Regular Mountain Bike runs

HMC

Hey folks,

just testing the water..

would any one be up for a fairly regular mtb run around the local area or maybe or bit further afield? Say a couple of hours on a Sat morning or any other time we can fit in during the week or evenings? Although i am not a huge fan of cycling in the dark or night rides myself..(prefer to be sleeping)..

if anyone is up for it perhaps we can arrange a blast around muirshiel or something in the next couple of weeks...dont need to be hugely fit or aynthing...just up for a bit of mud..

cheers

H

Hi

I like to mess about on a mountain bike occasionally, mainly in the winter. I generally go to Gleniffer Braes, Muirshiel, Parkhill Woods or the Kilpatrick Hills but this winter I'm thinking of heading over to Mugdock more often - it's a place I don't know very well but hope to become more familiar with.

Maybe catch up with you in November/December then?

Thanks

Tony

Hi

I like to mess about on a mountain bike occasionally, mainly in the winter. I generally go to Gleniffer Braes, Muirshiel, Parkhill Woods or the Kilpatrick Hills but this winter I'm thinking of heading over to Mugdock more often - it's a place I don't know very well but hope to become more familiar with.

Maybe catch up with you in November/December then?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

i havent been to Gleniffer Braes or Kilpatrick or Mugdock for that matter, yea i know i am a heathen!..

i normally hit my local trails around largs/fairlie/kaim hill and greenock like leapmoor forest. Used to do a bit of cycling up where i used to live in Aberdeen, ballater etc.

So what i will do is post something on the forum of when i am going out and see if any one turns up...everyone is welcome. It wont be til after the 9th oct.

Its good to see that this has had a good response. I plan to ride the Saturday mtb and the 30 milers on a sunday...

but as i said, it doesnt need to be a saturday, when i am home i can manage most days (wife permitting) during the week.

cheers everyone..

If anyone is talking about cycling after dark then they either need their head examined or they have a good headlight! What does anyone recommend?

Talking about getting your head examined, I was hearing how one chap walking home on a country road by moonlight, decided to try walking with his eyes closed to see what it would be like to be blind. He worked out that if he walked near the edge of the road his foot would make a noise on the loose gravel and he would adjust his direction. So he started off and shortly his right foot caught the gravel, so he took a big step to the left and went head first over the dyke! What had happened was that with his left foot he had stepped over the gravel onto grass and did not realise that he was on the opposite side of the road. A true story. You could try this with a bike, it might work better. lol.

Regards

James

Hi James,

I have done plenty of dark rides, and intend to do more this year.

I use an Exposure Enduro Turbo which has 4 settings:

Flashing - lasts forever

Low - up to 8 hours

High - up to 4 hours

Turbo - up to 2 hours

Light is plenty good on high for the back roads around Houston, Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir etc with downhill speeds recorded in excess of 25mph :lol: Turbo makes the neds on the cycle track stand back (must be confusing, a rapidly approaching light bright enough to be a motorbike but no noise 8-) )

Have never had a battery run out on me but a previous version did cut out completely on the back road over by Kilmacolm golf club (but only because I had dropped it from a height the day before :angryfire ). Made me appreciate just how much light it was pumping out.

Reflection can be a problem when it is wet as the light tends to bounce off the road surface making speeds a bit lower.

Added bonus of the exposure lights is that they have a self contained battery (no wires). There are newer versions than the one I have with the MAXXD being the latest (I think). Can be pricey but well worth the money if you are going to be out in the dark regularly enough.

I know that Alan McLean runs with Lupines so he will undoubtely fill you in on their qualities.

Important note: don't neglect the quality of your rear light. If riding in traffic you can be lost if its not bright enough. Remember legally you have to have a constant light (supplemented with flashers if you want) and must have a rear mounted reflector (I think its between 300 - 900mm from the ground).

Hope this helps.

Colin Hello, beer !!

James,

I have recently purchased a light from the good people at:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/

I did a fair bit of research with regards to price, quality and user reviews before I decided. This seemed for my purposes to be the sensible 3rd way, falling between;

> Mega expensive lights for mad MTB types (I believe you can actually spend up to £850 on a BIKE light!!)

> Cheapo, indeterminate far east knock offs which haunt the virtual corridors of Fleabay (not knocking these BTW as they may be excellent, it was just the doubt factor in terms of quality / customer service that put me off).

