Thursday 10th June

Colin H

Given lack of numbers in recent weeks I guess the APR thing will probably be a non starter :cry:

Therefore backroad fun proposals for this week are:

Meet at Houston r/bout for 1900 start

Monkey House Road

Westferry

Langbank

Netherton Road

Finlaystone

Kilmacolm

West Glen

Kilmacolm Golf Course

Phils Folly

BOW Golf Course (inc uphill sprint for 30 sign which I think is there :roll: )

Final confirmation to be carried out by Wednesday 1700 (so if you still fancy the APR hands up Oh ya dancer ! )

Colin Hello, beer !!

Davie,

As you say the clue is in there ;-)

If you recall Sundays route we left Johnstone and went through Houston where we had to pass around a big roundabout. Thats the one.

As you go around as if you were heading for the Erskine Bridge there is a bus stop on the LHS. We shall depart from there 8-)

Colin Hello, beer !!

Cheers Colin,

I know where you mean now.

However I freely admit to being useless at directions & can actually recall a time when I quite literally got lost in the proverbial straight line, so if I'm not there at 7 on Thursday I may be cycling down the frozen food ailse in Morrisons :lol: .

Davie

• Members

As APRs seem to be failing why not resurrect the good old points race.

Group ride just as Colin has planned but predetermined sprints /Cols on route with points given

ie 5 ,4,3,2,1 at each sign /hilltop

Double points for final gallop.

Each rider keeps total :roll: in head

No sprinting more than 500m before sign , regroup /piano between signs .

I can recommend a nice route starting at Johnstone going to Kilbirnie which has 6 sprints and 4 climbs

Suitable training for our track sprinters :rockets

Kenny,

Can you advise the route you are thinking about for next weeks fun/pain session.

I quite like the sound of a route that is weighted towards the sprinters Oh ya dancer ! .

Few too many hills for a clydesdale like me to be competitive this week :oops:

Colin Hello, beer !!

Colin,

Unfortunately I won't make it tonight as my car is off the road and there is no way I will get back from work in time :-(

Will just have to use tomorrows cycle commute as a substitute for tonights session of pain and suffering :angryfire

Enjoy.

Davie

• Members

Colin

Route :- Beith road with first sprint at Howwood sign.

First climb Newton of Beltrees sign at top of Mur de Beltrees

next sprint Ayrshire sign 500m past R/B on Beith road just before Beith, this is a double dunter as it leads onto Beith sprint at top of wee incline ( not a climb).

Down past Beith cemetery and next sprint 500m after you turn onto Lochwinnoch road its an Ayrshire sign. Next sprint downhill into Kilbirnie . Turn at roundabout to retrace back to Beith .

Climb sprint at Beith sign.

Across Beith road for climb sprint at top of golf course.

Over onto rocky road and past Greenacres for climb sprint at top of hill past Roebank resevoir. Descend to Howwood and double points at Johnstone sign Sprint

Mul has ridden this course with me as a points race in past , so can give some feedback . It has something for everyone with all types of road conditions eg steep ,short ,steady climbs . Uphill , downhill , straight , twisty sprints.

WHO SUGGESTED THAT THEN??????? :roll:

The promise of many local hills brought out the climbers with 7 in total (Darryl, Kenny C, Big Al, David T, Ian M, Charlie and myself) departing bang on 1900.

A few lesser known and rarely used roads were used to link up the climbs (approx 8 in total) and surfaces could only be described as varying.

Can't comment on the King of the Mountains standings as I was invariably lagging behind (checking that no one had sufferred a mechanical honest) and there was only really 1 sprint at the end. I managed to make a right mess of this expecting the sign to be before the RH turn at the golf course when it is actually past it. Kenny and David spotted the 30 sign shortly after we had turned right and got the jump :angryfire

I must make sure and check with Ian who makes his innertubes so I can invest in shares. Another puncture for him whilst descending West Glen (probably the worst of the varying surfaces) resulted in a brief respite mid ride Oh ya dancer !

Hope all enjoyed.

Colin Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Whilst I was a distant 4th I feel i have to claim the 30mph race as I was the only one to pass the sign as it was on my way home. You guys turned right before it. Sad or what. Another great route from Colin and already looking forward to next Thursday.