Main Bunch December 4th

Guest EPCC

You are a cad and an uncouth bounder, Mr Donnelly. Barbie goony indeed, I am very much a Cindy man, with Polly Pocket running a close second. I demand satisfaction regards your unfounded slur on my personage. A public retraction or The Clune Brae at dawn, Mr Donnelly, bring your best steed and oxygen, you may have need of it.

Yours

Slightly Miffed

No retraction. You are the Charles Haughtrey of cycling. also- u canny make miller street for 9am so no much chance of a dawn duel at the clune! I might buy you a slice of cake at the BB if it'll straighten yer face! Lol.

You lot complain far too much as you are making your attack of the great coastal route I will be having to focus on my cadence pyramid in the gym whilst you will be freezing I will be sweating buckets and then at the end I will have to do with a flat white and a roll in Bacon over looking the meadows in Edinburgh anybody want to swap

Billy, I guess that makes u sort of a professional cyclist. We never really got going 2day, punctures,folk struggling,mechanical disasters,people turning up in the cafe as we were about to leave,people riding faster than me up the haylie. Please make an effort not to puncture,break bikes, go faster than me uphill next week. Richard-please abstain from all training until further notice & spend all your money on fish suppers & beer. That is all.

• 2023 Subscriptions

missed the start as had to do custody visit. resigned myself to solo effort. left bow at 10.35 headed to quarriers. Hit snow storm so decided to turn towards Kilmalcolm as sky there brighter. Good move as dry on coast road till I got to skelmorlie when I could see a heavy cloud crossing the firth. Time trialled to Largs with wind at my back rain vcaught me but great fun trying to avoid it. sprinted in to 30 at Largs beating an imaginary Billy Mac by a nose. then joy of joys the bunch were still in the bagel basket so had good company up the haylie and into Johnstone. feel that we beat the weather and I thoroughly enjoyed my run

Ps I texted Chung to tell him that I would not make run but chungster you were posted missing

A struggle today for some reason - legs felt like two bags of cement!!

Many thanks for waiting - special mensh to MArk for helping with the puncture and towing me into Largs.

Managed to avoid all the showers somehow - the only time it lashed down we were having a refreshment in the BB!!

Was such a fine day out dodging snow showers until the bloke in the 4x4 decided to turn Andy and I into snowmen, on the road to Kilbirnie.

Billy, you old dog,thought you were supposed to be working. Anyway, we all know your getting on a bit but Pyramid cadence technique? Is that some kind of relic of a training system you learned in your youth when the Egyptians were developing Carnac. What's next Caesarian intervals as deviseded by ol' Julius himself!! :lol:

It sounds like a.fun day you want another sorte into ayrshire next week maybe even get to Addrosan could go Addrosan first then largs over loch Thom and another hill and home or over the dark side with the cold weather coming it might not be the best idea to go over to the crow wouldn't like to hit ice on the way down that

So what you lot think

• 2024 Subscriptions

Good day out, albeit a bit cold coming off the brae into Kilbirnie. Thanks to all.

As for future routes, I personally prefer variations on the coast theme: mostly flat with plenty of bail-out options if needed. Sometimes it is wise to decide which direction on the day, depending on the wind. If the weather is anything like today, probably best to stay away from the hills.

Tom, hope you got back ok. Methinks it time to get the tricross out!

See you next week :grin:

• 2023 Subscriptions

An interesting day out!!

Legs froze at the mammoth climb from the Tesco by-pass in Port Glasgow (Thanks to Mark for the pull!!). Guess it was all the hanging around waiting on the puncture repairs. After that all was going quite swimmingly. Literally at some points; I don't think I have ever seen so much water on the roads when it wasn't raining. The low altitude sun made it almost impossible to see where you were going.

Warmed up nicely in the Bagel basket but the gears on the Scot gave out before we even turned the corner on to the Healy Brae. Rear mech into the spokes and wrecked the wheel. I trudged back to Largs railway station only to find they had their own problems and the next train was two hours away.

So with renewed impetus I decided to bash the wheel a bit and managed to shorten the chain and make it into a fixie. Making more noise than a poorly maintained Trabant, I limped all the way to Whemyss Bay where thankfully there sat a warm and welcoming train.

As luck would have it, it was the express train and so it did not stop at Langbank. I alighted, minding the gap as instructed, at Bishopton. With renewed and as it turned out, unwise vigour, I jumped on the ancient steed and started pedalling toward Langbank, where upon the rear wheel totally gave up the ghost.

Martin would be proud the way I lugged it back, in true cyclo-cross style, the three and half miles to Langbank.

Having now assessed the damage I think the bearings in the wheel had a sudden catastrophic failure causing the mech to jump into the spokes in mangling pretty much everything.

Darryl, Yes it is time for the tricross to take over. The Scot is now part-time only and in need of some TLC. However I do have a pair of lovely vintage highly polished Campag hubs. So wheel building will be the next project.

Taking the positives, it could have happened on the descent over the other side of the Healy which might not have been very pleasant!!

On the wagon next Saturday night so I won't be out on Sunday.

Tom

Chaps, having seen forecast for the week I agree with Darryl. Looks like snow on the way so best to stay coast hugging. I do not fancy getting stuck on top of the crow or such like. Enjoyed 2day & happy to do variations on the same route until new year.

• Members

Tom, that's a world-beating tale of woe. I think you've eclipsed your Flanders escapades. :grin: Seriously, though, glad you got home safely - in fact, I'm glad we all got home without incident. The road down to Kilbirnie was very sketchy with slush all over the surface, apart from where cars had broken through. Common sense prevailed on the descent and we took our time about it. Not an experience I'm keen to repeat, though.

See you next week, guys (unless it's snowing!)

• Committee
Tom, that's a world-beating tale of woe. I think you've eclipsed your Flanders escapades. :grin: Seriously, though, glad you got home safely - in fact, I'm glad we all got home without incident. The road down to Kilbirnie was very sketchy with slush all over the surface, apart from where cars had broken through. Common sense prevailed on the descent and we took our time about it. Not an experience I'm keen to repeat, though.

See you next week, guys (unless it's snowing!)

Snow cannot stop us.