Have not used my Magicshine much yet but can confirm it is astonishingly bright in use and one of the flicker settings would probably shock a bikepath lurking ned onto the path to sobriety!

Further plus points - UK based distributor, availability of spares and (from what I can gather) good levels of customer service.

Cons (so far) - handlebar mount is functional but maybe not great, helmet mount is cack!!, have read that lens maybe a wee bit fragile in the event of a shunt but you could mangle any bike mounted light if you come off dependant on what hits the deck first. I would prefer to mangle at this price point rather than at the more rarified level.

Summary - impressed so far.

D

James,

I have recently purchased a light from the good people at:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/

I did a fair bit of research with regards to price, quality and user reviews before I decided. This seemed for my purposes to be the sensible 3rd way, falling between;

> Mega expensive lights for mad MTB types (I believe you can actually spend up to £850 on a BIKE light!!)

> Cheapo, indeterminate far east knock offs which haunt the virtual corridors of Fleabay (not knocking these BTW as they may be excellent, it was just the doubt factor in terms of quality / customer service that put me off).

Have not used my Magicshine much yet but can confirm it is astonishingly bright in use and one of the flicker settings would probably shock a bikepath lurking ned onto the path to sobriety!

Further plus points - UK based distributor, availability of spares and (from what I can gather) good levels of customer service.

Cons (so far) - handlebar mount is functional but maybe not great, helmet mount is cack!!, have read that lens maybe a wee bit fragile in the event of a shunt but you could mangle any bike mounted light if you come off dependant on what hits the deck first. I would prefer to mangle at this price point rather than at the more rarified level.

Summary - impressed so far.

D

Hi Davie,

What did you choose in the end up? Quite a few to choose on this site.

Regards

James

• Committee

"I know that Alan McLean runs with Lupines so he will undoubtely fill you in on their qualities."

Nope, Duncan is correct. Now running two top spec Lumcycle LEDs, one flashing and one on constant.

Fantastic lights but at a high price. Great service, you can chat to the guys who made them.

Alan

"I know that Alan McLean runs with Lupines so he will undoubtely fill you in on their qualities."

Nope, Duncan is correct. Now running two top spec Lumcycle LEDs, one flashing and one on constant.

Fantastic lights but at a high price. Great service, you can chat to the guys who made them.

Alan

Interesting idea. What do you talk about? lol.

So anyway, what model of Lumicycle do you recommend? Or for an alternative, what beam range and quantity of lumen are we talking about?

Regards

James

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of lights, how does the spec "Twin 9 LED Bike Lights Ultra bright 12,000 mcd LEDs" sound? Would that be a good start for lighting the way ahead?

James

Ok, just letting you know that I should have these by Monday. They may not be the best (I would be surprised if they were), but hope they are good enough to get me out for a spin on the mtb at night. Last Jets session is this Saturday, so any time after that.....

James

On the subject of lights, how does the spec "Twin 9 LED Bike Lights Ultra bright 12,000 mcd LEDs" sound? Would that be a good start for lighting the way ahead?

James

Ok, just letting you know that I should have these by Monday. They may not be the best (I would be surprised if they were), but hope they are good enough to get me out for a spin on the mtb at night. Last Jets session is this Saturday, so any time after that.....

James

Available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WINTER-LE ... 0889836131

They are pretty good for the money. Only £12.95 :oops:

and that is for the pair! The fitting is better than shown in the photo (The clamp screws do not stick up as they are shown). Simple to remove and the clamps could be used with many ordinary torches as well. I have one on my bike at the moment and will fit the other soon. ok for cycle track and tracks you know but not sure about using them in an area that I was unsure about.

James

• 2 weeks later...

James

James

Available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WINTER-LE ... 0889836131

They are pretty good for the money. Only £12.95 :oops:

and that is for the pair! The fitting is better than shown in the photo (The clamp screws do not stick up as they are shown). Simple to remove and the clamps could be used with many ordinary torches as well. I have one on my bike at the moment and will fit the other soon. ok for cycle track and tracks you know but not sure about using them in an area that I was unsure about.

James

did you ever get to run those lights you bought off ebay?....i was intersted to hear what you thought. I have a pair that i bought last year same as those.