryne road,old school road,old millatary road(a811),then hove via balloch.

it would be a belter of a ride/carry

iain

We couldn't let you crossers go home only with wet feet to nurse, had to let you restore some sense of pride. No more excuses regards first to the Basket du Bagels. You didn't hear us mention anything about Billy Mac's mudguard incident. You pick your machine and route, pays your money and tak your chances with weather, terrain and mechanicals.

If Billy Mac had preped his steed with greater dillegence, not that he should be reviled or chided for such an oversight, that reputed 10 minute gap would have been closer to 20. Admittedly we could have been plagued with punctures and the like but weren't in which case we too would have cried foul and no fair.

In any case I think you find that Alan bagged the 30 into Largs. So honours even on the 30s and one up to the skinny tyre boys on the coffee stop. History only remembers the victors 'coz they get to write it, and history will show that the road boys were sipping tea and coffee while the crossers shoes were still leaking bog water.